Why is Marvis Toothpaste so darn thick/dense?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
AceHarddrive

Why is Marvis Toothpaste so darn thick/dense?

Post by AceHarddrive »

Hi all!

I've been using Marvis toothpaste for a while now and love it. I've been wondering why the stuff is/gets thicker/denser than plumber's caulk? How do you get the stuff out of the tube without damaging the tube?

Thanks everyone!
~Tim :wink:

The wolf
Is shaved
So neat and trim
Red Riding Hood
Is chasing him
Burma-Shave
jim

Post by jim »

That is very strange. I've been using Marvis, all kinds, for a long time. It's very soft . . . not hard at all. You must have a defective tube.
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

Yes, I've had not problem with Marvis getting hard, either.

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...
Bob

Post by Bob »

I purchased a tube of Tom's of Maine Shave Cream that had a similar problem. I set the tube in very hot water for about 15 minutes, and that seemed to clear it up. Good luck!
--Bob--
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

While the Marvis toothpaste is denser than the usual drug store stuff, it should not be so thick as to risk damaging the tube. Could be you have an old dehydrated tube.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
AceHarddrive

Post by AceHarddrive »

Thanks for the tip, Bob! I'll try it!

~Tim 8)
Bob wrote:I purchased a tube of Tom's of Maine Shave Cream that had a similar problem. I set the tube in very hot water for about 15 minutes, and that seemed to clear it up. Good luck!

The wolf
Is shaved
So neat and trim
Red Riding Hood
Is chasing him
Burma-Shave
ARenaissanceMan

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

In case anyone is looking for a source for their Marvis, now that the eBay store closed down, there is a high end boutique store called Anthropologie that carries it. Check the website to see if they sell in your area. Only $8 a tube as well.
Stauff

Post by Stauff »

Is Marvis really that much better than ordinary toothpaste? What is the difference?
Regards,
Frederik

'Alles Behaartsein ist tierisch. Die Rasur ist Abzeichen höherer Zivilisation' (Arthur Schopenhauer)
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

Stauff wrote:Is Marvis really that much better than ordinary toothpaste? What is the difference?
Yes, let's hear it. I just saw a place nearby that sells it.
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

Marvis is also available at Lee's Razors for $8 per tube. Is the Marvis worthy of its hefty price tag? IMO yes. Because of its denser formulation you will use less product than the usual drug store varieties. A tube will last easily between 2 or 3 months. I favor the Classic Strong Mint which is to regular mint toothpastes what smoker's mints are to regular breath mints. The higher concentration of flouride may be of concern to some, but not to me. For me, Marvis toothpaste is one of those products that once you've tried it, it's hard to go back to what you used before.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I respect Big Ren's opinions, and tend to try what he says (and there's a tube of Marvis strong mint beside my toothbrush now) but I think it's just toothpaste and not worth the extra money.
ARenaissanceMan

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

Big Ren wrote:Marvis is also available at Lee's Razors for $8 per tube. Is the Marvis worthy of its hefty price tag? IMO yes. Because of its denser formulation you will use less product than the usual drug store varieties. A tube will last easily between 2 or 3 months. I favor the Classic Strong Mint which is to regular mint toothpastes what smoker's mints are to regular breath mints. The higher concentration of flouride may be of concern to some, but not to me. For me, Marvis toothpaste is one of those products that once you've tried it, it's hard to go back to what you used before.

Ren
Agreed. I just tried to use some Crest total after staying over at a place and it tasted like crap.