Home Page | Gallery | PM Inbox | Forum Index  
 

Razor Bump Help

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.

Razor Bump Help

Postby Modern Ancient » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:10 pm

Okay, so, I have been dealing with this, for the past few months. To make a long story short, I moved twice, within three months. During the stay at the "in between" apartment, I developed a horrible case, of razor bumps, between my bottom lip, and, chin. Right where the goatee would be, in the most obvious spot possible.

I have tried everything, of which I could think. I tried a white-head/black-head remover. This left me bloody, and, still with razor bumps. I tried exfoliation. This yielded almost no results, except the occasional red marks, from pushing, too hard. I have tried Bump Patrol moisturizer. This is a nice aftershave balm, and, it may prevent new ones, but, it has done nothing, for the ones, there, already, on my face. I have tried a styptic pencil. I have tried an alum block. I have tried switching face soaps, in the shower, and, at the sink. All this, to no avail.

Seriously, I am at my wits' end. I have had it. Should I go to one, of those salons, and, get a facial treatment? What should I do?

If it matters, my ethnicity is, primarily, Norman English (different ethno-types might have different skin types, I think).

Seriously, please help.
Modern Ancient
 

Re: Razor Bump Help

Postby ShadowsDad » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:36 am

You might try a steroidal ointment to trick the skin into thinking everything is OK. They are available over the counter.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite http://www.krampertsfinest.com/
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
User avatar
ShadowsDad
 
Posts: 2899
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Central Maine

Re: Razor Bump Help

Postby Modern Ancient » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:38 pm

ShadowsDad wrote:You might try a steroidal ointment to trick the skin into thinking everything is OK. They are available over the counter.



Thank you, sir. I shall check, with the chemists, tomorrow morning.
Modern Ancient
 

Re: Razor Bump Help

Postby Modern Ancient » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:47 am

Modern Ancient wrote:
ShadowsDad wrote:You might try a steroidal ointment to trick the skin into thinking everything is OK. They are available over the counter.



Thank you, sir. I shall check, with the chemists, tomorrow morning.



They actually to never do this. I am going to ask, another chemist, today, to see if his answers match the local immigrant. (I was about to say 'local bloke,' but, that hardly seems fitting)
Modern Ancient
 

Re: Razor Bump Help

Postby CMur12 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:33 pm

Modern Ancient, you might do a search of razor bumps in this forum, as there have been many, many discussions of it in the past.

Assuming we are talking about razor bumps and not ingrowns, razor bumps can be caused by too aggressive a razor abrading the skin. It can also be caused by an aggressive razor not being held at the right angle for a clear cut, resulting in scraping of the skin. You have reported that you are using a Mehaz razor, but I know if this razor could be the problem. Have you tried a gentler razor to see if it makes a difference?

If your lather doesn't provide consistent cushion and glide, the lack of protection could also result in abrasions and razor bumps.
During your stay at the "in between apartment," did you by any chance have hard water that could have compromised your lather? Some soaps are more sensitive to hard water than others.

Hope you are able to get this problem solved.

- Murray
Give me Soap or give me death!
CMur12
 
Posts: 6577
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:41 pm
Location: Moses Lake, Washington

Re: Razor Bump Help

Postby Modern Ancient » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:14 pm

CMur12 wrote:Modern Ancient, you might do a search of razor bumps in this forum, as there have been many, many discussions of it in the past.

Assuming we are talking about razor bumps and not ingrowns, razor bumps can be caused by too aggressive a razor abrading the skin. It can also be caused by an aggressive razor not being held at the right angle for a clear cut, resulting in scraping of the skin. You have reported that you are using a Mehaz razor, but I know if this razor could be the problem. Have you tried a gentler razor to see if it makes a difference?

If your lather doesn't provide consistent cushion and glide, the lack of protection could also result in abrasions and razor bumps.
During your stay at the "in between apartment," did you by any chance have hard water that could have compromised your lather? Some soaps are more sensitive to hard water than others.

Hope you are able to get this problem solved.

- Murray



Hi, Murray!

Thank you, for the words. The Mehaz razor is the third, or, fourth razor, I have used, since noticing this problem. Other razors used included: Merkur 38C (heavy, but, smooth), Timor 1322 (super smooth, but, super light), Master Barber Classic (medium-weight, and, aggressive) and, the Feather TTO razor (light weight, but, with a smoother blade, it is only medium, to medium-high aggressive. Good for if I have skipped, a few days.)

And, unfortunately, I do mean ingrown hairs. I can see the hairs sticking out, of some of them, attempting to break free. We are talking about good, old-fashioned dead skin, on top of fresh hair, gnarly, stubborn razor bumps. If it were simply irritation, I live in a "shopping mecca" metropolitan zone. I can get any razor, or, skin product, the day I want them, or, something close, if not exact. Although, that, too, is starting to vanish. But, I digress. I need to remove dead skin, from my face, so that the hairs can grow evenly.
Modern Ancient
 

Re: Razor Bump Help

Postby Modern Ancient » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:15 pm

Modern Ancient wrote:
Modern Ancient wrote:
ShadowsDad wrote:You might try a steroidal ointment to trick the skin into thinking everything is OK. They are available over the counter.



Thank you, sir. I shall check, with the chemists, tomorrow morning.



They actually to never do this. I am going to ask, another chemist, today, to see if his answers match the local immigrant. (I was about to say 'local bloke,' but, that hardly seems fitting)



I am wearing some Cortizone -10, right now, to see if that helps.
Modern Ancient
 

Re: Razor Bump Help

Postby CMur12 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:52 pm

Ingrowns are usually caused by shaving too close, causing the whisker to get hooked under the skin. This seems to be the trap of multi-blade cartridge razors, in particular. Bump Fighter razors wrap the blade with wire, to keep it from cutting so close.

It sounds like you might have a skin condition that is contributing to this, alone or in combination with a razor. I'm not familiar with most of the razors that you listed, but if you tried a mild razor and it made no difference, then the problem might be a skin condition.

I have so rarely experienced razor bumps or ingrowns that I am going by what I have read here in the past, rather than from personal experience.

It would be nice to be able to determine what is causing the problem, in preference to treating it afterwards.

- Murray
Give me Soap or give me death!
CMur12
 
Posts: 6577
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:41 pm
Location: Moses Lake, Washington

Re: Razor Bump Help

Postby ShadowsDad » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:10 pm

Sorry, cortizone cream won't help ingrown hairs. If I had known they were ingrowns I never would have suggested a steroid.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite http://www.krampertsfinest.com/
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
User avatar
ShadowsDad
 
Posts: 2899
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Central Maine

Re: Razor Bump Help

Postby Modern Ancient » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:15 pm

ShadowsDad wrote:Sorry, cortizone cream won't help ingrown hairs. If I had known they were ingrowns I never would have suggested a steroid.



Oh, okay.

thanks, anyway.
Modern Ancient
 

Re: Razor Bump Help

Postby Modern Ancient » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:16 pm

Okay, so, with shaving, twice daily, and, exfoliating, twice weekly, I am seeing some improvement, but, it is still an issue.
Modern Ancient
 

Re: Razor Bump Help

Postby CMur12 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:55 am

Is shaving twice daily making it better?

For many, that would make it worse.

(I can't even shave once a day, as my skin won't tolerate it.)

- Murray
Give me Soap or give me death!
CMur12
 
Posts: 6577
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:41 pm
Location: Moses Lake, Washington

Re: Razor Bump Help

Postby Modern Ancient » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:52 pm

CMur12 wrote:Is shaving twice daily making it better?

For many, that would make it worse.

(I can't even shave once a day, as my skin won't tolerate it.)

- Murray

It seems to be helping, which is why I said it.

ETA: Okay, so, I am a bit miffed, for other reasons. Here is a fuller explanation: a full shave would be four passes, one in each direction. Instead, I take two half-shaves. This gives the skin time to adjust. It has helped, a lot, in terms of redness, irritation, etc. I use hard soap, in the morning, and, soft cream, in the evening. On Saturdays, and, Holidays, I use canned foam.
Modern Ancient
 

Re: Razor Bump Help

Postby CMur12 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:07 pm

That makes sense.

Does less redness and irritation mean fewer razor bumps and ingrowns?

If so, that would mean some welcome progress.

- Murray
Give me Soap or give me death!
CMur12
 
Posts: 6577
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:41 pm
Location: Moses Lake, Washington

Re: Razor Bump Help

Postby Modern Ancient » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:33 pm

CMur12 wrote:That makes sense.

Does less redness and irritation mean fewer razor bumps and ingrowns?

If so, that would mean some welcome progress.

- Murray


Well, less redness, and, irritation are welcome, in their own right. I would think it would mean fewer ingrown hairs/razor bumps. Though I, am starting to see some progress.
Modern Ancient
 

Re: Razor Bump Help

Postby ShadowsDad » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:35 pm

I would ditch the canned foam. It's just not as protective as what can be made with a brush and shave soap. Which leads me to a question, how good is your lather? It should resist the razor and blade contacting the skin. A sort of protective layer. It's OK to practice making lather in the hand and just put it down the drain and do it again when learning.

Great lather should be dense with bubbles so fine they're almost iridescent. When slathered on the arm (or face) the lather shouldn't dry out for at least a few minutes; longer is better. I like to really load my brush with soap, then go for a wet lather. I could make lots more lather with the amount of soap that I use, but I don't I prefer a protective, dense, almost yogurt like consistency. (Not Greek yogurt, the other stuff)
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite http://www.krampertsfinest.com/
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
User avatar
ShadowsDad
 
Posts: 2899
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Central Maine

Re: Razor Bump Help

Postby brothers » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:01 am

When it seems I have a razor bump I wash my face with a washcloth soaked with rubbing alcohol instead of water. Dries up any excess oil and removes debris. This has worked for me for many decades and never any problem afterward. Works for me.
Gary
brothers
 
Posts: 17392
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Oklahoma City USA

Re: Razor Bump Help

Postby drmoss_ca » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:00 pm

Ingrown hairs are always due to shaving too close. The solution is to prep the beard properly (ie soften it with lots of hot water, soap, detergent, whatever and rinse completely), use really good thick lather from real soap or soap-based cream, a mild razor and very little pressure during the shave. Your goal, after all, isn't actually to feel like a baby's bottom, it's to look like one. The wise shaver often foregoes ultimate closeness for a face that looks respectable and smooth, rather than one that is smooth but red, bumpy or covered in pilonidal foxholes. I had to learn that too, and I'm glad I did.

C.
PS Immigrant chemists are often spectacularly good. I've spent 35 years writing, sending and calling in prescriptions to many pharmacists/chemists and all of them were splendid, no matter where they came from.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
User avatar
drmoss_ca
Admin
 
Posts: 9025
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:39 pm

Re: Razor Bump Help

Postby CMur12 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:55 pm

Modern Ancient, I wonder if you skin just doesn't tolerate two shaves daily. (I see now that I already referenced this above.)

Unless you have pretty tough skin, that's a lot of scraping. Considering how often you are shaving, even a reduction of passes could result in reduced irritation. In my own case, for comparison, I have very sensitive skin which doesn't tolerate even a daily shave. When I skip a day, my skin recovers and the shave goes more smoothly. When I skip two days, my skin holds up even better and the shave is improved as well. Beyond two days, there is no advantage for me. Every time I drag a blade over my skin, it produces minor irritation that is felt even though it be not actually visible.

- Murray
Give me Soap or give me death!
CMur12
 
Posts: 6577
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:41 pm
Location: Moses Lake, Washington

Re: Razor Bump Help

Postby Modern Ancient » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:55 pm

CMur12 wrote:Modern Ancient, I wonder if you skin just doesn't tolerate two shaves daily. (I see now that I already referenced this above.)

Unless you have pretty tough skin, that's a lot of scraping. Considering how often you are shaving, even a reduction of passes could result in reduced irritation. In my own case, for comparison, I have very sensitive skin which doesn't tolerate even a daily shave. When I skip a day, my skin recovers and the shave goes more smoothly. When I skip two days, my skin holds up even better and the shave is improved as well. Beyond two days, there is no advantage for me. Every time I drag a blade over my skin, it produces minor irritation that is felt even though it be not actually visible.

- Murray

I thought I mentioned this, but, the ingrown hairs started MONTHS before I switched to shaving, twice a day, and, the only improvement I have seen, has been since I started shaving twice-a-day.

I think it had to do with my choice of razor, more so than number of shaves. When I used the Merkur 38C, I had no problems. When I switched to the more aggressive Master Barber Classic, I started having ingrown hairs. I prefer a butterfly/TTO razor. I went through the Master Barber, a Timor, and, Mehaz. The Mehaz has quite a bit, of heft. I shall use it, again, once I grow a beard (to keep it looking neat) but, for now, I use the Merkur 38C. There has already been marked improvement.

Also, I saw a product, from Kiehl's, I want to try.
Modern Ancient
 

Next

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests