STRAIGHT RAZOR VIRGIN

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
rickcaron2008

STRAIGHT RAZOR VIRGIN

Post by rickcaron2008 »

Hi all..... I am at the age of 60 and wanting to try straight razor shaving, I wonder if someone might be able to provide me with a list of very good vintage straight razors.......Thanks
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I purchased my first (and only) straight razor in a small out of the way antique store in New Hampshire just outside the White Mountains National Forest for $25.

Still have to take one particular Dr up on his offer to hone it though -- just haven't got around to cleaning it still --- 7 months after buying it. :oops:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Rick, as you will soon see, the list of vintage straight razors is almost infinite. Any list I could make would be flawed, simply because there are so many thousands of brands of razors, the vast majority now defunct. However, a great many of them are considered to be quite good. I'd suggest you read (if you haven't already) threads similar to yours over at Straight Razor Place forum. It's the oldest of the shaving threads. I believe they have a forum devoted to answering the basic questions most commonly brought up by beginners. There are probably some links to helpful videos too. My first straight razor was the result of an impulsive trade for a tube of shaving cream. It came to me shave ready, and I did learn the basics on that little razor, but I kept on buying and selling them and reading all I could possibly find, until after more than 3 full years of straight razor shaving I have tried to have enough sense to keep the ones I liked and to turn loose of the ones I didn't care for.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yeah, those guys over at www.straightrazorplace know their stuff.
Regards,
Squire
rickcaron2008

straight razors

Post by rickcaron2008 »

thanks guys i will go to the link that you sent.....i'm looking foreward to buying and trying to use my first straight razor........ty......rick
brothers

Post by brothers »

Rick, here's another guy who makes it painless to get started in SR shaving. His name is Larry Andro, he's a member here at SMF. He specializes in getting guys started without a lot of expense and stress. Here's his web address: http://whippeddog.com/
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
mike'sworld

Post by mike'sworld »

Another big thumbs up to Larry at whippeddog. He's a true gentleman. He has a sight unseen deal to get you started with straight razors.
Almost any vintage blade will hone up nicely and give you a good shave. Stay away from blades made in Pakistan, blades with active rust, blades with rust or corrosion on the cutting edge, blades that have been honed excessively and blades with cracks or chips and you should be fine.
I smell like a Moldovan grandfather
pinklather

Blade quality - edge quality

Post by pinklather »

Hi Rick.

'Saw that there's not been much activity on this thread. I wondered if you had acquired a blade, had more questions.

FWIW, At a certain level of quality in the steel, tempering & primary grinding, the quality you experience will depend more on the quality of the edge than the razor. Certainly different steels will feel different on the face, but a quality soligen and a US blade feel the same on my face.

If I can be of help, pls. let me know.
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

The pinnacle of the hobby-
California Cajun

Re: STRAIGHT RAZOR VIRGIN

Post by California Cajun »

rickcaron2008 wrote:Hi all..... I am at the age of 60 and wanting to try straight razor shaving, I wonder if someone might be able to provide me with a list of very good vintage straight razors.......Thanks
I started at 54 so you're in good company. I think the main focus should be on how well it's honed rather than the brand name.

An alternate suggestion that some people may disagree with is a Parker Shavette, which uses double edge blades split in half. Decide if you want to pursue straight razor shaving for $20 before investing in the strop and honing materials.
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

Hi Rick, I take it you will be buying straight razors then try to sell them here as well?
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
pinklather

CACajun tells ya right.

Post by pinklather »

I don't know if you've considered looking up other forum members in your area and maybe ask if you could get a tutorial - maybe get to take a few strokes w/ one of their blades.

The SRP forum has some VERY skilled guys in the NY/NJ area who have helped guys learn before.

Should your travels take you to the Portland, OR area - give me a hollar. Come over and try my gear. There's nothing like feeling your face get that smooth.

One of the benefits of getting w/ other users is that by trying the various sizes and grinds, you get a feel for what you like best and don't have to buy/sell, trial/error to find what you like.
brothers

Post by brothers »

One way to learn it is to just do it. Reading will only get you so far, after all. You'll cut something, or maybe not if you're superhuman! Anyway, it's nothing to be afraid of. Keeping them sharp was Mr. Gillette's pet peeve, so much so that he invented something or other. The maintenance is the part of the iceburg you don't see until you go under water. (Become totally immersed!) I kind of think Gillette was terribly confused and bored with all the honing and stropping. That was the root of his big problem, I'm thinking. If he'd loved the maintenance, we'd still be toting straight razors in our jeans pockets, or wait, maybe that's a different movie I'm thinking of. Anyway, there's no better satisfaction than being able to honestly say you sharpened your own razor and you did it to suit yourself, your harshest critic. I'm not an expert at it, but it suits me, and I'm the only one who even remotely cares! Have a blast, and enjoy it while you're in the mood to dive in. Oh, one last thing - never look back!
Gary

SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

Whippedog is your best bet..talk with larry..great guy!