Is it possible to fix a strop that's no good?

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
ShadowsDad

Is it possible to fix a strop that's no good?

Post by ShadowsDad »

Just what the subject says.

I have some Rolls Razor strops that have seen much better days. They have nicks and slices in them and others have seen a great deal of use. Is it possibly to bring the old leather back from the dead w/o putting new leather in place of the old? FWIW, a Rolls Razor strop is a piece of strop leather mounted in the sharpener jig body. It's not a strop as most straight razor users know a strop to be. If anyone would like a picture I can do that.

Thanks gents!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Is it possible to fix a strop that's no good?

Post by drmoss_ca »

If you can get the strop out, and from what I remember of the Rolls I have somewhere it is pretty easy, you will need to resurface it with something abrasive. A pumice stone is the usual tool. The leather has to be ground down around the nicks so that there is no hangnail-type flap waiting to catch the blade, but you don't have to grind the whole surface so that it is all one flat plane. Then you must be sure to remove any bits of abrasive from the leather (which is why we don't use sandpaper as it leaves lots of bits) with a stiff brush. Then some kind of dressing - I would use neat's foot oil to be rubbed in. Not to much as you don't want it slimy, but just enough to slick the surface and increase the draw. Lots of rubbing at this stage, using either a soft cloth or your bare hand.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

If a strop's too far gone, a serviceable replacement is to get a new strip of leather. I enjoy a visit to Tandy.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

:) Yikes! It sounds like a Tandy replacement is the easy way. I'll need to mail order it from Tandy or send the strops to "the strop shop" in the UK for refitting. I never heard of a Tandy in Maine, but I did business with them many years ago in NJ. I'll need to look into this.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

more yikes.

My closest Tandy is in a place I don't enjoy being anywhere near. Plus it's simply to far to make it economical to drive to.

I'll send them to Neil Miller for refitting and be done with it. Maybe he can fit a few with wool felt for me also.

Thanks gents!
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

I have had business dealings with Neil, and can say he's a fine fellow and you have made a good decision.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444