Home Page | Gallery | PM Inbox | Forum Index  

An alternative to shaving every day

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.

An alternative to shaving every day

Postby brothers » Wed May 17, 2017 6:26 am

Since I don't have to dress up and report to my job any more, I enjoy my leisure in the morning very much. All my life I have looked forward to my morning shave, and even when I didn't shave for one reason or other, I usually find time to grab a luxurious shave later in the day, just because. Over the past several months, it has been much easier to just skip shaving all together. Maybe tomorrow! I still love to shave, don't get me wrong, but now that I've found my best razor/blade/brush/soap/cream combo (thanks to SMF, etc.) there's just as much satisfaction shaving off a two/three day beard as it is to do it every day. Literally nobody other than me even knows or cares if I shave or not.
Gary
brothers

Re: An alternative to shaving every day

Postby Rufus » Wed May 17, 2017 3:38 pm

Although I've been retired for several years I still shave every day. I enjoy shaving and like the way I feel afterwards: clean and invigorated. Occasionally I have to miss a day of shaving, but I don't like it because I feel slightly grubby and in some cases, slothful. Perhaps it's a case of old habits die hard, but it's more like wearing polished shoes, a laundered shirt and clean underwear, I don't feel good without them.
Bryan
Rufus

Postby CMur12 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:18 pm

I haven't shaved every day for many years, as my skin never tolerated it. Since I've worn a beard since 1972, my shaven neck in the shadow of the beard doesn't readily show a little growth. That being said, since I retired three years ago I have continued to shave on the same schedule as before.

- Murray
Give me Soap or give me death!
CMur12

Postby EL Alamein » Wed May 17, 2017 6:16 pm

Gary, good on you. It's a sign of status that you've reached this point. Enjoy it.

I hope to get there in the next thirty years.

Chris
EL Alamein

Postby ShadowsDad » Wed May 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Gary, I pretty much could have penned your words.

When I "go out" even if it's just grocery shopping with the wife I'm clean shaven, other than that not so much. Since a shave for me lasts about 24 hours or more before shadow is seen many times I can shave once and get a 2fer.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite http://www.krampertsfinest.com/
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
ShadowsDad

Postby Tinman » Fri May 19, 2017 9:07 am

Back in the 70s I tried growing a beard (had recently got out of the Army and returned to college). After about 4 weeks it still felt uncomfortable and I have been a daily shaver ever since. For some reason I do not like the feel of stubble on my face. I even pack a disposable razor and tiny can of shaving cream in my carry-on for international flights so I can be clean shaven when I leave the airport. I do have some sense of the Gary's point as I wait about 30 mins in the AM (when I'm not traveling, I work from home) so that my morning beard is just that little bit more exposed for a good shave.
Tinman

Return to General