Pin Maintenance

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Zot!

Pin Maintenance

Post by Zot! »

I happened on Lynn's Pin Tightening Maintenance youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb5dp6_JCMM and saw how to tighten up the pivot pin. I guess I have had my str8 long enough and I probably had some bad stropping habits holding the razor for a while. I hadn't thought of giving the pins some taps with a hammer, but I tried it and it worked like a charm. The scales were loose on one razor in particular that had a narrow opening and I had to be very careful closing it or the tip would hit the scales when I closed it. Also the stropping with the loose scales was a pain. Anyway, it is all better now.
Ron
brothers

Re: Pin Maintenance

Post by brothers »

Ron, I recall Bill Ellis saying something like "get the biggest hammer you've got and hit that pin as hard as you can!" as a sarcastic comment about razors with bent pivot pins. I found a small jeweller's hammer at the flea market that seems to be just about perfect for the tap-tap-tap method of tightening up the pin.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Churchill

Post by Churchill »

Back of a sturdy spoon works pretty well too!
Bob
pundi64

Post by pundi64 »

Lynn Abrams on YouTube, in address giving in your thread starter, is the best answer, I've ever seen, I tried it works great, only thing I have changed, since I don't have a half dome hammer, is I used a regular small ball peen hammer. =D>
brothers

Post by brothers »

Old topic but as current and as relevant as ever. The Puma INOX required a slight bit of tightening this morning. At my workbench I have a mildly heavy ball peen hammer that seems ideal for snugging the pins.. Just a couple of gently persuasive strokes in the right direction and the scales were just right.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

+1 on this, I've done it too and it works wonderfully.

Chris