Alum bar at local antique place... (pictures included)

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
rnconync

Alum bar at local antique place... (pictures included)

Post by rnconync »

Got a quick question...A local antique place has some shaving stuff for sale...one of the items is an old alm block still sealed in it's box. Looks to have some age one it...I tihnk they want $1-$2 dollars for it..

Do you think it would be worth picking up to use for shaving? Or more as a collectible?
Last edited by rnconync on Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

I would not use anything that old. Good luck.
rnconync

Post by rnconync »

Austin wrote:I would not use anything that old. Good luck.
haha...except for the razors! :wink:

I was thinking the same...but don't know if alum changes/goes bad with age? who knows...anyone else think I should try it?
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Since it is still sealed I don't see the big deal. It is a natural mineral that is millions of years old anyway. Maybe you would want to rinse of the outside of it for good measure though.
Richard
rnconync

Post by rnconync »

Well, I decided what the heck and picked up the alum bar! I got it for $1.50 at one of the local antique shops. Here are a few pictures of it...don't know how old it is...but I decided what the heck and washed it off pretty darn good after taking it out of the sealed box.

I then gave it a try after my shave tonight and it was great! I don't see any reason why I shouldn't have used it...I think I may just keep using it! :)

for actual size, it is roughly 3" by 2" by 1" in size

-Bruce
Rob

Post by Rob »

Now how do you use an alum block exactly? And what does it do for you? I have searched around but can't make heads or tails of this stuff.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I found the answer to my question in another thread. http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9776 Man, this place is great. I even found out what a stypic pencil is for, too!
rnconync

Post by rnconync »

haha...lot's of good info here...

Iprobably never would have thought of an alum block if it wern't for here, but for some reason lately, it's become a topic of discussion and I just got interested in trying it out..

It's basically used as an aftershave...you can even read direction on the box from the picture I posted!

The one I bought was old, but seems to not make a difference...still works!
-Bruce
growler

Post by growler »

NOt only does it work the same; you've now got a cool box to display!
rnconync

Post by rnconync »

yup! :)

Just for anyone who is interested...this is a post I made over at B&B about someone asking an alum block question..some of it is repeated, but the rest is new info!

I just picked up an "antique" alum block that I found among some shaving stuff at a local antique/collector place. Here are some pictures of it, with direction for use and ingrediants on the box. It explains it as a afteshave to close the pores.

I decide after picking this up to give it a try too...what the heck it was sealed in the box! I gave it a good rinse and tried it after my next shave! I reallyl liked using it and only got a mild sting in a few places from where I may have made tiny nicks...

In case you can't read the text on the box, it says:
"After shaving wash face with warm water and apply the alum block" "Active Ingredients Alum Potassium (I think, I'll have to check the box later) "average weight 4 OZ"

"Glacier Alum Block Crystal, an after shaving astringent is cool and soothing. Indispensible for minor razor cuts and tender skin. Reduces large pores.

Just for reference, I though the wikipedia write up on alum was pretty good. It mentioned the different types, deoderant stones, real alum (the kind this block is made of) shaving powder alum and stytic pencils (made of similar ingredients but is not considered alum) check out the write up! This also makes me think even more so that what I have hear people mention might work. I have heard many people say the the natural deoderant stones (available in most grocery stores) would work the same...after reading the ingredients of most of them..I thik this would be a good alternative to buying an alum bar on the net! You can pick up the deoderant stones for around 5 bucks from what I have seen at most stores... "Thai" branded deoderant stones say they use potassium alum, and I have seen them in the local whole foods, but I am sure they are available other places to! So I would look into that rather than buying it on the net!
-Bruce