Straight Razor Shaving Guide

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Straight Razor Shaving Guide

Post by VinceFX »

Chris!!!

This guide is amazing!!! Hands down THE BEST guide I have ever seen on the Internet!!!

Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to put this document together. The pictures are awesome as well as all detailed steps.

I will email you offline about putting this document somewhere on the main shavemyface.com home page.

Vince
:::Vince:::
rschul2

Post by rschul2 »

Chris,

What a superb guide. I'm pretty sure that I am not quite ready for straight razor shaving yet, but just reading the guide makes me realize that I would like to learn some day. Fantastic pictures and descriptions of the entire process. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I'm sure many people will benefit from this guide.
Randy
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Wow!

This is the best guide I have ever read. Articulate, well written and fun to read. After reading your article, I saved it to my hard drive for future reference.

I am now considering buying a straight razor. Thanks for the article Chris.
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

This is how CAR's "Shaving Graces" should've been written. Elegantly written, yet clear, with illustrations throughout =D> . Congrats.

--Mark
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Echoing all the above accolades!!!!
Well done Chris!!!
Very informative, historical, pleasant and easy to read. You cover the subject as none other on the Internet has!

Should be required reading for everyone considering a Straight Razor.

Now.... you aren't considering a move to Austin and starting your own religion I hope!?? :wink:

LOL Gramps :lol:
~~ Larry ~~
AceHarddrive

Post by AceHarddrive »

HA HA!! Good one Larry! Can I be the first "Chris-tian?" What'll we be baptized with...hydrosol?

~Tim :roll:
Gramps wrote:Now.... you aren't considering a move to Austin and starting your own religion I hope!??

The wolf
Is shaved
So neat and trim
Red Riding Hood
Is chasing him
Burma-Shave
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that I have posted Chris' guide on the home page of shavemyface.com

Now it will be seen by the world!

Vince
AceHarddrive

Post by AceHarddrive »

Hey Chris! Just got through perusing yer gude. Looks great! I noticed that in your listing of forums..., you left out MethodShaving.com (http://www.methodshaving.com/) and the new StraightRazorPlace (http://www.straight-razor-place.com/). Just thought I'd let ya know! Bytheway, you shave up real nice!

~Tim :wink:

The wolf
Is shaved
So neat and trim
Red Riding Hood
Is chasing him
Burma-Shave
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

The file on shavemyface.com has been updated.

Vince
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, A most excellent piece of work, reference my longer post on Wetshavers. Regards, Gordon
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Chris, good stuff. I downloaded a copy to keep, just in case I ever try straight shaving again. Currently I am having a game-go-round with a Feather straight, and some of the tips you provide are very helpful in that regard as well.

Thank you for you generosity. You could actually charge for something like that. How great that you post it for all of us to read and keep for free.
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

If I didn't spend so damn much on shaving products, I might otherwise have a little extra to throw your way. :wink:
kal

Post by kal »

Chris, many thanks for an excellent well illustrated guide. My only regret is that you did'nt prepare it twenty years earlier. Still I learnt many new helpful tips. I'm sure this will encourage many wetshavers to give Str8s a try.
I have one comment about honing that might put me under attack by seasoned Str8 users. Contrary to what seams to be the general consesus I prefer to hone as often as possible , appox every 8-10 shaves. I use a very fine German stone (finer than 8000)and apply only a few light strokes at the time.
I found this the best way to keep my razors consistently in top shape and find no need to use anything else other than a regular leather strop before the shave. After many years I still cannot detect any noticable wear or deterioration on any of my razors.
Regards
Kal
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

File and homepage updated successfully!

Vince
Joe Lerch

Thank You for Your Article

Post by Joe Lerch »

I have downloaded and read your article and I just wanted to thank you for it.

I've done a lot of research online on this topic, and I must say this is the most useful and comprehensive article I've found on the subject, and it's probably the best article I've found on wet shaving.

You deserve a lot of credit. With a little additional work (extending to wet shaving in general), you probably could have published it and made and profited personally from this subject which is suddenly gaining interest. Instead, you made this valuable contribution to this literature available to all of us free of charge.

Between your article and other extremely useful, illustrated information, like Joel's work on comparing brushes and demonstrating how to create lather, we have the makings in this forum of a wonderful teaching book on wet shaving.
Joe
Joe Lerch

Using Str8

Post by Joe Lerch »

I definitely intend to try it. I've done so before, but without guidance, I just butchered my face and eventually gave up.

Your article will be a big help and may finally enable me to succeed.

BTW. I don't know if you noticed my picture. That's in the morning before my shave. I have a real tough beard. After I shave, I look like you. :lol:
Joe
AceHarddrive

Re: Using Str8

Post by AceHarddrive »

Joe Lerch wrote:BTW. I don't know if you noticed my picture. That's in the morning before my shave. I have a real tough beard. After I shave, I look like you. :lol:
Gee, Joe! I guess with a good shave, you must look just like Claude Rains, huh?

Nice to meet ya!
~Tim :wink:

The wolf
Is shaved
So neat and trim
Red Riding Hood
Is chasing him
Burma-Shave
Joe Lerch

Learning to Use a Str8

Post by Joe Lerch »

Thanks.

The wolfman was Lon Chaney.
Joe
nteeman

Re: Learning to Use a Str8

Post by nteeman »

Joe Lerch wrote:Thanks.

The wolfman was Lon Chaney.
Correction--Lon Chaney Jr.

:D
OldSeaRock

Post by OldSeaRock »

Thank you for taking your time to share with others!