Shaving in the Movies

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
cleanshavenlad

Post by cleanshavenlad »

Gramps wrote:Late last night on "LoneStar" TV, I saw Bonanza..........

Adam (Pernell Roberts) Cartright shaved with a str8 razor.

His lather was a bit too "voluminous" but he seemed to know haow to handle the blade correctly.

- Gramps
Do you remember the title of the episode?
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

cleanshavenlad wrote:
Do you remember the title of the episode?
No sorry.
I didn't even get to see the whole episode, as I was doing other things atthe time. Just glad I happened to catch that scene.

- Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
Drummer

Post by Drummer »

Surfing on the tube the other night, I caught a scene from an All In The Family episode where both Archie and the Meathead are in the bathroom together shaving - sounds a little odd, doesn't it? Anyway, Archie had a straight, and Meathead had what may have been an Atra or something similar. They were in the middle of an argument and Archie is waving that straight all over the place, and occasionally taking quick short strokes at various locations on his face. Then Edith comes into the cramped bathroom, and Archie really goes off - I had to change the channel... I know that straight had to be dull for use as a prop, but seeing him waving it around like that made me too nervous to watch it any longer!
Joe
SupaDongzu

tubes and flappers

Post by SupaDongzu »

Drummer wrote:Surfing on the tube the other night
It took me a few moments to realize that you weren't talking about the London Underground.

By the way, I noticed in the Steamboat Bill Jr. clip on someone's site that the lady was getting a trim in the seat next to Buster's cutthroat shave. She didn't seem like much of a flapper, so isn't that a little early for the whole unisex thing?
"If, as they say, God spanked the town
for being over frisky,
why did He burn the churches down
and save Hotaling's whisky?"
-- San Francisco Earthquake rhyme, 1906
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

In the new HBO series 'Rome', Ceasar has an aid shave him with a straight and no cream...Must have been out of Proraso :lol:
blackgrass
Mandolin Twanger (sans drool)

Post by blackgrass »

There are a couple of shaving scenes in the Sean Penn movie "The Assassination of Richard Nixon" where Sean is using a Gillette DE and shaving in the front seat of his car using a Thermos of warm water to rinse his razor.
growler

Post by growler »

Herny Fonda shaves with a straight in his stateroom in "The Lady Eve." (One of the best movies ever, btw.)
kal

Post by kal »

The one shave scene I envy is Dan Aykroyd being shaved by his butler
Denholm Elliott in his home barber chair in Trading Places 1983.
mike

Post by mike »

In Stalag 17 William Holden gets a straight shave from the character named "Cookie". Great movie.
Mike

~ Beati Pacifici~
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

And what about the scene in the Hulk?
andrew_sam3

Post by andrew_sam3 »

Hi guys,

Heres my 2c:

- Robert Redford shaves with a D/E in 'Spy Game' when he's talking to Brad Pitt. Good technique too!

- In Barber Shop the movie where an old guy (to much amazement of the other guys in the shop) pulls out a box with 2 pristine engraved straight razors, strops them (properly - he must have had tips from Straightrazorplace!), and tells the owner (Ice Cube) he's going to shave the customer "so close he''ll have skin like Gary Coleman when he's finished". Laughed my head off!!

- in The Fugitive Harrison Ford shaves his beard off with a combination of scissors, barbosol and a D/E. Can't believe he didn't get any cuts from using Barbosol!!

Regs,
Andy
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

see? shave foams are good
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Another episode of Bonanza today (This time paid attention and got the episode title: "The Tax Collector"... :lol: )

Hoss Cartwright (Dan Blocker) is trying to find employment for his inept friend Jock.
They get shoo'd away from most places, but one place that offers to give Jock a try is the barbershop. It appears that Jock has to prove himself by shaving Hoss. The razor looks like one of the oversized advertising razors we used to see in the barbershops. Hoss has some pretty thin lather on his face and Jock is seen stropping the razor under the watchful eye of the barber. He gives Hoss a good nick on his left cheek and cuts the strop in half, stropping.
A funny episode. The shave scene is not that long, but takes place in the first half of the show.

- Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Also a scene of Matt Dillon shaving in "Gunsmoke". (no episode title that I saw)....
Matt had just killed a prisoner by mistake (the prisoner had been a friend and was trying to warn Matt there was someone behing him at the campfire, but Matt thought it was the old "Don't look behind you" rouse. The prisoner made a move and Matt shot him.

A bit later in the hotel above Miss Kitty's Saloon.... Matt is shaving with a straight razor when Festus walks in.

- Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

First Blood. Tonight while watching, I picked up on something that I had never noticed. After Stallone has been arrested, and the deputies are "going to clean him up", they prepare a straight razor for his shave, by honing on either a barber's hone or a whetstone, but they hone the razor "backwards", as if they are stropping!

Just another Hollywood screw up!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Gunky

Post by Gunky »

in saving private ryan right after the opening scene of d-day invasion, they set up camp and u see a shot of a guy shaving with a DE, a bowl of hot water and a small mirror
ina_lather

Post by ina_lather »

'Shaving Private Ryan'???

-whatever

-Lou
"...of all the gin-joints, in all the towns, in all the world..."
ina_lather

Post by ina_lather »

Okay, for me, the most influential shaving scene is in "Treasure of the Sierra Madre', where Bogie gets a straight-razor shave from a Mexican barber, and after he finishes, the barber slaps on some aftershave and then takes his towel and twirls it to create a breeze to dry and cool his face - I have adopted that 'towel twirl' as part of my daily routine - to dry my face after applying the Alum block, and also after applying my Pinaud aftershave mixed with NatureAde aloe gel.

-fabulous

-Lou
"...of all the gin-joints, in all the towns, in all the world..."
Englishman

Post by Englishman »

Ok I can think of two that haven't been mentioned....

The first one is Bitter Moon by Roman Polanski... a great film if you haven't seen it... Oscar, played by Peter Coyote is just about to shave with a straight when other half Mimi, played by Emmanuelle Seigner, ask's if she can shave him with it, she cuts him then licks the blood off his face.... along with some shaving cream.... Very Steamy..!!!

The only other one that springs to mind is in Star Trek.... I think it's Insurrection.... When Will and Deanna are in the bath together and he's just about to shave off a beard that outlived the Enterprise D... :P
~ Rico ~
Sinatra

Post by Sinatra »

In the Steve Martin spoof of 1940s movies 'Dead Men Wear Plaid' (possible wrong title) Steve Martin sings a Barabsol gingle and lathers up his tounge with a shaving brush and shaves his tounge with a DE!

Pat
"Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president."
-Theodore Roosevelt