Where to buy straight razor pins?

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Bill_K

Where to buy straight razor pins?

Post by Bill_K »

Gents,

I'd like to try re-scaling a straight razor but I'm having a bit of trouble locating a vendor for pins. Any suggestions? (Canadian vendor preferred)

Thanks!
Bill
EL Alamein

Re: Where to buy straight razor pins?

Post by EL Alamein »

Bill that's a tough one. It used to be that you could buy them easy from Classic but since it's been taken over they don't sell anything like that.

Hope you find a good vendor and share it here.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

This is an easy one. ebay; Classic shaving; Maggard Razors; Naked Armor straight razors. Not from my memory, just a couple of seconds logging into google.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Good catch, Gary.

Chris
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

Thanks Gary! I hadn't thought of Maggard's, and to make the shipping costs worthwhile I might have to buy some soap while I'm at it. :wink:
Bill
naturalpuerh

Post by naturalpuerh »

Just ask it again if you dont get right answer!
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

Thanks, but I've located an unusual source: Princess Auto. I bought some bronze brazing rods for $15 and soaked one in water to loosen the flux - et viola, I have more material than I can hope to use in a lifetime. I went to the local hobby store to get some teeny, tiny washers.
Bill
brothers

Post by brothers »

Awesome! :D Very creative, and one welding rod probably contains enough material for a hundred pins, if not more, as you say. This brings up another question - what tool do you use to cut the pins, and how do you smooth off the ends of the pins before you put the washers in place and peen them?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

brothers wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:43 pm <snip>
This brings up another question - what tool do you use to cut the pins, and how do you smooth off the ends of the pins before you put the washers in place and peen them?
Hey Gary,

I just used the tools I had kicking around the garage: a pair of side cutters, a fine 1/4" triangular file, a one-foot chunk of 12" I-beam (aka the anchor for my fishing boat) to serve as an anvil, and a small ball peen hammer.

This video, which was my inspiration and guide, provides a better explanation than I can write: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3kno59xC4U

I drilled a shallow 3/32" hole in my anchor ... er, I mean my anvil ... so that I could measure, cut, and peen the first end of the pin.

My biggest mistake was to cut the rod a teeny bit too long; the extra peening resulted in a tight hinge pin. I'll have to exercise a wee bit more caution opening and closing the razor, but on the other hand it's never gonna fall open on its own. I used some touch-up paint for the Jeep to dab onto the pins when I was done; the colour matches really well.

BTW I had considered using an aluminum brazing rod because it's easier to work with than bronze, but I decided that it wouldn't be suitable because aluminum tends to cold flow under pressure.
Bill
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks Bill. Very good information and I learned a lot from the video. He makes it look easy. I've always been a bit intimidated by this part of straight razors. Hopefully not so much now that I've seen this video and read how well your project turned out for you.
Gary

Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

One more thing:

When you're ready to file down the old pin heads to remove them, I recommend putting a little electrical tape on the scales next to them. That way, you won't scratch the scales in a moment of inattention, as I did.
Bill
brothers

Post by brothers »

Oops! Thanks!
Gary

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Related to this topic, Bill, do you prefer washers on the inside of the scales? If so did you get them?

I am finding that I like my razor handles without washers and just seeing if anyone else has the same preference.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

Chris, my preference is to not have any washers between the razor blade and the scales. I think the surface area would be too limited, which would result in loosening of the blade within the scales in a much shorter period of time. I believe the larger surface that is pressed against the blade on both sides would be a more efficient way of keeping the scales tight against the blade. Just my personal opinion.
Gary

Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

I did not put washers between the blade and the scales (only on the outside, under the peened ends of the pin).
Bill
brothers

Post by brothers »

Chris and Bill, I posted without noticing it was a question for Bill. Please excuse my error. :oops:
Gary

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gary, no worries, great to get another opinion. I am right there with you and for the same reasons.

Bill, good to hear. I expect and hope that will work well for you.

My Boker has washers and the scales were not tight at all. Initially this didn't bother me but over time it did to my surprise.

I took a ball-peen hammer to the one side of the pin and tightened it up but it's still not as tight as my TI. I don't want to do anymore tightening for fear of damaging the gorgeous tortoise scales so I'll be happy with what I got.

All the vintage razors I've handled never had washers between the blade and scales now I'm seeing them on newer stuff. They just don't seem functionally relevant.

Chris
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

Agreed, I just don't see how washers on the inside would be of benefit. Keep in mind that my experience with straight razors is limited to two vintage models (but I plan to look for other old-timers in need of restoration that I can include in my rotation).
Bill
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I’m late to this thread, but pins are super easy to make and I never bought any back when I was making my own razor scales. I used brass rod stock and washers (on the outside, not between the scales and blade although I did try that). Brass is so soft it easily peens down, and you only have to lightly smooth out the cut end with a file for a nice, smooth finished result. Making your own pins is a very satisfying part of the whole job.
Jim