Like riding a bicycle...

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Like riding a bicycle...

Post by rustyblade »

Haven't shave for about two years with a straight. Part time constraints, part laziness. My strop has been hanging on the wall the entire time, unloved. I was digging around under the sink and pulled out my Henckel's Platinum, polished out some water stains, sharpened it up and had a go. Results are not bad, third day back into it. The honing and stropping motions are completely natural. So is shaving for that matter.

I have to resist going through my straight razor collection box, I just want to stick with this old favourite for now. There are so many shiny razors in there...oh.

The Henckel's, which I picked up in mint condition at a bargain price a few years back (ebay):

Richard
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Richard -- those are beautiful razors.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Welcome back in the fold!

In my life I've used a straight for the majority of the time since I was 12 years old. However, I have had periods of up to 6 months etc where I've used something else to shave with, just to experience the difference, accommodate time constraints etc., etc. But I have always come back to the straight razor. I just can't get comfortable with anything else like I can with this. It may not be the fastest way to shave but once mastered it's not so slow either and can be done well in relatively little time.

Hopefully you'll derive enough pleasure to stick with this, at least I hope so. Good luck!

Chris
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Feels good to be back. I've seemed to have developed a new straight shaving routine that saves some time (small children, etc., you know the story). I'm going to start a new thread on stropping.
EL Alamein wrote:Welcome back in the fold!

In my life I've used a straight for the majority of the time since I was 12 years old. However, I have had periods of up to 6 months etc where I've used something else to shave with, just to experience the difference, accommodate time constraints etc., etc. But I have always come back to the straight razor. I just can't get comfortable with anything else like I can with this. It may not be the fastest way to shave but once mastered it's not so slow either and can be done well in relatively little time.

Hopefully you'll derive enough pleasure to stick with this, at least I hope so. Good luck!

Chris
Richard