Question about rust

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Icarus1

Question about rust

Post by Icarus1 »

This morning, while shaving, I noticed a terrible smell coming from the joint of my razor (where the scales connect to the tang). It smelled very carbon-y. I imagine this is from some kind of improper care, although I'm not sure exactly what kind. Also, is there any way to make this smell go away? Anybody else experienced this?

Thinking back on it, I just stropped with abrasives. Would this cause this?
—Coltrane

Ceci n'est pas une rasoir.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Does it have celluloid scales? If so place it in quarantine and start thinking about new scales. When celluloid decomposes it sometimes does so at an accelerated rate, the reasons for this are uncertain. But it seems the vapours given off by rotting celluloid will not only rust and pit a blade, they seem to start the process in nearby celluloid scales.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Coltrane, not having a clue myself, I'd give the advice from Chris great credence.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Icarus1

Post by Icarus1 »

drmoss_ca wrote:Does it have celluloid scales? If so place it in quarantine and start thinking about new scales. When celluloid decomposes it sometimes does so at an accelerated rate, the reasons for this are uncertain. But it seems the vapours given off by rotting celluloid will not only rust and pit a blade, they seem to start the process in nearby celluloid scales.

Chris
I don't think it's celluloid. It just looks like plain dark colored plastic. I might be wrong, though it isn't shiny at all. How would I find out?
—Coltrane

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Show us a pic, or tell us some more about the make of razor? Is the smell like vinegar? (Carbon itself has no scent, so I assume you mean it smells burnt.)

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Icarus1

Post by Icarus1 »

Sorry for the lateness of the reply. Here it is.

It doesn't smell like vinegar. It's disappeared somewhat, but I don't know how to describe it other than "carcinogenic".
—Coltrane

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I think that's a Liberty Bell razor, so it was made just after 1900, and the scales are likely celluloid. Camphor is part of the manufacturing process of celluloid and it may be that which you describe as 'carcinogenic'. Generally, the colour of celluloid affects its stability, and translucent and green scales have been considered by some to be especially prone to rot.

Lacking a sniff of the scales, I can only suggest you quarantine it, and if it is a razor you love, consider a re-scale. If it is your only straight, you can carry on as usual, as it won't matter. (But I never heard of a straight shaver who didn't end up acquiring - very necessary, my dear - many more than one razor!)

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Icarus1

Post by Icarus1 »

drmoss_ca wrote:I think that's a Liberty Bell razor, so it was made just after 1900, and the scales are likely celluloid. Camphor is part of the manufacturing process of celluloid and it may be that which you describe as 'carcinogenic'. Generally, the colour of celluloid affects its stability, and translucent and green scales have been considered by some to be especially prone to rot.

Lacking a sniff of the scales, I can only suggest you quarantine it, and if it is a razor you love, consider a re-scale. If it is your only straight, you can carry on as usual, as it won't matter. (But I never heard of a straight shaver who didn't end up acquiring - very necessary, my dear - many more than one razor!)

Chris
Thanks! I'm sure I will get used to it in any case. It's my only razor right now, so I guess it doesn't matter anyway. My birthday's coming up in a few months, though, so maybe then I'll have the fungible assets to obtain a new facial exfoliation device, and at that point, I'll consider quarantine.
—Coltrane