A razor with a built in puzzle

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
brothers

A razor with a built in puzzle

Post by brothers »

The issue is not with the steel that was used, it is with the geometrics of the blade. The angle of the blade from the spine to the edge of any functional straight razor is of great importance regarding how well a straight razor performs. The preferred blade angle, if I recall correctly, should be around 14 to 16, considering the width of the spine and the width of the blade from edge to hone line on the spine. This remarkable razor ended up with a score of only 12.64. This is less than optimal in this case.
Last edited by brothers on Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: A razor with a built in puzzle

Post by drmoss_ca »

Two or three layers of electrician's tape is the poor man's answer to that problem.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

I tried it with 3 layers a while back, and it was a step in the right direction but no cigar. I could even go for the 9 layers of tape.
Last edited by brothers on Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

As the disappointments continue, my desire and interest wanes. This is what I imagine one of those cheap razors on ebay from China might be. Maybe the solution to the puzzle is that this one isn't meant to actually shave anyone, but to just sit in the beautiful handmade wooden case and be unique and surrounded by memories of what was, and illusions of what might have been. I've got real razors that hold edges and cut whiskers, and only need to visit hones at great intervals.
Gary