FNG introduction

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
edgefan

FNG introduction

Post by edgefan »

Hello fellow SMFers,

My name is Patrick. I’m 43 years old, I live in Alexandria Va.
I’m new to the forum. So I have a few questions for you people in the know about straight razors.
I have recently (in the past year) become almost obsessed with knife and blade sharpening and honing. Because of my obsession with knife sharpening I thought I would try shaving with a straight razor just so I could keep it sharp. I have Japanese water stones, homemade Strops, and more.
I don’t have a real heavy beard. I usually only shave on Mondays and Wednesdays, and about half of the time I skip Wednesdays and just go with the unshaven look.
I was looking on ebay to find a straight razor for myself and I realized I have no idea what I’m looking at. So I’m here to ask you good folk if maybe you could suggest a razor from ebay for me to buy. And maybe some shaving accessories.
I’m in no hurry I still have to finish my economy size pack of Gillette disposables.
Things to keep in mind
• I have never used a straight razor in my life
• I have no problem with a high maintenance razor. Rust, dulls fast, no problem.
• I’m just looking for something really cool in the $100.00 range. Vintage, maybe historical, just cool.
• An old rusty razor that needs to be brought back to life is a plus. As long as the blade is not in too bad shape. And the handle is OK I would have no idea how to fix a handle.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Any tips or comments are welcome

Patrick
gsgo

Re: FNG introduction

Post by gsgo »

Patrick, welcome to SMF!

There are plenty of gentlemen on the board who are quite well versed in the art of straight razor shaving who I am sure will pipe in and offer some solid advice. I think for $100.00 you should have no trouble finding a very serviceable straight razor from a number of sources to get yourself started.

You may also want to check out www.straightrazorplace.com as another forum which is focused mainly on shaving with the straight razor.
Good shaving,

Gary
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Patrick, welcome aboard. There are a wide range of choices within your budget so take your time. I'll echo Gary's suggestion you visit/join straightrazorplace as that's where some of the real pros hang out. Good hunting.
Regards,
Squire
edgefan

Post by edgefan »

Thank you gary and Squire,

This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Patrick
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome to SMF.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Welcome. You might like to download the free PDF on our home page for more information about all things straight.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Chris I apologize, should have thought of that.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Patrick. Welcome to SMF, and to the world of straight razors. Learning and knowing how to buy, use, and maintain a straight razor is a passion and an art all to itself. It's a journey that seems to last and last. You've been given some excellent advice above. I know that, because that's exactly where I was four years ago, and these resources are incredibly helpful. Here's hoping you will post often at SMF from here on out. Good luck with the SRs!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
dosco

Post by dosco »

edgefan wrote:My name is Patrick. I’m 43 years old, I live in Alexandria Va.
I’m new to the forum. So I have a few questions for you people in the know about straight razors.
So, Patrick, what sort of blade did you acquire?

What were your results when shaving?