Wade & Butcher back in business

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
brothers

Wade & Butcher back in business

Post by brothers »

https://www.wadeandbutcher.com/

They say they will start taking advance order sometime in 2017. They're posting and fielding questions on Facebook.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Wade & Butcher back in business

Post by fallingwickets »

:bull
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, why call BS? Did you follow the FB link and read the comments?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

My initial reaction was B.S. as well. My suspicion is that a bunch of investors wanted to get into the straight razor market, looked for a tweedy, upmarket name, and bought the rights to use "Wade & Butcher." Maybe they will use the old designs, or the old foundry (though this page indicates the capital of the parent company was only £50,000 in 2009...).

I don't doubt that you will be able to buy a new Wade & Butcher in the near future, but I'm not sure you'll be able to buy a new Wade & Butcher.
--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Of course I already knew some investors bought the rights to the corporate name and plan to sell new razors. This doesn't mean it's a lie or a fraud. What if Fiat for example buys the corporate assets including the name to Chrysler? Oh, that already happened. That's all it could be. I doubt the old men Wade and Butcher rose from their final resting places to start making razors again, or that they went and found the old brick building with the rusty hulks of the foundry equipment and hope to start back up where they left off 50 or so years ago. :D :D :D You guys crack me up! :) Nope, it's a couple of smart businessmen going to make and hopefully sell some new razors under the old name. This is not BS this is business in the 21st century. :D
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

so the bs for me is marketing an item that isnt even off the drawing table. just sayin'

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Believe it when I see it, and more importantly, when and if we start seeing some objective reviews from the intrepid first customers. That'll probably be at least a year from now, or longer . . .
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Buying the rights to an old name and already they're claiming a 200 year old history. We'll see . . .
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Following up after a year has gone by. Nothing so far. I think they are similar to the way a government works --- it's a whole lot more fun to sit around and talk about doing something than it is to actually do something.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

This is incredible --- just within the last week, these folks posted in one of the internet shaving forums that they're still working hard on the new enterprise! No reason for alarm, don't give up, there are lots of good things to come to those who remain patient! Incredible is the only word I can think of. :^o [-X :^o [-X :^o [-X
Gary

Brutus

Post by Brutus »

It’s obviously easier to buy and re-launch an old brand name than to produce the kind of razor that this brand was once famous for.
As the name clearly tries to cash in on the reputation of this brand, there appears to be a gulf between ambition and reality that still needs to be bridged.

Can’t say that I take such kind of machinations too seriously...

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
brothers

Post by brothers »

The reality is that no matter how much time one takes and what the brand is called, if the razor is crappy there's not much point. I personally prefer a lot less talk and a lot more action!
Gary