Back to the Hart razors

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Back to the Hart razors

Post by drmoss_ca » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:53 am

Lately I have been neglecting my straight razors, and using the brass General instead. It's an excellent razor, and gives splendid results with little effort.

The thing is that I know I can make that effort, and I have those skills and I do enjoy using them. So I pulled out the two Hart 7/8 razors I have and honed them according to the best practices I have documented in this forum. I'm happy to report that I still had to scrape my lower jaw off the floor when I felt how closely they could shave. Much closer than the General with a Feather Professional blade, even if requiring goodness knows how much practice to achieve it. OK, the shave is excellent. I could wish that the Hart razors that call themselves 7/8 actually measure that way with a ruler, but they don't - they are 7/8 in the way that Pi nearly became exactly three in Indiana in 1897, meaning not even close. I would think that an 8/8 razor with the same steel and the same half-hollow grind would be something worth having.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace

brothers

Re: Back to the Hart razors

Post by brothers » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:01 pm

Chris, in your hands I would expect nothing less than a perfect edge and a jaw-dropping close shave. Have a great day!
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:07 pm

drmoss_ca wrote:Lately I have been neglecting my straight razors, and using the brass General instead. It's an excellent razor, and gives splendid results with little effort.

The thing is that I know I can make that effort, and I have those skills and I do enjoy using them. So I pulled out the two Hart 7/8 razors I have and honed them according to the best practices I have documented in this forum. I'm happy to report that I still had to scrape my lower jaw off the floor when I felt how closely they could shave. Much closer than the General with a Feather Professional blade, even if requiring goodness knows how much practice to achieve it. OK, the shave is excellent. I could wish that the Hart razors that call themselves 7/8 actually measure that way with a ruler, but they don't - they are 7/8 in the way that Pi nearly became exactly three in Indiana in 1897, meaning not even close. I would think that an 8/8 razor with the same steel and the same half-hollow grind would be something worth having.

C.
It seems to me that one would potentially have complete control with an open razor. I have never felt like I quite had that with a safety razor.

(And clearly that result would depend on advanced skill in the handling and maintenance of such a razor.)

- Murray
Give me Soap or give me death!

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:29 am

Dr. Moss, A very heartwarming story. I can definitely relate to the joy of picking up the straight again after laying it down a bit. There is nothing like the satisfaction they give.

Chris

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:16 am

I finally managed to raise Tim, and a giant ¼ hollow in 01 steel will be made. I've suggested 8/8 or 17/16, and I'm hoping he will treat it to a hardness of 63.

There's a lot to be said for not going for harder steels, principally ease of honing, which might have to be done a little more often than with a harder steel, but it's trivially easy to get tool steel to an exquisite edge, and combined with a thicker grind a close, comfortable, silent shave is routinely attained.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace