Home Page | Gallery | PM Inbox | Forum Index  

Aluminum is Evil Poison

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.

Aluminum is Evil Poison

Postby Modern Ancient » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:00 pm

So...

I had been looking for a new deodorant, for the past few months -- since, about, July. Well, I, finally, broke down, and, got myself some "Stronger Swagger," by Old Spice. I had used this same product, in the summer, of 2016, with no adverse effects.

However, this time, I think I made myself quite sick. I got it on Friday, and, on Saturday Night, I had a bit trouble moving. I thought my legs were sore, from walking so much, that week. Well, last night, I could barely move. The pain was unbearable. It continued this morning, right on through the afternoon.

I was lucky. I remembered something similar happening, about 7 years ago. I had, simply, forgotten. Well, this was some of the worst pain, in which I had ever been.

Aluminum should be banned, from all cosmetic products. I have, since this afternoon, replaced my deodorant, body lotion, and, on Friday, I ordered some La Toja Sensitive Aftershave Balm, which is free of aluminum.

I count myself lucky. People have died, from this. It is called "aluminum neurotoxicity."

Just, be careful, if you use aluminum. It can strike, without warning.
Modern Ancient

Re: Aluminum is Evil Poison

Postby drmoss_ca » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:30 pm

Aluminum is the third commonest element in the earth's crust (O,Si,Al), and the second commonest element that is a solid.

Frankly, you ought to pay a lot more attention to reliability of anecdotes and n=1 trials before you make such a fool of yourself by posting such nonsense. You have posted several nonsensical things in the past, promulgating the death penalty for gypsies, and the concept that 'intelligence' rubs off onto artefacts like razors and brushes. You worry me, and I can't quite see why you ought to continue to infest this forum. My advice is that you should join Badger & Blade and tell Joel that I sent you.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Postby EL Alamein » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:22 pm

After reading Dr. Moss's advice there I was laughing so hard the wine I was drinking came out my nose.

Chris
EL Alamein

Postby Rufus » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:29 pm

Hear, hear, Chris.
Bryan
Rufus

Postby drmoss_ca » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:14 pm

Good riddance! Several times each day I look at requests of new users wanting to join the forum, and that involves all sorts of tools to figure out where their IP is really situated. Sadly, we won't be getting any new members from the far east or former CCCP satellites, as they have proven to be the homes of spammers rather than shavers.

I'm completely open to approving accounts from real shavers, even ones like the OP's. I can't tell in advance if the owner belongs in Broadmoor, but I have to say that having visited Broadmoor professionally, there are many individuals there who would be welcome to post here, and who would do so quite sensibly.

No one, nobody at all, is 'allergic' to a single atom. It is not possible as allergies are mediated by antibodies, and antibodies are proteins, which are huge compared to a metal atom such as aluminium. The Fab region of an antibody cannot bind to a small molecule, never mind an atom. Certainly, one might suffer a reaction to something like the anti-perspirant chemical aluminium hexachloride, but that would involve itchy armpits. Neurotoxicity? That's what nitwits cause me to experience! Eff-off to B&B. Joel will love you if there is a profit in it.

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Postby brothers » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:00 pm

:D =D>
Gary
brothers

Postby ShadowsDad » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:33 pm

:lol:

I just tried to ignore him after the "manna" thing with objects, and that it only went one way, to the evil, never to the good.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite http://www.krampertsfinest.com/
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
ShadowsDad

Postby stanmog » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:33 am

Well, one certainly can be allergic to "a single atom":

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20351529
stanmog

Postby Nitrox » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:49 pm

All those commas were hard to follow............. :wink: :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Nitrox
AC/DC

Postby drmoss_ca » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:37 am

stanmog wrote:Well, one certainly can be allergic to "a single atom":

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20351529

Sorry, the nickel must first form a compound such that there is a molecule large enough to be recognised by the 'jaws' of an antibody.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Postby stanmog » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:20 am

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_allergy

The pathophysiology is divided into induction elicitation phases. Induction is the critical phase (immunological event) when skin contact to nickel results in antigen presentation to the T cells, and T cell duplication (cloning) occurs. The metal cation Ni++ is a low molecular weight hapten that easily penetrates the stratum corneum (top layer of skin). Nickel then binds to skin protein carriers creating an antigenic epitope.[2] The determining factor in sensitization is exposure of significant amounts of “free nickel”.[3] This is important because different metal alloys release different amounts of free nickel. The antigenic epitope is collected by dermal dendritic cells and Langerhans cells, the antigen-presenting cells (APC) of the skin, and undergo maturation and migration to regional lymph nodes. The complex is predominantly expressed on major histocompatibility complex (MHC) II, which activates and clonally expands naive CD4+ T cells.[4] Upon re-exposure these now primed T cells will be activated and massively recruited to the skin, resulting in the elicitation phase and the clinical presentation of Ni-ACD.

The point being, elemental nickel initiates a cascade of responses manifesting as an allergy.
stanmog

Postby Rufus » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:54 am

Hold on for a moment while I get some popcorn. Now I understand why I just scraped through my O Level chemistry exam. :mrgreen:
Bryan
Rufus

Postby brothers » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:31 pm

I don't understand any of the discussion. :D
Gary
brothers

Postby drmoss_ca » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:33 pm

stanmog wrote:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_allergy

The pathophysiology is divided into induction elicitation phases. Induction is the critical phase (immunological event) when skin contact to nickel results in antigen presentation to the T cells, and T cell duplication (cloning) occurs. The metal cation Ni++ is a low molecular weight hapten that easily penetrates the stratum corneum (top layer of skin). Nickel then binds to skin protein carriers creating an antigenic epitope.[2] The determining factor in sensitization is exposure of significant amounts of “free nickel”.[3] This is important because different metal alloys release different amounts of free nickel. The antigenic epitope is collected by dermal dendritic cells and Langerhans cells, the antigen-presenting cells (APC) of the skin, and undergo maturation and migration to regional lymph nodes. The complex is predominantly expressed on major histocompatibility complex (MHC) II, which activates and clonally expands naive CD4+ T cells.[4] Upon re-exposure these now primed T cells will be activated and massively recruited to the skin, resulting in the elicitation phase and the clinical presentation of Ni-ACD.

The point being, elemental nickel initiates a cascade of responses manifesting as an allergy.

Has to be presented by a protein to which it has joined. At this point it is semantics as to whether one is allergic to the nickel or to the protein whose shape has been altered by the nickel.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Postby brothers » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:36 pm

In my opinion, neither aluminum nor nickel have ever caused me any health issues to the best of my knowledge. You may feel free to use me as a reference should the occasion arise. 8)
Gary
brothers

Return to General