Aiden Gill

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Furrball2

Post by Furrball2 »

Nobody every went to a barber-surgeon -- or chirurgeon -- for medical advice. Medicine was practiced by gentlemen. Barber surgeons were probably more useful and not gentlemen. Chirurgiae is the latin for "hand work." The distinction between physician as gentleman practicing medicine and tradesman practicing surgery was challenged by John Hunter, an 18th Century Irish surgeon and anatomist. In 1745 the surgeons split from the barbers -- in England -- and they received a Royal Charter in 1800. These distinctions are meaningless today.

It used to be shave and a hair cut and would you like to schedule your bladder stone removal? In the Hippocratic Oath, physicians swore to not "cut for the stone." Since we aren't trained to do this.

It was once said that physicians are gentlemen not smart enough for law and not ethical enough for the clergy.

Back on topic, one of the barbers at my usual place already offers straight shaves with a disposable straight of some kind; and he has plans to purchase a Feather in the near future.

dave
Pen: Namiki
Razor: Merkur (Vision 2000) now 38C
Blades: Feather
Brush: Muhle-Pimsel silvertip
SureFire Executive Defender
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

On the subject of barbers, a nice story with a guest appearance by a straight.

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/ny ... index.html

if you open the link, cllick 'browse collection' and then find bus depot barber.......sorry, becks has captured the techno brain :lol:

Enjoy

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

A distinction (between physicians and surgeons) memorialised with some reverse snobbery by every surgeon trained in the English system, who regains the title 'Mister' on passing his fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

bernards66 wrote:Gary, Well, going to the barber for a shave faded out gradually. It was still not that uncommon when I was a kid in the 1950s. Granted, my father didn't, but I'd sit around the shop waiting for my turn and see men come in for a shave pretty much every time I was there. In US barber's schools shaving and stropping and honing straight razors was still a major part of the coarse of study at that time, and continued to be for awhile even after that. But by the 1980s, of course, it was all over. However, in Britain and Europe, as you can see from Bill's post, the tradition and skills continued on until very recently, and are still in existance in some places. Talk with Chris Fisher about his experiances getting barber's shaves in Italy, for example. The senior barber at the original AOS shop in NYC had years of experiance in shaving several men daily, because he worked most of his career in Russia. Even Mr. Gill knows a thing or two ( even if, in certain regards, he pretends he doesn't ), because he's older and came up in the barbering tradition in Britain. So, it depends, WHICH barbers you're talking about....and to.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon, your're spot on. The time and place are important. It is a good thing to have known and experienced, but quickly becoming another of those marvelous things of the past. The story from Bill about Monty is extraordinary, and close to legendary. I'll bet anyone a Porterhouse from Cattlemen's that a professional shaving barber of a calibre such as Monty would never advocate shaving with a cartridge, or perish the thought, using such a contraption on a client. I'd stand in line with all the rest of you for a full-treatment shave from this man or his peers from decades past. My copy of the yellow pages came a few days ago, and there are hundreds, maybe a thousand or more barber shops listed, and it is a virtual certainty that there are no shaves being distributed in these parts.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Yes, sadly it's true. Regretably, I never made it to London....or Milan, or Vienna, but I've been shaved dozens of times by barbers in the US, and only one was remotely in the league with gents like Monty Park. He was an Italian barber in a small unpretentious, but nice shop in NYC. The only shaves I've ever had that were closer than I can do myself, and with zero irritation. That level of skill was not particularly uncommon here 50 years ago, but today it is an extreme rarity on this side of the pond. I was so miffed because that old school barber I was using until recently ( see my thread on Old Spice shave soap ) offered to give me a shave with a T-I straight I had at that point, and I was confident he could do the deal properly. I was going to bring in my own soap and brush as well. But the owner of the shop put the kabbosh on his offer. A real disappointment.
Regards,
Gordon
murchmb

Re: Aiden Gill

Post by murchmb »

Pat_17 wrote:I was watching a video with Aiden Gill, a barber in New Orleans, and in his opinion the 3 and 5 bladed razors are better then the single edge razors many of us use.

That got me thinking of trying a little experiment. For the past two weeks I have been very busy but I managed to pull it off. I used the same cream, Truefitt & Hill 1805 for the whole period. But for one week I tried a Mach 3 and the next I tried a Fusion, both manual versions.

Unless you use a decent amount of pressure neither will shave you that close. When you do get your technique down they work well, my problem is that they are boring and mundane. They aren't bad razors by any means, just boring. If they don't tear up your skin I can see my men gave up the DE.

Pat
I use a Sensor fairly often. I have gotten much better results with it after using a DE for a few years. I enjoy using it for variety and much more so recently since getting a high end handle (Thanks, Ben!). With a DE, I go slower and much more deliberately. With the Sensor, it flies around my face with almost reckless abandon. I still get a closer shave with a DE but can come pretty close with a Sensor.

I dislike the Mach 3. I used one for years and had problems with ingrowns. I can repeat that statement even now having gone back and tried it again.

