Selling vs. keeping straight razors

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
brothers

Selling vs. keeping straight razors

Post by brothers »

I've bought and sold my share, got some pleasant surprises, and some disappointments. Recently I sold off several rare double edge razors, more suitable for a collector than for me. I had a fork in the road and decided not to become a collector of rare and unique DE razors. The ones I have I'll keep, such as the old Gillettes, Merkurs, Schicks, etc., not as display items, but just so I or my family will have a box of old razors to remind them of my fascination with these fun wet-shaving adventures at some future date.

On point: periodically I do a rewind and question my circumstances. First I thought I could easily sell off a dozen or so old straight razors that I don't keep sharp, and don't use any more. Then I realized that they're worth keeping around. So that's what I'm going to do. I use 7 really good shavers, and I'm finding that I am more and more attached to maintaining and using those 7 regularly until the day comes that I decide to go in a different direction with the biologically relentless choice to remove facial hair every day or so.

So my plan is to hone all of them up, oil them well, and just store the ones I don't currently use until circumstances dictate otherwise. They make me feel comfortable just having them around.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Gary -- I saw the title of this thread and I immediately thought -- "wow -- some new straights are about to come up on the selling forum." Guess I was wrong, eh? :(
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yep, if I sold these, I'd regret it. Now I know of some fellows, Bill Ellis and Chris Moss just to name two, who have hundreds/thousands of old straight razors, and I can't even comprehend the effort and expense it must have taken to assemble that many razors. Selling those would be a full time job for someone.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
giammi

Post by giammi »

Which 7 razors did you keep?
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
brothers

Post by brothers »

Giammi, I've got these to shave with

Filarmonica 14
Hart Steel
Boker King Cutter 15/16
Hess Fortyfour Stainless
Henkels Friodur
Clauss
SSA

What razors do you use?
Gary

giammi

Post by giammi »

brothers wrote:Giammi, I've got these to shave with

Filarmonica 14
Hart Steel
Boker King Cutter 15/16
Hess Fortyfour Stainless
Henkels Friodur
Clauss
SSA

What razors do you use?
Sounds like a good rotation to me.

At the moment I am using mostly

Filarmonica 12
Henkels Friodur 7/8
Wade & Butcher Wedge
Böker King Cutter 5/8
Puma 6/8
Robert Klaas 5/8
Le Coultre
Giammi

brothers

Post by brothers »

Giammi, how do you like the Puma? I've heard they're some of the best-made razors.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I've kept the Bergisher and a few heirloom pieces, the rest I gave away.
Regards,
Squire
giammi

Post by giammi »

brothers wrote:Giammi, how do you like the Puma? I've heard they're some of the best-made razors.
From my experience I can recommend them without hesitation.

I have a Puma 91 in 6/8 full of rust pits. It is ugly as hell and it is one of the razors I use the most and needs to be honed the least.
Giammi

brothers

Post by brothers »

That's a great recommendation! I know exactly what you're talking about.
Gary