It's here, it's here!

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
kaptain_zero

It's here, it's here!

Post by kaptain_zero »

My recently ordered Ralf Aust 6/8" Stainless, decorated back (ugh, not hand engraved, not a worked back, just laser etched me thinks), African blackwood scales and a Spanish point, arrived Friday.

I am very pleased with the razor, even the spine etching is fine, but knowing what I now know, my next Ralf Aust will NOT have etchings, but I'd still consider one of the worked back designs.

The razor is well made, honed to perfection (it really is "shave ready", a truly novel idea) out of the box, and it looks fantastic. It is my second "stainless" blade and I'm looking forward to seeing how the edge holds up and how hard it is to re-hone when the time comes.

While I like larger razors, the 6/8 Aust has a fair amount of "heft" to it.... I am considering ordering a 5/8" with acrylic scales for daily use. In fact, I find myself thinking about a 7 day set of these razors! I mean, I REALLY REALLY REALLY need a 7 day set, don't I?!?!?! :mrgreen:

So... don't be surprised if you see some of my gear up for sale... With my pending retirement, cash is at a premium, I need to reduce my collection in order to increase my $$$ collection, to fund my addictions. But... it's all about *helping* the better half, who has no idea what this stuff is worth, right?

Regards

Kaptain "Broke, but scheming" Zero

Image is shamelessly taken from the Ralf Aust website.
Attachments
Ralf.jpg
Ralf.jpg (21.64 KiB) Viewed 9045 times
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: It's here, it's here!

Post by Squire »

Retirement is great, sold the house, furniture and all the stuff, put the money in grandkids college fund. Kept the razors though.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Really like that Ralf even though I'm not in the market for another straight razor, nope, not me, well, mebbe.
Regards,
Squire
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Very nice looking razor, congrats.
pundi64

Post by pundi64 »

=D> Very nice :shock:
youmancip

Post by youmancip »

kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

All is not as it seems to be....

First off, there was a slight frown to the blade...... only discovered when I went to hone the blade.

I've made my peace with it... a narrow hone is required to get it honed without the frown.

I find it too thin.... it rattles away when I shave and I prefer quiet and deadly.

There is a double washer on one side of the hinge pin. Easy to miss... but stands out like a sore thumb, once you know it's there.

As nice as this razor is... it's the thinness of the blade that irks me, but that's because I don't like the paper thin grinds so popular today.... Make mine a 1/2 hollow!

I'm really in a quandary here.... I like light razors, but I don't like bellied full hollows. It looks like I may have to visit http://www.koraat-knives.at/english/seite35.html and order a custom razor from them.

Recently I've been shaving with a Joe Chandler custom razor, ordered from my "at the time" specifications. It's a wonderful razor, but it's 1/4 hollow and thus a tad heavy to be me favourite today.

Perhaps a Koraat will fill the bill when I order and receive it.

Regards

Kaptain "The search continues" Zero
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

So you want a seven day set, eh? I shan't dissuade you from that praiseworthy aim, but I will point out that it is easier to keep one razor very well-honed than it is to keep seven. Inevitably, if you have seven razors and you stick with them for a while you start to look forward to Tuesdays or Thursdays or something, as you discover that one razor is better than the others. Then you say to yourself, 'Why don't I use that razor all the time?'

I have built several seven day sets. The first were Dovo faux-pearl 5/8 gold-washed something or others in the Dovo seven day leather case. Then came the TI 6/8 Eagles, back when TI steel was truly hard to hone but when it was right, it was fantastic. I made a case out of an ancient diagnostic set for them. Seven Zowadas came next, and then seven Livis, seven Harts and eventually seven Friodurs. Madness. This spring I must take down the wall of shame as I must get on and sell that office building. I shall have to sell a lot of razors and brushes!

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Indeed, a 7 day set might be more annoying than pleasing.

I've been searching for some photos of a "Gentleman's Necessary Kit" that I saw some years back. It had room for 2 razors I believe, hair brush, toothbrush, shaving brush, mirror, metal soap container and some other trinkets with the round containers being spun (probably pewter or perhaps silver), the other items were Ivory, all in a nice neat fitted case lined with silk most likely. It was a very handsome kit, and something I would love to have, but I'd most likely just stare at it.... the razors ending up in my "really" dull pile.....<sigh>

Off to see the local seafood shops tomorrow, in search of Mackerel, smoked or not.... I had forgotten there were such speciality shops in Winnipeg, everyone here seems to swoon over this lake caught pickerel and smoked goldeye which can be purchased seemingly anywhere.

Regards

Christian