I think I would like to be a barber....

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
aaronrules

I think I would like to be a barber....

Post by aaronrules »

I would first like to ask any barbers, if there are any on this board, if they feel like they are as needed/gone too as much now, as back in the day? I am kinda at a point in my life (29 yrs. old and needing to finish school) where I really want to point in one direction and just go with it. I think that being a barber might just be one of those directions.

I live in Fort Smith, AR. It's a town of about 80,000. With another 50,000 to 60,000 people in the surrounding 30 minute drive. I haven't looked real hard for one, but I have seen a couple barber poles around. There is a Sport Clips...which is probably the most prevalant mens haircutting place. But you would have to look pretty hard to find a "real" barber.

I just wonder if this might the perfect little venture. I have no real idea about schooling...there are two in this state. But what do you do there? What kind of things are offered at barber shops. I invision the old fashion barber shop...that is what I think would be really cool to own/work in. Is word of mouth the best advertisment?

Okay I am rambling....if there are any barbers out there....I would just like to see if they have any advice to give!

Thanks guys...
Aaron
Ft. Smith, AR
I love this forum!
MOSES

Re: I think I would like to be a barber....

Post by MOSES »

aaronrules wrote:Is word of mouth the best advertisment?
I would say a combination of word of mouth and location. A large number of the barber shops I have visited have been simply because I happened to see it, it was convenient, and it large like a real, old-fashioned shop.

Manhattan is a little of a unique situation, of course. But when I moved to the Upper East Side about a year ago, there was a barber shop just up the street that opened at almost the same time. I went, honestly, partly because he had a barber pole, partly because he was right up the street, partly because the place looked appealing (not "fancy" and not salon like, or like a god-awful pretentious AOS type storefront, but just black-and-white checked floor tiles, a bench to sit on while waiting, a TV, and some magazines), and out of sympathy, because he had NO customers. I got a great haircut, from the quite young proprietor, probably the best I have gotten, and continue to go there, when I get around to getting cut. At the time, I think part of the appeal he had also, was being open crazy hours. This might not be as important elsewhere, but in manhattan it helps if you are open at 8:30pm when a guy is walking by on his way home from work, thinking "I need a haircut." At this point, his hours are down to good, but normal, his price has gone up $5 or so (still a pretty good deal at around $14), he is usually cutting someone's hair when you walk by, and he has added a part-timer in his second chair.

Does not seem like such a bad gig, if you are a social type person. You get to chat all day. Not super stressful work (although owning your on business is maybe another matter). A sense of accomplishment from working with your hands and satisfying customers. When things are slow, you can relax and read or watch TV. If you are business minded, there is the chance to own your own business, rent out chairs to expand, open additional stores, etc.

But if you do it, and do open your own shop, find a way to pony up the dough for a good location. Doesn't have to be luxury location, but it REALLY needs to be someplace where gents will see it - like downtown, if your town has a decent one, or, alternatively, in a reasonably happening strip mall.
Alrighty, stickim up and hand over the Coates real nice and slow like....
aaronrules

Post by aaronrules »

yeah in this town location is the only thing in the world that can do good for your buisness. I think that the main reason I feel I would like to persure this, is because I know whats it like to try to find a good place to get your haircut. And once you find a good place...that's where/who you go to. I am going to look a little further into schooling and whatnot. Maybe try to find a couple shops around town and go talk to the people inside...

Another great possibilty in all this is to be the place in town to get good supplies. I imagine a place to get a good shave, and then take home some good stuff to use at home! There are just as many people out there NOT using the internet to find products...those guys need a place to actually GO to to buy there stuff!
Aaron
Ft. Smith, AR
I love this forum!
Fzoul

Post by Fzoul »

Aaron,

I'm not a barber but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Seriously though, I will only go to real barber partly because I can get a hair cut (what's left anyway) for $10 including tip. Also, I like the old chairs my barber has and it reminds me of going with my Grandfather when I was MUCH younger.

Sounds like a great idea - my vote is to keep it simple and old worldly. If you feel strongly about it get on my friend and good luck! :D
GO DAWGS!

What!? Like I can help it...
Bicster

Post by Bicster »

As someone who has worked closely with venture capitalists and someone who has himself raised tremendous amounts of capital, I would say think twice. If you are able to secure the needed funds it is very very hard to eek out a respectable living.

That being said, I would happy to help you with your business plan. Your're gonna need one!!
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I think you may find that many gents will not trust a barber under 50 years of age!

In my town, my barber complains that the Italian community cut their own hair (often by wives in the basement). I thought he was crazy (he is crazy, actually, positively nuts), I checked my neighborhood mailbox, sure enough, local women advertising haircuts in their homes for men and women, cheap. Very little overhead. I know this is just a crazy local thing though.

I'll tell you one thing, he faces onto a busy road, and he is a somewhat busy barber. He always cries poor, and I have no reason not to believe him. The rent is killing him. In my own business i've learned to easily spot a bullshitter. A guy that his business is in financial trouble, you can see it in his eyes and the way he walks in the door.

The good old days are over.

Unfortunately.
Richard
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

I have a few points to offer:

First you must go to a barber school and get a full barber license.

Once you are licensed either work in an already established shop for a couple of years to gain experience and/or work freelance and go to peoples homes and/or business locations to give barber services. I knew a barber who started off this way and she became very successful and opened her own shop.

Once you have some experience and wish to open your own shop start small. In my town 2 brothers with about 5 years experience each opened a small 2 man barber shop. Within a year they had to squeeze in another barber chair for another barber. Now they are moving down the street to a bigger location about 4X the size.

BTW, barber chairs are not cheap--they are quite expensive. The classic old type chairs go for about $6000 each. The newer ones, though not as nice are cheaper but still an expensive purchase. I believe they start around $1200.

Good luck.
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

sousy

Post by sousy »

nteeman wrote:BTW, barber chairs are not cheap--they are quite expensive. The classic old type chairs go for about $6000 each. The newer ones, though not as nice are cheaper but still an expensive purchase. I believe they start around $1200.
If you can find a "old" barber chair, you can refurbish them with the help of a seasoned upholsterer.

(Yes, they're a pain to actually take apart and are heavy as hell, but it can be done.)

I'd also spend a little time with someone at a barber college to get a feel for the "possibilities" out there and what graduates have done.
Regards,

Chad
Heirphoto

Post by Heirphoto »

Hard way to make something well short of a living. Okay, the local Hair Cuttery chain type places (not really barbershops) charge $15-20 for mens haircuts and you get about 15 -20 minutes tops in the chair. The small private shop I visit is the same $15 plus I leave a $5 tip. She spends about 30 minutes on me.

So, $15 a cut plus a tip (it's not usually customary to tip the owner though which would be you <g>) of $5 and you make $20 a cut x 2 an hour = $40 an hour x 8 hours a day = $320 a day gross. Minus rent, insurance, supplies, electric, etc....

Hmm, wonder why we don't see more small barbershops.........

Tony Miller
The Heirloom Razor Strop Co.
www.thewellshavedgentleman.com
baldchin

Post by baldchin »

One thing about small shops in general, its really hard to do on your own.
Much easier with a partner. Partners though are either hard to get or hard to live with.
Will

If it's smokin' it's cookin', when it's black it's done.
aaronrules

Post by aaronrules »

awesome stuff guys! I thought I had thought about most of the stuff involved with opening a buisness, but i wasn't thinking that much about start up costs. I am going to look around at the shops around town (maybe even the sport clips) and see what kind stuff i can expect if I decide to go this route. I think that it would be awesome to find a place that will give you a shave and a hair cut...just like to ol' days!
Aaron
Ft. Smith, AR
I love this forum!
olkev

Post by olkev »

I think those old time tonsorial palaces dedicated to the exclusive care and maintenance of testosterone is just what we need. Some say they are making a comeback. I hope so.

Ol' Kev
If the girls don't think you're handsome, at least let 'em think you're handy . . . - Red Green

Gold Gillette Tech
pre/post '48 Gold Aristocrats (2)
1970 Gold Gillette Super Adjustable
Shave Monkey

Post by Shave Monkey »

Ever seen "The Man Who Wasn't There"? Several scenes, including the opener, take place in a classic looking barber shop. Sure, it's Hollywood's version, but you might enjoy watching it.