Shaving in the Movies

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Blazing Saddles

Post by AACJ »

We just watched Blazing Saddles and saw Gene Wilder shaving with a straight edge while he was talking to Sherriff Bart.

It looked like he didn't know what he was doing either. He was holding the razor perpendicular to his face and was just moving it back and forth and just removing the shave cream. I bet if it was a sharp blade, he would have cut his face off.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
dubes

Post by dubes »

Since we're mentioning the Simpsons, here are a couple:
First season, when Homer and Marge go out for a night on the town and leave the kids with a baby sitter (who turns out to be a wanted criminal), Homer shaves before the big night and as soon as he's done, his five o'clock shadow reappears.

Second season Simpsons, when Homer eats poisonous blowfish and thinks he's about to die, he teaches Bart how to shave. ("Don't worry! The blood will hold it right on your face!")

And on a different note, the opening scene of Brokeback Mountain (which for me was pretty much the only watchable part of the movie), one of the characters shaves using a double edge and the refelction in the sideview mirror of his car.
CRR

Post by CRR »

ina_lather wrote:'Shaving Private Ryan'???

-whatever

-Lou
Check this out:

http://www.menessentials.com/oxid.php/s ... ivates.tpl
Chris.

Steady Boy, Steady!
CRR

Post by CRR »

In the movie "Hard Times" with Charles Bronson, there is a scene of a barbor shaving someone with a straight, didn't look like the razor was very sharp, he was a little too casual with it.
Chris.

Steady Boy, Steady!
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

CRR wrote:

-whatever

-Lou
Check this out:

Whoa....... I sense a new Topic. Who wants to be Moderator ? =D>
designwise1

Post by designwise1 »

I noticed a couple of different shave scenes in the first season of Deadwood (HBO show). Dan is using a brush behind the bar in one scene. They never actually showed him using a razor. I forgot who was in the other scene but it looked like a DE (in 1890?!?!). Very short quick strokes, too. Ouch!
Of course in the second season Francis (the geologist) uses a straight razor to murder those women. I haven't watched the second season enoujgh to see if they have improved their shaving techniques. Great series, though.
Gerald Martin
SharkHat

Post by SharkHat »

In "Phenomenon" John Travolta gets a shave from Kyra Sedgwick, I believe with a straight.

I'm glad I don't have to shave a chin like Travolta's.
ina_lather

Post by ina_lather »

CRR wrote:

-whatever

-Lou
Check this out:

That would be Shaving Private Johnson

-whatever

-Lou
"...of all the gin-joints, in all the towns, in all the world..."
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

:lol:
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

CRR wrote:

-whatever

-Lou
Check this out:

I don't know if this is something we really want on our site. Just my personal opinion.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
designwise1

Post by designwise1 »

Yeah, that WAY too much information.

How 'bout those Bears?

(subtle change of subject)
TSMAN

Post by TSMAN »

Not sure if this one was mentioned (as I have not read all of the posts - getting pretty long).
Anyway, there is a movie called Wrestling Ernest Hemingway (with Sandra Bullock, Robert Duval, Richard Harris, and Shirley Maclaine). Long story short - Robert Duval's character is a cuban who moved (defected) to America as a young man and becomes a barber (in the clasic sense - shaves, haircuts, etc.), but in the movie is retired (the movie takes place in Florida). Well, Richard Harris' character befriends Duval and they begin to spend time together (2 single men in the twilight of their lives). Harris' character was in the navy for nearly all of his adult life, but in his waning years, he does not keep up his appearance (messy hair, unshaven, etc.) At one point in the movie, Duval gives Harris a hair cut but then decides that he also needs a shave to really clean up his appearance. Duval mixes the concoction in a mug with water and a brush, uses a straight razor, and finishes it off by gently but thoroughly massaging an after shave lotion into Harris' face. Duval's character ends up giving Harris a pat on the back when done, which wakes Harris up - the shave had been such a soothing experience that Harris' character fell asleep during it.
Even before I was into high end shaving products, I always liked that scene - it's a brief but great part of the movie (the movie itself is very good - you won't see alot of explosions or sex or high speed chases, but if you like a good human story and a few good laughs thrown in you might enjoy watching this).

Another quick one - in The Untouchables - a barber lathers up Al Capone (played by Robert Deniro), wipes the cream off the very top of the sideburn, and starts to go to work, when all of the sudden he cuts Capone and the blood starts running down Capone's cheek. Capone makes a quick move and touches his face and sees the blood. The barber's eyes are as wide as dinner plates b/c he obviously thinks that Capone is going to whack him right there on the spot (but he doesn't).
Sean
TSMAN

Post by TSMAN »

In The Natural, there is a quick scene pretty late in the movie which shows the baseball clubhouse and has Richard Farnsworth's character (Red) and Wilford Brimley's character (Pop Fisher) shaving at separate sinks with DEs.

The sitcom Mash used to show characters shaving from time to time.

In the movie My Life (where Michael Keaton's character is stricken with cancer) Keaton's character has a difficult challenge b/c his wife Nicole Kidman has just given birth to a son. Keaton has already lived beyond what the doctors had thought so he begins making all kinds of video tapes about different things that he would have taught his son as he grew up. One session involves shaving where Keaton goes through the do's and don'ts of shaving.

In the movie Stakeout, Adinn Quinn's character is an ex-con (just broke out of jail). There is a quick seen where he shaves off his beard with what appears to be an old blue handled gillette disposable (like the old white bics you could buy 10 (or so) in a pack - ah the good old days LOL).
Sean
TSMAN

Post by TSMAN »

In the movie Predator, there is a quick shot of one of the characters dry shaving with a truly disposable razor. He ends up pressing so hard on the razor that the blade end snaps off leaving two red lines that the blade left behind.
Sean
TSMAN

Post by TSMAN »

In the movie Spring Break, while on spring break in Florida one guy is shaving while the other asking what he is supposed to be shaving (apparently b/c he had a baby face and not much facial hair).
Sean
TSMAN

Post by TSMAN »

In one of the Crocodile Dundee movies, Mic Dundee is shaving with a gillette sensor-typre razor until he hears Linda Kozlowski's character coming up behinfd him, at which point he quickly puts the razor away and gets out his big unting knife and pretends to be shaving with that. :wink:
Sean
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

TSMAN wrote:In The Natural, there is a quick scene pretty late in the movie which shows the baseball clubhouse ...snip....and Wilford Brimley's character (Pop Fisher) shaving at separate sinks with DEs.

Are you sure that's not gramps?
Art

AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

TSMAN wrote:In one of the Crocodile Dundee movies, Mic Dundee is shaving with a gillette sensor-typre razor until he hears Linda Kozlowski's character coming up behinfd him, at which point he quickly puts the razor away and gets out his big unting knife and pretends to be shaving with that. :wink:
Are you sure that's not gramps?
Art

TSMAN

Post by TSMAN »

Certainly a bit of a resemblance isn't there? :P
Sean
MrDink

Somersby

Post by MrDink »

The "western" you might be talking about might be Somersby. Jodie Foster Shaves Richard Gere with a SR when he returns from the Civil War.