Advice for a newbie

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
RueTheDay

Advice for a newbie

Post by RueTheDay »

I've been considering shaving with a straight razor for some time now, so I hopped on over to classicshaving.com and priced out a lower-end Dovo, Vulfix brush, strop, hones, shaving soaps, mug, skin treatments, etc. and the total came to around $300. More than I want to spend at the moment.

I'd prefer not to go the cheap route and buy a $5 Pakistani razor on eBay, since this is my face we're talking about.

Any suggestions for wetshaving on a budget?

I'm thinking about maybe just getting a Merkur DE razor plus the brush/mug/soaps to start with. That way I save around $30 on the razor and a ton of money on not having to buy the hones, strop, dressing, pastes, etc. which is where the real cost is.

Thoughts?
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

If you are jumping in from cartridge shaving (M3, Fusion, Quattro, etc), I would recommend starting off with a double edge razor like the Merkur HD. This will help you build your technique and get you practised using a brush and a single sharp blade.

You can always pick up some used str8 gear when you are ready. From time to time guys here sell these products as they tried it and found it wasn't for them. Also, if you head over to www.straightrazorplace.com the "honemeisters" often have many shave-ready old str8's for sale. This would probably be a better place to start off with a cheap old blade so you don't screw up a new one.
Richard
RueTheDay

Post by RueTheDay »

rustyblade wrote:If you are jumping in from cartridge shaving (M3, Fusion, Quattro, etc), I would recommend starting off with a double edge razor like the Merkur HD. This will help you build your technique and get you practised using a brush and a single sharp blade.
Yes, I currently alternate between a Mach 3 and a <gasp> Norelco electric.

I think I will go the Merkur route. Is there a particular model that you'd recommend?
You can always pick up some used str8 gear when you are ready. From time to time guys here sell these products as they tried it and found it wasn't for them. Also, if you head over to www.straightrazorplace.com the "honemeisters" often have many shave-ready old str8's for sale. This would probably be a better place to start off with a cheap old blade so you don't screw up a new one.
Good info. Thanks.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

RueTheDay wrote:
I think I will go the Merkur route. Is there a particular model that you'd recommend?
The Merkur HD is an excellent choice. Despite it being one of the cheapest Merkur's, it is the best. An adjustable just confuses matters and doesn't neccessarily give you a better shave. It can just lead to more irritation and frustration for a new shaver. Many experienced shavers here prefer "fixed" head razors like the HD.

Make sure you pick up a decent brush, it doesn't have to be the biggest or most expensive, but some type of badger brush is recommended. Soaps and creams are mostly personal and everyone has their likes and dislikes. Most of what Classic sells is good product and they are a good company to deal with. Generally soaps will cut closer than creams. Creams offer a bit more protection, but again, that is a bit of a generalization. Taylor of Old Bond street is a good choice/price for creams.
Richard
RueTheDay

Post by RueTheDay »

Ok, I just placed my order. Here's what I got:

Merkur "Hefty Classic" Safety Razor
Merkur "Double-Edge" SS Platinum Blades
Vulfix #403 Best Badger Shaving Brush
Classic "Traditional" Shaving Mug, Solid Color Sharkskin Grey
Shaving Mug Soap, Regular - 1 Unscented, 1 Bay Rum, 1 Sandalwood, 1 Lime
Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream, 75ml Tube 47 Shaving Shop
Proraso "Liquid Cream" After Shave Balm
Classic Brand Pure Block Alum Styptic

That should be enough to get me going.

I'll report back with results in a week or two.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

That is an excellent starter kit, they all good products. We look forward to hearing how you make out. Welcome to SMF btw.
Richard
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

At the risk of tooting my own horn, I've collected all my shaving knowledge in one post. If you read through that, you'll pick up some useful info.

As to your picks:

The Merkur HD is a solid choice.

Merkur blades, in my experience, are not sharp enough to give a good, comfortable shave. By all means get the sampler pack from LetterK (link in the post above): different blades work differently for different folks (and, some say, different razors). I find Feathers give me the smoothest, most comfortable shave. Others don't.

The Vulfix brush will do a fine job. But if you want another brush, I highly recommend saving up and getting the Simpson Emperor 3 Super. A really great brush.

Note that you will have better results using the shaving mug you got just to charge the brush with soap, and then develop the lather in a separate bowl. My experience is that a hemispherical bowl about 5" across and 3" deep works best (for me---YMMV). I read fairly frequently of guys picking up a perfect lathering bowl in a Goodwill store for 25 cents.

The block alum is a great after-shave face treatment, but if you get a real nick, I suggest My Nik Is Sealed as a better blood stauncher.

You're off to a very solid start. Keep us posted.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Good luck, "Rue". Remember to go slow, and don't use much pressure when shaving with a DE.

If you do a search in the archives, you'll find plenty of good advice to beginning DE razor users.
--Bob--
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Leisureguy,

I tried to keep things simple for the new fellow. Why is there the need around here to complicate matters?... :)
Last edited by rustyblade on Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
msandoval858

Post by msandoval858 »

I personally think the Merkurs are a good start. The Feather will give a better shave, but only when cutting with a trained hand. I think I tried Feather too early and wrote them off quickly. Now I agree with everyone else that they are the best.

My advise, use the Merkurs, learn the DE technique first. Then try Feather.
Mike
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

msandoval858 wrote:
My advise, use the Merkurs, learn the DE technique first. Then try Feather.
Good advice, keep it simple...
Richard
rahul325
wEtShAvEr

Post by rahul325 »

just remember, NO PRESSURE, if u remember this u will be razor burn free :)
Wet shaving is an expensive addiction :twisted:

FS - 2 fatboys - E2 and F4, both in good condition. Pls PM me
Rob

Post by Rob »

rahul325 wrote:just remember, NO PRESSURE, if u remember this u will be razor burn free :)
That, and don't try for hair elimination on the first pass. Perform hair reduction over 2-3 passes with a reapplication of cream or soap each time.
rahul325
wEtShAvEr

Post by rahul325 »

Rob_TN wrote:
rahul325 wrote:just remember, NO PRESSURE, if u remember this u will be razor burn free :)
That, and don't try for hair elimination on the first pass. Perform hair reduction over 2-3 passes with a reapplication of cream or soap each time.
ditto :)

also, u really dont HAVE to go for the S-N pass in the beginning if it hurts, let us skin get used to shaving with a DE and take the S-N pass very easy.

when i did hte S-N pass with the merkur HD i had a BAD razor burn. did not attempt it till 2 days back with the gillette fatboy at setting 1. no razor burn at setting 1 :)
Wet shaving is an expensive addiction :twisted:

FS - 2 fatboys - E2 and F4, both in good condition. Pls PM me
fprintf

Post by fprintf »

Rob_TN wrote:
I wish I had paid closer attention to this. I just tried my first DE shave, against my own better judgement, and got quite a bit of rash on my neck. I attribute this to a) applying pressure that I should not have, though much less than I would do with my double bladed disposable, and b) going over spots that seemed like they were rough again, without relathering. I will say, however, that after a 3 pass shave that it is pretty darn good, though not as good as a 3 pass shave with my double blade disposable. More practice is necessary I guess!
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Biggest contributor to burn is incorrect blade angle. Keep it to a minimum - drop the blade until it just (and I mean just) starts to cut the hair. Practice the maintenance of this angle throughout your shave and you will be good to go.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.