First time 90%

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
sgtrecon212

First time 90%

Post by sgtrecon212 »

So, I decided to give this straight razor thing a shot. As per the recommendations here, my favorite forum, I bought a Parker SR1 razor.

Used it for 90% of the my shave and all told, it went pretty well. Only one or two little dings, very little blood loss. Only shaved WTG, and got closer than I thought I would.

The rundown: Turn TV in the bedroom to the "Maltshop Oldies" channel on Direct. Shower, conditioner on the face. Got out, Argan oil on the face while still wet. Lathered up with VDH Deluxe, using a "best" brush that our dear departed Sue sold me when I just started wetshaving. (Great brush, my fave). Parker SR1 w/ half a Personna Hospital blade. With the grain only, and pretty slowly. Need a tiny bit of speed to keep the momentum, because with the light weight of a shavette, it seems to drag if you don't move it along a bit. Finished with a hot rinse followed by a cold splash. Nivea sensitive skin face lotion, a bit of Bath and Body Works "Noir" ...And we are good to go.

Impressions... Kind of a fun challenge to keep from slicing my face all up, while being efficient and fairly close. I can see me moving forward to a real straight. Very cool, but not as close as my Fatboy, because I didn't go ATG. I did find myself shaving the contours of my beard more angular instead of in a curve. Just much easier for this shave anyway. The wife did a quick once-over and approved..Good enough for a first time.

Thanks for all the advice in the forum.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Tip my hat. Well done!

Are you going to go all in, or is straight shaving going to be a now and again sort of thing?

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
sgtrecon212

Post by sgtrecon212 »

Not sure where I stand on it yet..I'm pretty fascinated by the whole deal, actually! Wait and see attitude right now.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
brothers

Post by brothers »

Steve, in some quarters I get the impression that a few guys mistakenly think it has to be all or nothing with the straight razors. I haven't found that to be the case. I like them and am honored to be able to use and maintain them alongside my safety razors. I'd just say take it easy and take your time. Get a few you really enjoy using the most or want to collect, then devote yourself, over time, to getting to use them and maintain them on a schedule that suits you.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
sgtrecon212

Post by sgtrecon212 »

2 for 2... Another good shave..Not as great as the first one, as I got nicked a tiny bit more. More weepers than nicks, I guess.

I was down with the intestinal bug for a few days, I looked like it, too. Needed a shower and shave, and was pretty pleased at what I got. I did a couple of swipes with my Fat Boy to make up for some awkward swipes, but all said, I was very happy.

The only difference in material was that I used Proraso red tube this time.

Still like the challenge. Kinda thinking I may do this pretty often now.

:D
Steve
______
Go Cubbies