Shaving Mugs

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Johnnie
Shave This

Shaving Mugs

Post by Johnnie »

I have been looking for a shaving mug. I have seen several different types. I have seen the plain old mug, just like a coffee mug. I have also seen some that look like tea kettles. I guess it has holes in the mug. Can someone please give the breakdown on all the different types of mugs available and which one I would benefit the most from. Which type do you guys use, and does it really matter?
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

I don't use the tea kettle type mugs (scuttles) only because I like to use big bars of soap or do a custom melt job with the soap. I therefore use a simple, ceramic, over-sized shaving mug that can easliy accomodate my Simpson Polo 12 shaving brush.

I hear scuttles are good though since the water in bottom will keep the cake of soap on top warm.

It's all about personal preference though. A mug is a mug if you ask me so I wouldn't invest in anything super expensive. I say save your $$$ for a fine cream or brush.

IMHO

Vince
:::Vince:::
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

I'll pretty much echo Vince here. The teapot-like thing is a shaving scuttle and made for hard shaving soaps. I actually have a couple scuttles that my father-in-law gave me (one quite attractive--he said he found 'em at a junk store!) but I haven't used them yet because at the moment all I have are creams! :oops:

At the moment I'm using a big latte' cup, which works well except its so wide that it loses heat pretty quickly, even if I set it in a sink of warm water. But it works great for whipping up a lather without making a racket with the handle of my brush banging the side of the cup. Personally, I'd look for mugs that are "wide and low"--a larger diameter than average, and lower sides. :wink:

--Mark
Keef

Post by Keef »

My son has a Blues Clues plastic cup that has a wide top. It works great with my AOS or Taylor cream.
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

That is really funny. Here I am trying to find the perfect mug and you are using your sons. :lol:
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Hi Johnnie,
I use an old "Old Spice" mug that I have had for about 35 years! It is the short mug type with the ships on it. I use Williams soap cakes in it.
In anticipation of the creams I will be ordering (soon I hope) from Charles, I have acquired a fired clay "bowl" . It is about 4 1/2" across and 2" deep. (Actually I think it is supposed to be a cereal bowl, LOL it has a 'Happy Face' on the side ) I liked it so I bought it... for $2.00 at the 'Buck or Two' store.
That'll work just fine for me.

- Gramps
~~ Larry ~~