Unable to Put a Decent Edge on a Friodur 472

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Brutus

Unable to Put a Decent Edge on a Friodur 472

Post by Brutus »

Recently I found what I thought to be a nice, clean looking Friodur 472.

It's not my first Friodur, not even my first 472, and so far I have been able to get a nice crisp edge on all of them, even though some took longer than others.
Not this one.

Having honed about 20 razors so far, I tried about four times with this 472 but the razor just wouldn't take a decent edge on the Naniwa 1000.
Using a watchmaker's loupe, I found some pitting on the edge near the point and - worse - a fine hairline-crack on the point that was not visible to the naked eye.

As the hairline crack is in the point, I might consider taking the risk of using the razor IF (and this is a big IF :!: ) I could get a decent edge on it.

Essentially, I consider this razor now a write-off and am prepared to give up on it, unless I had the razor re-ground into a much shorter razor, which I am not terribly keen on.
As I have more than a week's supply of daily Friodurs, its not a great loss and I accept that this comes with the territory when collecting vintage razors.

But does anybody dare to give a second opinion what else I could do with this razor, or do you all agree with my "re-grind" or "write-off" assessment?

Your advice will be very much appreciated....

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
brothers

Re: Unable to Put a Decent Edge on a Friodur 472

Post by brothers »

Brutus, maybe you have already considered bread-knifing it and creating a brand new bevel and creating a new edge, but that would be my recommendation. That would insure clean steel all the way down.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I would put it to a non shaving use, plenty of good razors out there to replace it.
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Squire wrote:I would put it to a non shaving use, plenty of good razors out there to replace it.
+1. Many a vintage razor has come across my bench with the same issues. You just don't know what it's been through all of it's life or if it's a dud. I think there is a quantity of duds out there - either through manufacturing defect, time, or handling over the years. Just move on.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

The crack in the razor justifies considering it a lost cause, if discarding it is on your short list. You've stated the crack isn't in the edge, but in the tip. There wouldn't be any measurable value in any cracked razor. Bill Ellis is adamant that all cracked razors should be thrown away, and I've done that when one of mine was cracked midway along the edge. However, if one wants the practice of creating a new bevel and edge just for the sake of proving it can be made to shave, this would be one to practice on.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh I wouldn't say toss it, rather repurpose it for household use. In flytying for instance the long edge of a straight razor will split a hackle feather easier than a scalpel.
Regards,
Squire
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Squire wrote:Oh I wouldn't say toss it, rather repurpose it for household use. In flytying for instance the long edge of a straight razor will split a hackle feather easier than a scalpel.
I agree.
The razor has now migrated from my bedroom, where I keep the straights (for corrosion prevention), to my study.
Haven't figured out yet for which non-shaving purpose I might eventually use it, but putting it on display is not an option, as I don't see the point in putting something on display that has failed its purpose and has no historic or sentimental value.
(Except to teach me humility as "First razor to successfully resist all my honing efforts" maybe? :wink: )

Kind regards,

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
brothers

Post by brothers »

At flea markets and ebay, I think (other than tying fishing lures :)) the only other household activity other than shaving ever identified for straight razors is a one-time-only screwdriver. They grab it, use it with no effect, and they've broken off a chunk of the edge that immediately destroys the razor forever.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh you can do lotsa stuff with them, open letters, packages, cut twine, open bags of dog food, a sharp edge has many household uses. I don't know anyone who uses them as a screwdriver though.
Regards,
Squire