I despise the Fusion for it's price, marketing concept, and horrible feel when using it. It gives an OK shave, but I did not like the experience at all. I cannot comment on it's effect on my complexion as I did not use it regularly or long enough.
Mike
murchmb

Post by murchmb »

bernards66 wrote: <snip>... The senior barber at the original AOS shop in NYC had years of experiance in shaving several men daily, because he worked most of his career in Russia. Even Mr. Gill knows a thing or two ( even if, in certain regards, he pretends he doesn't ), because he's older and came up in the barbering tradition in Britain. So, it depends, WHICH barbers you're talking about....and to.
Regards,
Gordon
I have only had one barber shave my face. I went to her regularly for haircuts until she moved away due to her husband's job. She was Lithuanian, very attractive, and didn't talk my ear off because her English skills were adequate, but limited. For the shaves, she used a hot towel prep, disposable cartridge razor, and Woody's products before, during, and after the shave. She really knew her stuff and used short, quick strokes. On a good day I could do better myself, but the experience was very relaxing and enjoyable, and the shave quality much better than other reports I've read on the forums.
Mike
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Trumperman wrote:Les & Fitch,

Where do I begin about Monty Park....[snip] His clients were a broad range of men. From The Prince, Tony Blair, and God [snip]
Not sure I'd boast about that last Client if I were Trumper's. I mean, omniscient: yes. Omnipotent: sure. Omnipresent: so they say. But well-groomed...?

(Remind me never to disclose what Park accidentally revealed about Stephen Fry and the San Remo hair dressing.)
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Bargepole wrote:
Trumperman wrote:Les & Fitch,

Where do I begin about Monty Park....[snip] His clients were a broad range of men. From The Prince, Tony Blair, and God [snip]
Not sure I'd boast about that last Client if I were Trumper's. I mean, omniscient: yes. Omnipotent: sure. Omnipresent: so they say. But well-groomed...?

(Remind me never to disclose what Park accidentally revealed about Stephen Fry and the San Remo hair dressing.)

Oh great, now we're all left hanging in the lurch.........

For the record Monty Park did not shave himself with a cut-throat. He always talked me out of purchasing one by saying "You cannot properly shave yourself with a cut-throat". I believe he used a Merkur DE for his personal use. (a re-branded Trumper model to be assured)

Will we ever know the full story of Stephen Fry?

Bill
Don't think......shave.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bill, Well, when you shared Monty Park's remark with me a while back, it reinforced a view point that I'd personally held for some time; that being that a straight is the ideal instrument to shave somebody ELSE, but not the best choice for shaving oneself. Another fine hand with an open razor, and also a Trumper barber for many years, Brian Samway, likewise used a DE at home.
Regards,
Gordon
jayb

Post by jayb »

bernards66 wrote:Mr. Gill is just being lazy and then trying to rationalize it away. You can do the shave half asleep, and figure you can overawe any ignorant customer who brings up maybe using an 'old fashioned straight razor'. In addition to which, most of the shaves done in his shop aren't done by him personally ( which is no doubt the way he prefers it.....more time for golf or whatever ), but rather by assistants who don't know the first thing about razors and shaving really. Kind of like the sales help at the AOS stores. Disregard his remark, as it is self serving.

Regarding the various cartridges, all of them give me razor bumps and most did not shaving me nearly as well as a DE properly used. A couple of them came close....but still the bumps and the general skin irritation. I am convinced they were entirely a marketing gimmick/strategy from the very beginning, and nothing more.
Regards,
Gordon
I haven't posted in a long while, but I saw this thread and I wanted to at least comment on the place since I've had a shave there. Gordon is correct though (as usual.) I had a lady do the shave who was ... well, good ... at least to look at, if you catch my drift. As for the shave: it was your typical M3 fare. It was nothing special, but in Mr. Aiden's defense, he just uses what is modern and available. Sort of a niche type of "barber" shop, if you will. If you want a nice shave in New Orleans, go to one of the hundreds of old-fashioned barbers and get a straight shave for ~$5.00. However, if you want to go and get a shave at the same place Brad Pitt gets shaved... you know where to go. :D
Justin
Satch

Post by Satch »

I have been DE shaving my face for about 1 year and using the M3 for headshaving and an occassional face shaving.

The results for me have been ingrown hairs on my face and similiar bumps on my head.

I have elected to head shave with my Futur that I recently picked up. It seems to handle better than the 38C particularly with head shaving.

With the M3 it seems that all goes well for a day or so then the dreaded ingrowns emerge. Cause and effect.
Dominiquepark

Post by Dominiquepark »

Hi I was wondering if anyone could really help me
Im Dominique Park, Monty Park granddaughter.
I'm looking for any information our pictures of my gardad. My dad was his son Gary park.
Sadly Monty passed away before I could really get to no him as my parent's split up when I was young. But I have a young daughter who would love any information, pictures, cds, videos, magazines,books about her great grandad
Thank you Dominique park
ateace

Post by ateace »

Hello, Dominique ----

I used to visit this site much more often - now very infrequently. Looks like things have quieted down here over the years. If you are still seeking information about your granddad, I'd suggest sending a private message to the member (Trumperman?) who posted the story about being shaved by Monty.

Have you tried to contact anyone at Trumpers?

Good Luck!

EDIT: It looks like Trumperman's last post on this site was four years ago, maybe a longshot to get a response.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Hi Dominique,

If you haven't already I suggest you try the email links for Bill (Trumperman) and Gordon (Bernards66). Gordon's is a gmail address so he's likely still at least connected to it, and Bill's is Yahoo. Their email addresses come up when you click the speech bubble next to "contact" on the side of each message. I haven't been on here much in a good while, but the email for me is still valid, so it might just work.

I used to live close to Gordon and chat with him over lunch from time to time and he's a fount of knowledge on shaving related things in the pre-online era. I haven't seen much of him on here in ages, but I'm sure he'd be delighted to hear from Monty Park's descendant!
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic