Puma 89 7/8

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
brothers

Puma 89 7/8

Post by brothers »

It'll be arriving in a couple of days. I'm looking forward to getting it. I have decided that getting a new razor, DE, SE, or straight, seems to invigorate my enthusiasm for shaving with that particular type of razor, and also gives me something worthwhile to post about. I have my expectations and will be curious to see how well this one matches up.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Puma 89 7/8

Post by Squire »

Don't recall having shaved with a Puma though I have a favorable impression of the vintage ones. Who makes them now Gary?
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I get the impression that like most other familiar brands of German straight razors, this one is also a thing of the past.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I understand Puma quit making their own years ago when the equipment wore out and wasn't worth the expense of replacing. Think Dovo made the last ones under contract. The word Solingen on the blade no longer indicates origin, rather it's being used as a trade name.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire, I appreciate that information. Maybe after I receive it I will become motivated to look deeper into the history of the brand.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

It arrived safe and sound from south Texas in its hard Puma case. Blade appears to have little or no use showing on it. I stropped it pretty well, it shaves arm hair. I'll test shave it tomorrow morning to see if its as keen as it needs to be. It's probably closer to 13/16 than 7/8. I like the feel and heft of it. It seems snug in the scales. Maybe if we get lucky, I can post a photo with tomorrow's SOTD.
Gary

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

brothers wrote:It arrived safe and sound from south Texas in its hard Puma case. Blade appears to have little or no use showing on it. I stropped it pretty well, it shaves arm hair. I'll test shave it tomorrow morning to see if its as keen as it needs to be. It's probably closer to 13/16 than 7/8. I like the feel and heft of it. It seems snug in the scales. Maybe if we get lucky, I can post a photo with tomorrow's SOTD.
Sounds like a winner, Gary! Enjoy!

Chris
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

I have owned this same model twice in the past 8 years...wonderful steel...enjoy!
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I didn't shave this morning. No rush, I'll save that pleasure for tomorrow, again with the Puma. I'm in no particular rush to the stones. This afternoon I spent a bit of time working on the strops, and the Puma seems to be able to easily wipe away arm hair. Looking forward to wiping away a 2-day growth of whiskers on Sunday.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The strop work definitely paid off for Puma shave #2. Good razor. Lucky to have it.

Gary

Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Nice find.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good catch Gary.
Regards,
Squire