since it was so gently requested

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
function

since it was so gently requested

Post by function »

A vendor at a local antique mall has a bit of a stash of DEs, SEs and Straights. IMO most of the DEs and SEs are priced at market or high for an antique dealer(with some being ridiculously priced and in the wrong box, but I digress. My pic had captured Brothers' attention an the dealer probably has 10 or so Straights along with a couple of those barber's straights with the comb on it to take a DE blade.

So tell me if I head back, what do I want to look for (besides intact blades with no chips out of them), manufacturing names, condition of the blade etc. I am pretty ignorant here, but I can tell you none of these were shiny and new-looking. IF somebody wants to get their hand on one or many of these we can work out a reasonable arrangement of trade or finders fee.

Here is a pic for further temptation:
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: since it was so gently requested

Post by Squire »

Good, sharp pictures of the handles and blades (both sides) and we will do the analysis.
Regards,
Squire
function

Post by function »

So grainy blackberry pics are no good, eh?

I'll see what I can do.
Nick

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

So so pictures will work for identity but only detailed shots can be used to determine value.
Regards,
Squire
function

Post by function »

a follow up, I took a bunch of pics at the shop today on my same carp phone, but hopefully they are better

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/nrsobo/library/str8s
Nick

brothers

Post by brothers »

Nice job Nick. It appears someone was a big fan of narrow-bladed razors. If there had been any 6/8 or 7/8 razors we might have had something to talk about. But regardless, thank you so very much for taking the time and effort to secure these excellent photos for identification purposes.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
function

Post by function »

It is an antique dealer, so that may just have been what was popular in a certain geographical area.

There are actually MORE razors there, I just didn't have the time or patience to take more pics.

The Red Imp razor frustrated me with the broken blade just because it looked cool and I would have wanted it.
Nick

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Very good Nick, yes, just the sort of thing. Did you have any questions?
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Nick, that's usually my luck, the coolest one is more likely to be the one with a big chip broken out of it, it seems like.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Those are indeed the "usual suspects" when you encounter straights at an antique shop. There are exceptions but this is usually the case. Overhoned and broken blades.
Mike