Any thoughts on the use of shaving oils with a DE razor

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Big Hubb

Any thoughts on the use of shaving oils with a DE razor

Post by Big Hubb »

I have been wet shaving for the past 2 1/2 years. The first six to nine months I shaved with a quality shaving creams and a good brush. Then I saw a video of a man using shaving oil to shave with rather than shaving cream. I tried shaving oil and found that I really liked, but also that is was rather expensive. I then read the different type of oils that goes into shaving oils and decided to make my own. I purchased $50.00 dollars worth various oils and started making my own. I can make a 4oz bottle of oil for pennies and it will last me 4 to 6 months, depending on how often I shave. Does anyone else shave strictly with shaving oils?
brothers

Re: Any thoughts on the use of shaving oils with a DE razor

Post by brothers »

Big Hubb, I've had similar results from brushless shaving creams, but I haven't experimented with the oil. I'm impressed but not surprised to learn how much better a homemade product can perform.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I echo Gary, but the one commercial oil that I tried didn't do much for me. I much preferred the lubricity and cushioning of soap. If it works for you then great.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Whatever works for you makes the most sense. But not for me.
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm generally not impressed with oils used alone for shaving. I admit, that if you soften your beard with a detergent or soap and lots of hot water, you can then shave with some oil. It might even make a minimal volume solution for those travelling very light and staying in hotels where a bottle of shampoo will be provided and will take care of the first part. But what the hell, man, are you shaving for fun or what? Way more fun to be had even with a tiny stick of Palmolive and no brush than that! That's what 45 years of wet shaving have taught me!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

i have tried it i wouldnt suggest it for a full shave but for a clean up shaves sure but like drmoss_ca said you need to do alot of prep to make it work though.
Jordan