Just completed my first wetshave

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
RueTheDay

Just completed my first wetshave

Post by RueTheDay »

I'm still waiting for my order from Classicshaving to show up, so in the meantime, I went on down to Target today and got some Prorasso Cream, Soap, and Brush. Gave it a try for the first time tonight using my Mach 3. Results were pretty good. I watched all of Mantic's videos and tried to follow along as best as I could. The toughest part for me was using "single" light smooth strokes. I usually do this herky jerky motion moving the razor up and down by about a half inch each way rapid fire as I drag it across my face. I didn't get any razor burn or major nicks, but I rarely do anyway. The shave was not quite as close as usual, but probably at 90% - I'm sure it will improve with time. I made 2 with-grain passes followed by 1 against grain pass, using as light of pressure as I could. Followed up with Nivea Extra Sensitive balm (don't usually use anything at all). Overall, it was much more refreshing and enjoyable than a normal shave. I can't wait for my Merkur HD and Vulfix beaver brush to show up, should have it by the weekend.

Rich
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Wonderful beginning. I find that the shaving stroke I used to use with a cartridge razor has just about totally gone, and now I use a shorter, smoother, lighter stroke quite naturally.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Proraso is a good cream and allows for quick touch-up strokes like you're used to. However I recommend not doing this with a DE until you've gotten used to it. Just don't go for the perfect shave right away. Be content with decent shaves for awhile. If you get greedy early on you'll soon wish you hadn't. The great shaves will come. Just be patient.
kd7kip

Re: Just completed my first wetshave

Post by kd7kip »

RueTheDay wrote:I can't wait for my Merkur HD and Vulfix beaver brush to show up, should have it by the weekend.

Rich
:shock:

I think (hope) you mean badger, old boy. Welcome.

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

MMmmmmm.........beaver.....

Cliff
"Everything that can be invented, has been invented."
-Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.
hampsteronastick

Post by hampsteronastick »

I was trying to find this post again by Googling keywords "shaving brush and beaver". Needless to say, this is not one of the first links that came up.javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
Dan
Daddy, why are you dipping the hampster in whipped cream?
It's not whipped cream, it's shaving cream.
Daddy, why are you shaving the hampster?
RueTheDay

Post by RueTheDay »

Yeah yeah yeah, I know, BADGER.

Anyway, I "wetshaved" with the Prorasso, boar brush, and Mach3 every day for a week, and by the end of the week was getting a nice BBS shave.

Decided to give the Merkur HD and the BADGER brush a whirl tonight. The brush was a HUGE improvement over the boar, I couldn't believe how quickly it made lather and how much lather it made using the same inch of cream.

The HD took some getting used to. I gave myself a nice cut on the upper lip when my hand slipped. Other than that though, I didn't get any nicks or razor burn. Probably because I was way conservative with the angle and pressure. I did not get a very close or even shave though. It's going to take some practice. Keeping the angle consistent over all parts of the face is tricky.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Keeping that angle right is indeed tricky, but as you practice and pay close attention, it is amazing how quickly you can do it---but it always requires attention, which is why the shave is so absorbing: it keeps you focused.
TimmyBoston

Post by TimmyBoston »

I completedly my first, what I'd like to call "real" wetshave last week and I couldn't be happier with the results. Yes, I still nick myself and there's a touch of razor burn, but I expect this. I'm doing something totally foreign. For the last 6-7 years, I've maybe shaved once a week. I thought the stubble made me look cool. No need to comment on that one. 8) Not to mention I honestly despised shaving. But now that I've learned a few things, I'm honestly really enjoying it, though only a few months ago I wouldn't have believed this was possible, but I am really, truly enjoying it. I look forward to my next shave a lot.
Today I picked up some Proraso ASB to go with my Proraso shaving cream and pre/post shave cream. I am very happy with the products, the ASB has made a huge difference from the stuff I was using. It's incredibly soothing and a little bit goes a long way so that's even easier on the pocketbook. But for now, I look forward to keep reading and learning and I hope everyone will be patient with me when I ask the occasional, ok, probably the often, stupid question. :D
Tim

Boston Red Sox 2004 World Series Champs
I know I'm living in the past, it's all we've got!

Not anymore! Reigning World Champs!
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Tim,

You make a good point, and something I've mentioned before. You've spent a lifetime getting bad to mediocre shaves. Don't expect that to change overnight. But, once the planets align and the stars are in place...damn!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
RueTheDay

Post by RueTheDay »

Just made wetshave number two with the Merkur HD. Much closer than last night's, and with just a couple of nicks around the lower neck area. If I keep improving at this rate, I'll be BBS in a few days.
mparker762

Post by mparker762 »

Don't push it too hard. Just focus on your technique, day after day, and you'll get to BBS soon enough. If you start fixating on achieving BBS then your shaves can go south on you quickly...
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

mparker762 wrote:Don't push it too hard. Just focus on your technique, day after day, and you'll get to BBS soon enough. If you start fixating on achieving BBS then your shaves can go south on you quickly...
Very good advice - trying to do this every day too quickly could result in discomfort. Tomorrow, just do a nice shave without going for BBS - you skin will really appreciate it. Then try for the BBS again and alternate until you get your technique down.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.