Shavegeek nitpicking

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Shavegeek nitpicking

Post by bernards66 »

Well, okay then...so I just saw the current film version of Anna Karenina and I have a question. In the opening scene one of the characters is quickly shaved by, presumably, a servant. The man briskly hones up the edge on what seems to be a four sided sharpening steel, similiar to what one might use for a carving knife. This is in itself kind of an interesting twist and as he's doing this one gets a quick glimpse of the razor. It appeared to me to be a full hollow ground blade. The story is set in the 1870s so, were hollow ground blades already in use at that time or no?
Regards,
Gordon
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Yes, they were. I haven't seen the movie so I can't comment on the steel - but I'm not aware of any such thing being used on razors.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

How was the rest of the film?

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Does our clean shaven hero get the girl? You see, I have neither read the book nor seen the movie. Of course I've heard of the existence of the book, but evidently this was not assigned as a class project when I was floundering about junior high and high school. Maybe I can pick up a few details about the story from googling it or searching wikipedia. You guys wouldn't expect any less from me, would you? :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Clive, I thought the movie was good but was a little too surreal or 'artsy' for my taste. I caught part of an interview with the producer and the screen writer on Charlie Rose and he was saying how he was looking for a unique approach since the story had been done on film more than once before. Well, he succeeded in that, but not having seen the other versions I would have preferred it if he'd played it 'straighter'. I've not read the novel; Tolstoy's two major works have always been just too daunting a trip for me. I'm not a big reader of fiction and those books are seriously long and complex. With movies like this I always get hooked into making note of the historical detail; you know, how accurate did they get it. In that regard this gent is aces. He's the same man that brought us Pride and Prejuice and the nuances he captured in that one were truly impressive. Anyway, I enjoyed the movie well enough but I don't think I'd go out of my way to see it again. I'll be interested to hear if anyone else has a take on that bit with the sharpening steel or the razor itself.
Regards,
Gordon