Home Page | Gallery | PM Inbox | Forum Index  
 

The Problem With Straights

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.

The Problem With Straights

Postby rustyblade » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:47 pm

Is that you end up collecting so many beautiful razors you forget which ones you have.

Found this in my box today and shaved with it. Forgot I had it after my hiatus. Great shave.

Image
Richard
User avatar
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo
 
Posts: 10461
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:27 pm
Location: Ontario

Postby drmoss_ca » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:17 am

And Friodurs hold their edge for an ungodly length of time.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
User avatar
drmoss_ca
Admin
 
Posts: 9013
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:39 pm

Postby brothers » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:45 am

Coincidentally, tomorrow will be the day I get to shave with my own Friodur, and I know it'll be a good shave. It looks almost identical to Richard's, except it has a round tip.
Gary
brothers
 
Posts: 17037
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Oklahoma City USA

Postby rustyblade » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:45 pm

The nice thing about the Friodurs is I don't have to worry about the ol' rusty blade.
Richard
User avatar
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo
 
Posts: 10461
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:27 pm
Location: Ontario

Postby EL Alamein » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:25 pm

Problem? What problem? I don't see a problem with this. ;)
EL Alamein
 
Posts: 2554
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:55 pm

Postby rustyblade » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:25 pm

EL Alamein wrote:Problem? What problem? I don't see a problem with this. ;)


Do you still have only One Blade?
Richard
User avatar
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo
 
Posts: 10461
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:27 pm
Location: Ontario

Postby brothers » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:52 pm

The Friodur gave me an outstanding shave this morning, with the SRD Opus X soap. Funny how the feel of a SR shave differs from that of a DE/SE. Starting out, it felt maybe a bit rougher than the others, but now, about 13 or 14 hours later, it feels pretty smooth, considering. This is just one of the reasons I won't (can't) stop using the straight razors on a regular basis.
Gary
brothers
 
Posts: 17037
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Oklahoma City USA

Postby EL Alamein » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:01 am

rustyblade wrote:
EL Alamein wrote:Problem? What problem? I don't see a problem with this. ;)


Do you still have only One Blade?


I plead the 5th Amendment.
EL Alamein
 
Posts: 2554
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:55 pm

Postby Spenser » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:09 pm

Okay brothers, consider yourself call out _

I grew up in Tulsa, at least a hundred years ago _

Why is Straight Edge bettler than Double Edge _

The more I read, the more I learn(ed), DE was/is better _

Help me _

Ever heard of Nathan Hale HS _

Those were the days _
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
User avatar
Spenser
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:34 pm
Location: Colorado Rocky Mtns

Postby EL Alamein » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:15 pm

Spenser wrote:Okay brothers, consider yourself call out _

I grew up in Tulsa, at least a hundred years ago _

Why is Straight Edge bettler than Double Edge _

The more I read, the more I learn(ed), DE was/is better _

Help me _

Ever heard of Nathan Hale HS _

Those were the days _


Hi Spenser,

Well, it's really a personal choice as to why a straight may be better for someone. Others will find a DE better.

When I was a kid of about 12 or 13 I started shaving (it was the early 1980's), I tried everything available then and settled on a straight because I liked it the most. The shave was close and forgiving. I also found it to be the most versatile shaving tool out of everything.

The only thing that will convince you either way is to try one. If the bug hasn't bitten you yet though I'd advise you just let it go. Hope that helps.

Chris
EL Alamein
 
Posts: 2554
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:55 pm

Postby brothers » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:43 am

Hi Spenser. I enjoy using the straight razors alongside my SE (Cobra Classic) and and my DE (Barbasol with the floating head). I like them all because they are just different, and using them keeps me interested in the whole process. Additionally, the straight razors have this whole maintenance thing going on, which many people find to be a challenge either good or bad, or both. The time and money spent in chasing the sweet spot in straight razor shaving (finding the right razors, hones, strops, sharpening and shaving techniques, et al) can be considerable.
Gary
brothers
 
Posts: 17037
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Oklahoma City USA

Re: The Problem With Straights

Postby DoughBoy68 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:44 pm

I don't have enough of them.............
"If you knew half of what I have forgot you would be an idiot" by DoughBoy68
User avatar
DoughBoy68
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:06 pm
Location: Crossville, TN

Re: The Problem With Straights

Postby brothers » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:00 pm

DoughBoy68 wrote:I don't have enough of them.............


The thing is, I've had too many, probably still do, but the reason is that as you say, I never feel like I have "enough" of them. There's always one more out there that seems to be calling my name. I'm just a piker, because I know a few guys who have thousands of straight razors.
Gary
brothers
 
Posts: 17037
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Oklahoma City USA

Re: The Problem With Straights

Postby Sam » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:00 am

Wow. I loved my Friodur. And it was easily the best at keeping an edge. Though I did love the looks of the Dovo Bismarck and a few TI's. And it is right, the maintenance of the straights can be fun and it can be exasperating, trying to keep that perfect edge. I primarily used the Hand American strop board with the pastes. Thought now I have a Spyderco sharpening system that could work.

I might try the straight again, if I find a decent one, I may just get it for grins and giggles to see if I take it back up. I have the Spyderco stone and I guess I can find a cheap strop. Might be just the ticket until the Huntlee comes out
User avatar
Sam
M'Learned Friend
 
Posts: 11580
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:13 am
Location: memphis, tennessee

Re: The Problem With Straights

Postby brothers » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:11 am

Sam, are you still thinking about jumping back into straight razors at some point?
Gary
brothers
 
Posts: 17037
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Oklahoma City USA

Re: The Problem With Straights

Postby brothers » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:21 am

brothers wrote:
DoughBoy68 wrote:I don't have enough of them.............


The thing is, I've had too many, probably still do, but the reason is that as you say, I never feel like I have "enough" of them. There's always one more out there that seems to be calling my name. I'm just a piker, because I know a few guys who have thousands of straight razors.


Just an update, after finding that pair of Dubl Ducks several months ago, I'm just cruising along with my small group of daily shavers. Now it seems that keeping this little family sharp and in regular use without further acquisitions is very satisfying. I might pick up a hone now and then, but that's about it.
Gary
brothers
 
Posts: 17037
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Oklahoma City USA

Re: The Problem With Straights

Postby brothers » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:04 pm

Change is constant, isn't it. New (to me) incoming razors of the non-straight genders have caused me to suspend my regular rotation. I keep reminding myself that now would be a good time to give my straight razors a good sharpening and start using them regularly, because I do enjoy them so very much.
Gary
brothers
 
Posts: 17037
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Oklahoma City USA

Re: The Problem With Straights

Postby brothers » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:33 pm

Following up on this two year old thread, picking up right where I left off. Those straight razors are still waiting for me to get back to them. But this latest single edge razor (The General by Colonial Razors) showed up and firmly and gently took over. If I eventually get bored with near-perfection in the form of an SE and a Feather AC blade, hopefully I'll stop and spend the time sharpening up a few straight razors and get back into the habit of shaving with them.
Gary
brothers
 
Posts: 17037
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Oklahoma City USA

Re: The Problem With Straights

Postby drmoss_ca » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:48 am

You need pretty tough skin to use a Feather AC blade every day for an extended period, so I'm guessing a little break with use of a real razor instead will be needed. :wink:

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
User avatar
drmoss_ca
Admin
 
Posts: 9013
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:39 pm

Re: The Problem With Straights

Postby brothers » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:48 pm

Chris, I would have agreed with you a month ago. If there is a game changer, in my case it will be The General. High efficiency, no skin irritation from daily use, seemingly a perfect balance of stainless steel handle to aluminum razor head, what else matters? I've been skipping a few days shaving lately because it's almost like I don't really need to shave every day anymore. Notice I didn't say this is my game changer, too early to say. Here's my prediction: if it does change my game, I won't even realize it until one day I'll be sitting here trying to figure out how long it's been since I used to use my straight and DE razors.
Gary
brothers
 
Posts: 17037
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Oklahoma City USA

Next

Return to Straight Razors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests