Straight razor shave video

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Shave4Fun

Straight razor shave video

Post by Shave4Fun »

This guy has is figured out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4705yIVe2s
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Ridiculous! Two hands at once for much of it? Bet he feels like sandpaper afterwards. A rubbish shave.

I have yet to see a YouTube straight shave that looks as if it will feel halfway decent afterwards.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

I can't say it was Youtube, but Mr. Lynn A. has his original(?) video that pretty much sets the standard for informative and effective instruction on the topic of "how to" shave with a straight razor for all the rest. I will give credit also to Richard (rustyblade), whose youtube video is also an effective demonstration of a young man with a skillful hand while he uses his razor, I believe it's an AC? Forgive me Richard if I've misidentified the razor you used. Your background music was nicely done also.

At the opposite end of the scale, all the rest seem to be defined by the one where the guy shaves with an axe. The other one that makes me cringe when I remember it is the guy shaving in the kitchen with a lot of people talking in the background, who is shaving as fast as he can, and in the course of the repulsive display, manages to cut himself while he speeds through the carnage.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

If you want to see the most cringeworthy straight shave ever, you will have to buy the DVD, which shows Harrelson Stanley of Shapton shaving for the first time with a straight razor. He has quite a bit of a beard and the razor isn't sharp enough. It would be funny if it didn't look so painful. I wonder if a two minute extract would be considered 'fair use'? The DVD also promotes a method of honing that is apparently used for chisels, where the blade is placed edge down on the hone, and perpendicular to it, then drawn across the hone. It might be that this would work better for the angles of a chisel bevel, but I can testify that it is a quick way to ruin a straight edge, and you will see what I mean when you remember that it is the same way I zero an razor that has been overhoned and has a wire edge.

Chris.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Don't understand the two-handed grip or what appears excessive force?
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
RazoRock

Post by RazoRock »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:Don't understand the two-handed grip or what appears excessive force?
ditto, i don't get it... pressure seems excessive