"Premier" razor?

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Bill_K

"Premier" razor?

Post by Bill_K » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:56 am

Gents,

Do any of you have experiences with a "Premier" razor? I found this in an antique store in town; the scales are as ugly as sin but I think the blade is worth re-scaling.

Thanks in advance.
Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention that it says "Sheffield" on the other side of the shank. I was negligent in not taking a picture of that side. #-o
IMG_1669.jpg
IMG_1669.jpg (959.07 KiB) Viewed 353 times
Bill

EL Alamein

Re: "Premier" razor?

Post by EL Alamein » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:39 pm

Looks like scale rot if the tarnish on the blade follows the contour of the scales when it's closed.

I'd get those scales off asap. Don't wait until you have replacement scales. If you're going to replace them anyway then it can't hurt.

Other than that it doesn't look so bad. Looks like a nice blade in fact. Once you have it descaled I'd suggest cleaning it up and honing it once the new scales are installed.

Chris

Bill_K

Post by Bill_K » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:23 am

Thanks Chris, that's a good point about the tarnish following the scale contour. The razor is still in the antique shop but that'll change in the next day or so. :wink:

As an aside: the JR Torrey razor that I was so happy to buy (my previous topic) evidently has such a bow in the blade that the honing guy said it's not worth trying to salvage. In chatting with him, he said that it's not something that I could have readily caught in the store; he made the discovery as he started honing.

I'm thinking of taking the Torrey's scales and using them on the Premier.
Bill

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:18 pm

Bill, sounds like good plan, much luck to you.

Chris