Shaving schedule

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Shaving schedule

Post by fallingwickets » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:12 am

With a lot of us at home now (fu corona!), are you finding your shave schedule changing, or are you gents keeping up the daily routine? I'm definitely getting morning creep...each morning is a little later and Ive turned off the alarms!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum

churchilllafemme

Re: Shaving schedule

Post by churchilllafemme » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:36 am

I am over 60 years old and essentially homebound now, with my wife doing the minimum necessary shopping, and I am considering shaving twice a day just to have something to do.
_______
John

brothers

Post by brothers » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:01 pm

Clive, it seems shaving is one of the few remaining positive 2020 experiences I look forward to, considering virtually everything else has basically become a non-stop source of dread, sadness, and disappointment. I have found that I look forward to my peaceful 15 minute early morning shave more than ever. John's mention of shaving twice a day is understandable.
Gary

SOTD 99%: soaps & creams, synthetic & badger brushes, General V2 by Colonial, Kai & Schick blades, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444

Rufus

Post by Rufus » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:07 pm

I haven’t changed my routine at all.
Bryan

CMur12

Post by CMur12 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:40 pm

Hi Clive, John, Gary, and Bryan -

I have never shaved every day, as my skin has never tolerated it. (Sporting a beard, a little growth in the shadow thereof is only noticeable under close inspection.) So, I normally shave three times a week.

I retired six years ago and have maintained the same shaving rhythm as before, so I don't think I'll likely change now. It is possible, however, that greater isolation and reduced socializing could result in my letting it go longer. On the other hand, longer neck whiskers tear up my shirt collars, so that might encourage my sticking to the old schedule. We'll see.

- Murray
Give me Soap or give me death!

John Rose

Post by John Rose » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:29 am

I'm retired. I always sleep 'til noon, and shave in the evenings.
No change there.
The only change in daily routine are the places that we do not go to (such as The Black Duck Café) because they are closed for the duration. :cry:
Don't chase the BBS.
Beware of Ghost Stubble - just ignore it.

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:50 am

John Rose wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:29 am
I always sleep 'til noon,
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

last time i slept until noon was when i was in my early twenty's!! I do however have no issues napping at noon LOL

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:15 am

fallingwickets wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:50 am
John Rose wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:29 am
I always sleep 'til noon,
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

last time i slept until noon was when i was in my early twenty's!! I do however have no issues napping at noon LOL

clive
I also have no problems napping at noon. Oops it’s 1:15. I’m late

Rufus

Post by Rufus » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:33 am

I can’t stand sleeping in, up by 6.00 am every day unless I’m ill. Must be a hold-over from my many, many years at boarding school. But I do like a short afternoon nap, usually 3.00 pm - 3.30 pm.
Bryan

CMur12

Post by CMur12 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:20 pm

Since we have migrated to sleep patterns:

I am a night owl, myself. I go to bed late and I get up late, and I can finally live in this pattern since I retired. I am finally adequately rested, whereas before, fatigue was the norm.

Throughout my work life, I was chronically under-rested. If I went to bed before I was sleepy, I wouldn't sleep well all night. Going to bed when I was sleepy, I had to get up before I had slept long enough. I became increasingly under-rested as the work week progressed. When I got to the weekend, I would just vegetate, trying to rest up. On Monday, I would start the pattern all over again. I was always sleepy in the afternoons, in particular, and I counted on caffeine to keep me functional. I also had major problems with becoming sleepy on the road.

I've read several articles that were essentially in agreement on this dynamic. It appears that approximately 50% of the population is somewhat adaptable to different sleep schedules. About 25% are "early birds" and 25% are "night owls." People from these latter two categories cannot successfully adapt from one category to the other.

This is another one of those cases that appears to be rooted in genetics. It is not a matter of character.

- Murray
Give me Soap or give me death!

John Rose

Post by John Rose » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:46 pm

For the last 17 years before retirement about 1/3 of my shifts were night shifts, from 8 pm to 8 am, rotating every six weeks. My default day was sleeping 'til noon, and I've not gotten out of the habit.
Don't chase the BBS.
Beware of Ghost Stubble - just ignore it.

slackskin

Post by slackskin » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:34 pm

I must be the outlier here. At age 74, maybe I'e been brainwashed. If I don't shave every morning, I look scuzzy and feel as if I don't matter. Shaving, grooming, and dressing makes me feel good about myself. I don't mean getting "dressed up," just something upscale from PJs or sweats. I'm fine with jeans and a collared shirt. Polo shirt most days. No tee shirts.

Rufus

Post by Rufus » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:01 am

slackskin wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:34 pm
I must be the outlier here. At age 74, maybe I'e been brainwashed. If I don't shave every morning, I look scuzzy and feel as if I don't matter. Shaving, grooming, and dressing makes me feel good about myself. I don't mean getting "dressed up," just something upscale from PJs or sweats. I'm fine with jeans and a collared shirt. Polo shirt most days. No tee shirts.
I’m 73 and I echo your thoughts completely. To me it’s a matter of having pride in myself and a positive frame of mind. Since I retired a dozen years ago I’ve not changed my routine and the way I present myself to the world.
Bryan

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:57 pm

Still shaving daily, albeit a bit later than previously. Tomorrow is my first day back to a sort-of normal work schedule (online teaching for the duration of the semester), so I think I'll gravitate back to early rising, my daily run, oatmeal, shower, and then coffee and a shave...before kicking off the teaching day at 8.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau

Bill_K

Post by Bill_K » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:00 am

Rufus wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:01 am
slackskin wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:34 pm
I’m 73 and I echo your thoughts completely. To me it’s a matter of having pride in myself and a positive frame of mind. Since I retired a dozen years ago I’ve not changed my routine and the way I present myself to the world.
Ditto. I'm on the cusp of retirement - Apr 30th, on my 62nd birthday - so I'll see if my routine changes once I'm off work. However, if holidays are any indication I'll be up before 07:00, have a full breakfast, then shower/shave to start my day.

I feel grubby if I don't shave.
Bill