Puma INOX razor

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
brothers

Puma INOX razor

Post by brothers »

Immediately after getting my first Puma 89 and posting about it here, I stumbled onto a second Puma 7/8, this time an INOX (stainless) razor from a Japanese seller. At an extremely fair price, I should add. The icing on the cake was the edge on this pristine razor. I stropped it well, and my reward was one of the unexpectedly best and closest, smoothest shaves in a long time. I anticipate posting a photo in the near future. {watch this space :) ]
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Oscar11

Re: Puma INOX razor

Post by Oscar11 »

Another very nice find. I enjoy using Inox steel to shave with. I'll be looking forward to seeing the pic.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

This is one of my most treasured straight razors. The band of black foam rubber had deteriorated and had to be removed. I replaced it with a strip of leather which turned out great except I either used the wrong glue (contact cement) or didn't use enough glue, or both. I enjoy projects of this nature, so I'm going to take another crack at it. I'll try to find time in the near future. If it turns out well I'll post some new photos. Wish me luck!
Gary

Sho'Nuff

Post by Sho'Nuff »

That's a dandy razor my man. Keeping the RAD in check while I save for a finishing stone, but Puma is on my "next 5 SR" purchase list.
Congrats =D>
brothers

Post by brothers »

Welcome to SMF! I'm looking forward to your participation.
Gary

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gary, that's a beautiful blade. Don't know how I missed it first time you posted, been rather busy the last year so maybe that's why. I wish you a lifetime of pleasurable shaves with it.

Any idea what year it was produced?

I've seen a lot of old Puma's for sale on the 'bay etc and Puma is one of the blades I never got a hold of but would like to. I am leery of modern productions or outright fakes so I shy away every time because of the shear volume of them.

What's your take and do you have any way of finding a genuine one from say the 1930's?

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

Chris, it's probably from the '60s. The neat thing about it is the fact that it is 7/8, even though the foam rubber on the shank was deteriorated it's apparently NOS if blade and scales condition is any indicator. This was the last straight razor I bought when I stopped a couple of years ago. I had just found a 7/8 Puma Special No. 68 (might be an 89 if I look at it from the south instead of the north :shock: ) at about the same time.
Gary

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gary, good stuff at any rate. Enjoy!

Chris