CJB Disposable Blade Straight

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
SharpSpine

CJB Disposable Blade Straight

Post by SharpSpine »

Received this a couple days ago and my first shave with it will be in the morning using a Feather Pro blade. Anyone here have experience with this one? Also any tips would be appreciated.
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
themba

Post by themba »

I have one on the way to me. I can't wait to give it a go. A while ago, I purchased quite a few feather blades to use in my injectors. Since the Feather razors are out of my price range at the moment, I thought I would give this a shot.
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

That's new to me. What does it hold, injector blades?
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

GA Russell wrote:That's new to me. What does it hold, injector blades?
No, the Feather Artist Club blades. Also the Kai Captain blades too. Very similar to injector blades but a good bit wider.

themba

Post by themba »

These razors sell for about around $15 in Korea. You can actually order them from the Korean website, if you can fumble your way through the Korean. However, shipping is rather high. The price will end up around about 30-50 dollars for one. This is still a whole lot less than Feather razors. The quality is obviously not the same, but they are very good considering the price. Here is Gmarket in English website, well some of it is in English. The more you buy the cheaper the razors are. However, like I said, the shipping is high. A B&B member who lives in Korea purchased one for me, $30 shipped.

http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/ ... ass_kind=T
RonCall

Post by RonCall »

I've tried or owned all models from Feather and Kai but never got around to try a CJB. But I hear good things about it, shave should pretty much be the same as the more expensive models as it's the blade that gives the fantastic shaves (for me anyhow).

If you keep it loose in your hand and use no pressure you should be good, let us know how things turned out.
themba

Post by themba »

I finally got my razor. I had quite a bit of trouble with the postal service. Even though I tracked the package, and it showed that it arrived at my location, they had trouble finding it in their system The postman even lied and stated on their tracking system that a delivery notice was left when one was not. Anyway, it here and I will try it out today.

The build quality obviously is not on the same level as Feather razors, but for the price ($30 shipping included) I would not expect it to be, so I am satisfied in that regard. The disparity in build quality mostly has to do with the handle on the CJB vs that on the Feather.

Over all, the CJB is a very good value. If these were ordered in bulk then the prices would be even lower.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

I just took delivery of a Feather Japanese SS, just for dabbling, my two other previous straight razor efforts were aborted. Will give it a first try this weekend.
Good shaving,

Gary
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I have had a couple of Feathers, and found them very effective. If you plan to use daily, be sure to keep a very low angle of attack and use as little pressure as will keep the edge on your skin. Otherwise you will thin your skin until you become red and raw.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
themba

Post by themba »

I have had a couple of Feathers, and found them very effective. If you plan to use daily, be sure to keep a very low angle of attack and use as little pressure as will keep the edge on your skin. Otherwise you will thin your skin until you become red and raw.
Great point! What you stated relates to one of the problem I may have with this razor. In order to cut my whiskers I need to employ a much steeper angle at times to get hairs that lays totally flat and are pressed in the skin. I could get away with doing it with my straight razors but I am not sure if I can with the CJB razor and the Feather blades.

My shave today was great. I used Feather professional blades. I used as low an angle as possible. I had zero irritation, or nicks. I used my modified Micromatic Flying Wing SE razor to finish up on areas where stubborn flat whiskers remained. I will have to experiment with the razor. to see if I can get it to handle these stubborn flat whisker without ill effects.

On a side note, I have a Genco Safedge 5/8 straight razor on the way to me. The Genco Safedge has a safety guard, but can easily be used as a pain old straight razor once the guard is removed. I heard the Genco Safedge razors are somewhat tough to sharpen, so we shall see. I also purchased an all stainless steel disposable type straight that takes DE blades. I was looking at Parker SR1 razors, but decided on this model since it has a stainless steel handle as well as blade holder.

I will also have to get some injector blades to try in my CJB since it looks like it should be able to handle them.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

The Feather SS has a new designed head which by most reports has mellowed out the bite a little. I shaved my sideburns and cheeks this morning with a low angle and it worked well. It looks great and will be fun to test out.
Good shaving,

Gary
themba

Post by themba »

I have been shaving with the CJB for the past few days. Unlike my Weck Sextoblade, with Fromm hair shaper blades, the CJB with Feather Professional blades, seem less likely to cut, nick or cause irritation. I was even able to adjust the angle to a slightly steeper one without any issues.

The only problems are that I have gotten a whole lot of ingrown hairs and some razor bumps in a few areas. Part of the problem might be caused by me not shaving exclusively WTG. My whiskers grow in all kinds of directions, instead of having more uniform growth. The CJB cuts pretty close, so I will have to be extra careful and make sure that I stick to WTG.
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

I used my CJB for the second time today. Yes, I took quite a bit of time away from it. I actually thought I'd never use it again but felt like giving it a whirl on my 3-days of growth.

1st pass WTG went great. XTG was a little tougher when I had to reach across my face to the opposite side. I may just have to use my non-dominant hand to get more than just a single pass.

I am much more pleased with how this attempt went. I may even try again tomorrow.

gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Brian, just a little encouragement bump for your thread - I pull my Japanese Feather SS out 3-4 times a week over the past month or so. I am now getting great results on my cheeks, good results on my neck and pretty poor results on my upper lip and chin. I am finding the SS to be very effective for a close and comfortable shave on the good parts. Two cuts so far, one minor and one major, the major was entirely my fault and was a stroke that I wish I took back, the minor occured on a simple blade placement issue, just went in a little to fast at the wrong angle.

I find shaving with the Feather quite the blast, time consuming but very satisfying. Not sure if I will keep it up in the long haul but the project is getting me charged up every morning.
Good shaving,

Gary
brothers

Re: CJB Disposable Blade Straight

Post by brothers »

An old thread, but the information and the discussion is very current and relevant to me. I've already got some Feather Pro and Kai Captain blades, thanks to Cobra and Mongoose razors. Maggard's Razors now carries the CJB in stock here in USA at a great price $29.99. I'm going to get one and find out for myself how well these razors work. One bit of other news, TryABlade.com now carries a new source of these blades, "Kamisori" at a very reasonable price. He's a clever marketer, selling the blades individually so someone (me for example) can buy any quantity short of a full magazine just to see if they're going to work before buying 20 or so and then finding out they aren't my cup of tea. I bought four (4) Kamisoris. I plan to use them in the Mongoose as well as the CJB. Just doing what I like to do, exploring new stuff and talking about it if anyone's interested. I'll let you guys know how this works out in a few days.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Re: CJB Disposable Blade Straight

Post by brothers »

Well, let's just say it's going to be a challenging puzzle to solve. Nothing whatsoever "like a straight razor". More like uh...uh...something else? My technique with this razor on the first time sucks... Let's just say that. :shock:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444