bluing older razors and cheap razor stands

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
av_andy

bluing older razors and cheap razor stands

Post by av_andy »

Gents,
I thought I would pass along an alternative to the standard sanding and buffing route in regards to razor restoration. After Baxters of CA introduced their limited edition blued steel Hart razor http://www.baxterofcalifornia.com/baxte ... ight-razor I got interested in doing the same with some older razors I had laying around. I didn't want to spend over a hundred bucks for 10lb of bluing salts. I found the following recipe http://forum1.aimoo.com/cast___boolits_ ... 60258.html and the results were great. I highly recommend it to any one else who is interested. Obvious notes of caution, you are dealing with Lye at a temperature of 280F it should absolutely be done outside! I used a #5 tin can and a turkey fryer with the blades mostly submerged for ~20 minutes. I also needed a cheap razor stand for the ~ 20 straight razors. I used some oak 1 x 2 Lowes and ripped in half to 3/4 x 3/4, along with some leftover zebra-wood for gussets and 6 gauge grounding rod for pins I think it turned out very respectably. Thanks to everyone who post on here, without the massive amount of info I couldn't pulled this off.

What Me Worry?
Tony
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tony, this is a remarkable project. Very nicely done. Thanks for the photos and the links. I just learned a lot of new information. I like the razor stand.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
randydance062449

Post by randydance062449 »

Thanks for the link. It will be very useful :)
Randy Tuttle
randydance@comcast.net
A mentor for the Minnesota area