Jemico Red Russian - new strop

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
brothers

Jemico Red Russian - new strop

Post by brothers »

My son asked me what birthday gift I was hoping to receive, and I told him I'd love to add a Jemico Red Russian strop to my small group, based on comments that have been made on this forum. (I was very helpful, giving him a link to one of the very few vendors who had one in stock.) Now, I have it and I have not yet had an opportunity to use it. It's the real deal. Still wrapped from the factory, Russian, made in Germany. I'm eager to give it a try.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Re: Jemico Red Russian - new strop

Post by EL Alamein »

Congratulations, Gary! Be sure to give the leather a good hand rubbing before taking the blade to it. Let us know how you like it.

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I've had many fancy strops, but I always come back to this one.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

happy birthday, gary!!!!!!!!!!!

clive

p.s. use your new strop in good health
de gustibus non est disputandum
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

drmoss_ca wrote:I've had many fancy strops, but I always come back to this one.

Chris
Indeed, it is the magic strop of its day.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

Today I unwrapped the brand new Jemico Red Russian, so I could use it to strop my old W&B for today's straight razor shave. The edge was superb as was the resulting (full 3-pass) shave. I am a lucky guy, and am looking forward to many more such results from this and other razors. In the past few years I've been using my strops laying flat on the counter, but today I reverted back to the hanging strop. No complaints!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gary, how's this one holding up? Mine is one of my favorites and I use it nearly every day, now in conjunction with my old Magic Strop from decades gone by.

Together, I find they make an edge last many times longer than just themselves. My current blade (my old standby Thiers Issard 6/8th Eagle) has lasted six months using this combo and it's still going strong.

Chris