Which straight razor did you use today?

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
brothers

Re: Which straight razor did you use today?

Post by brothers »

Friday, September 4th

Filarmonica 14 razor. I gave it a good thorough stropping and the edge seems quite keen. The shave was great. I love my straight razors.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yesterday, the 7th, the blade of the day was the 15/16 Boker King Cutter. It's been a while since I used it. I gave it a good turn on a couple of strops, and the result was good.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

First shave with my newest razor --- Puma INOX square point 7/8 razor with faux tortoise scales.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Wade & Butcher 5/8 wedge razor
Gary

Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

6/8 Wacker SS
Cade
homemade boar
This is one of the razors I've been using a lot lately along with a DD and a SHB OVB. Add some Oxford and Cambridge, de Ver Gulde Hand and Le savon des Volcans and we have everything covered for the last couple of months. As far as brushes go 2 badgers (Shavemac, Semogue and this boar. Have a good one.
screenshot on pc
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gary

Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Very nice Gary.
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

Boker 4/8 Extra Hollow. This razor has a coticule edge which is very comfortable but struggles a bit through the tough upper lip area. I really like this small size for its handling.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

Wade & Butcher barber's notch razor with deep engraving on the blade. Near full wedge. Smooth as silk and quiet as a mouse.

Gary

Zot!

Post by Zot! »

Cranford Razor Works (circa 1920) 5/8 Round Point
Ron
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

Hart Steel 5/8 Square Point--this razor still has the factory edge. It is very sharp and comfortable. I think I read somewhere that Hart uses a Escher stone. If so, I like the feel. This one has the initials TV on it. The synthetic scales are shaped with a point instead of a rounded end near the pin. I had to file it down a bit so that it doesn't interfere with stropping.
Ron
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Wacker
Salters Sandalwood SC
homemade brush with SOC knot
[url=http://postimage.org/]
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Rumaging around in my meager collection, looking for something that was still fairly sharp, I found a 5/8 Fredrick Reynolds restored and honed by Traveller over at SRP.

In spite of it being ignored for several years, a thorough stropping and a shaky hand resulted in a very nice shave. Hopefully my hands will steady over the next few weeks and I'll regain my muscle memory on the hones, as it is so much nicer than DE shaving.

My old Saville Row brush and some lavender cream (Razor Rock) rounded out the shave.

No pictures, but I'm happy!

Regards

Kaptain "trembling with delight" Zero
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

6/8 vintage T.I.
Tabac
homemade boar
I didn't really need a shave today and probably won't need one tomorrow but...... it was a great shave anyway.
[url=http://postimage.org/]
brothers

Post by brothers »

Kaptain, great story. The straights are always a pleasant alternative!
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Heljestrand Viking stainless 6/8

Gary

Zot!

Post by Zot! »

Cranford 5/8 Round Point. I touched it up with a Coticule/C12K yesterday, sharp and very comfortable.
Last edited by Zot! on Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Hah! I finally got that darn 4/8" Carbo Magnetic sharp again.

True, I had to *cheat* a wee bit.... I got tired of working on the bevel, it was almost there, but not quite. I wanted to shave and memories of not having the spare time I wanted at the hones from before caused me to toss an extra layer of tape on the spine. That was all it took to get it back in shaving form. I just hit the 4k, 8k, 16k and my chromium oxide pasted bench strop and all was good again. Sure, I'll have to *fix* it down the road, but I just needed to know I can still do it.... well, that and I needed a shave! :P

AOS Lavender soap and my trusty ol' Savile Row brush rounded out the shave.

Regards

Kaptain "Where's my dang phone... I need to take a picture." Zero
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hess FortyFour stainless razor
Gary

Zot!

Post by Zot! »

Hart Steel 6/8 Round Point touched up with Naniwa/CrO2
Ron