Stropping With Linen Only

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Stropping With Linen Only

Post by rustyblade »

Even before I got back into straight razor shaving after a hiatus, I always preferred stropping on linen, specifically Tony Miller's Genuine Linen which I'm not sure he even sells anymore. The truth is in the shave and I can't tell much difference between leather/linen, linen, or leather only. Most importantly linen is always flatter, smooth, and it is FAST. My leather drags too much, isn't flat enough, and as a result of the drag I end up having to re-adjust the scales in my hand too often (the scales are reasonably tight). It works.
Richard
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I think some tougher steels prefer linen stropping - used to be true for the TI Eagles. With my Friodurs I use the strop conventionally - linen after the shave and leather before it.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I do linen then leather religiously. Over the years I have tried just one or the other and then after a stretch went back to both and it made a difference. It was a much smoother, better shave when using both.

I use a TI Eagle near exclusively so the good doctors observation is probably relevant. I have a Friodur but haven't used it in years. I haven't always used the Eagle exclusively but my recollection is that pretty much all razors like both linen and leather together.

In the end it's whatever gets you there so do what you do, experiment and change up. Good luck.

Chris
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

All we're really doing is realigning the edge right? Right??? :wink:
Richard
brothers

Post by brothers »

My stropping regimen for the past two years takes place the evening before the shave. First on canvas followed by both sides of a vintage Martin Rubin horsehide strop, first on the back with a bit more pull, then on the front to finish up.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
kenrup
Vendor

Post by kenrup »

Stropping with fabric is a personal experiment. Some swear by it others swear at it. I find one of the foremost decisions in using the fabric or not is how your leather works for you. The best advice I can give is to experiment with what you have. Find what works and stick with it.
Ken

God is good! He watches over me, I use a straight razor.

RupRazor.com, Razor Restoration, Honing, Custom Scales, Custom Cowhide and Horsehide Strops.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hey Ken! It's great to see you active at SMF. I trust all's well with you these days.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ChrisThies

Re: Stropping With Linen Only

Post by ChrisThies »

Hi, Tony Miller's Genuine Linen is available in Australia? I visited even the Linen House but unable to get it!
Linen and Moore http://www.rushk.com.au/linen-and-moore Online Australia.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Welcome, Chris. I think for international customers you would have to have a strop sent to a US member, and have them forward it to you. I find it very irksome when businesses refuse to ship abroad, but I guess they have their reasons.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Hello Chris and welcome to SRP.

For the record, you can order a linen only strop from Torolf in Norway, he ships pretty much anywhere.

Beautiful strops, but alas, I have yet to order one for myself.

http://scrupleworks.com/strops.html

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
brothers

Re:

Post by brothers »

drmoss_ca wrote:I think some tougher steels prefer linen stropping - used to be true for the TI Eagles. With my Friodurs I use the strop conventionally - linen after the shave and leather before it.

Chris
This is how I'm going to use my new Jemico Red Russian leather and linen when I get back into my straight razors in a couple of weeks from now.
Gary