Head Shavers!!!

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
bigV

Head Shavers!!!

Post by bigV »

Hello this is my first post. I have been reading through most of you threads and I couldn't find too many topics on head shaving, so I decided to create one for you all.

I currently use a mach3 for my face and head, I want to switch over however, I am not sold yet on shaving my head with a DE safety razor.
Anyone with comments?
Darkwolf

Post by Darkwolf »

I have used a DE on my scalp many times, but I have to say that I think that an injector is the ultimate head shaving tool. Because the skin is stretched so tight on the scalp a DE slices any imperfections IME.

That said, in regards to using a DE I find that I do not need nearly as aggressive a setting on a DE to do a good job on my head compared to shaving my face. My "go to" razor for my face is a Futur wide open. When using this razor on my head I use just the opposite, crank it down to 1. Gillette Adj's on 1 won't do the job on my head, but 3 or 4 is enough for my scalp, while I normally shave with these on 9 for my face. Not much experience with fixed head razors on my head (never had the courage to whip out the slant bar!).

If you are fairly experience with a DE give it a go, just go slow, and remember, light to no preasure and you will do fine!! If not, you want to get proficient on your face before you start shaving your scalp with it.

Or get an injector!
Jim

Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.
Mark Twain
FiReSTaRT
As straight as they come

Post by FiReSTaRT »

Has anyone tried the DOVO head-shaver?
"The downfall of any system of government is that it is run by humans." -- Ilija Milicevic
jallen013

Post by jallen013 »

i use a mach 3 on my head and don't plan on changing to a DE any time soon.

i shave my head in the shower first thing in the morning - i'm usually half asleep - and i go really fast. it's for these very reasons i'll stick with the mach 3. i've shaved my head long enough that i go against the grain straight away and my scalp's tough enough that i can make a blade cartridge last about a month.

anyway, this is what works for me - YMMV.
jallen013

Post by jallen013 »

FiReSTaRT wrote:Has anyone tried the DOVO head-shaver?
i haven't tried the dovo but i did try the headblade several years ago when it first came out (they seem very similar). i really wanted to like it but found it far more awkward than just shaving with a regular handled razor. i forced myself to use it for a week then it went in the garbage bin.
Timpac

Post by Timpac »

I have shaved my head twice with a DE. It's a lot tougher than shaving your face, partially 'cause you'll have no visual cues on the back of the head for maintaining angle and you gotta make sure your shave lather is extremely slick. That being said, I did get good shaves, but there are some things that're really just much easier with a multi-blade. Personally, I like the headblade a lot. I tended to damn near hold regular multi-blades by the cartridge when shaving with them, though, so the transition to it wasn't so strange. It does take getting used to, but I can do a quick, once over shave of my head in about 5 minutes with it. For good info on headshaving, http://www.headshaveproducts.com/forums/ is a great site. To sum up a bit of what's been said, you end up shaving your head completely differently than your face. Different razors may work better than the one you use for the face and different soaps/creams will work better or worse than you're used to.
jbeef86

Post by jbeef86 »

Hey BigV,

I just posted this same question in the razors forum.

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11879

I am going to throw my experiences in that post so check it out. But I did do it last night for the first time and it wasnt bad at all.
John
Headshave

Post by Headshave »

The back of the head's the most daunting, as you can't see what's going on. Don't use or rely on mirrors, you could end up slicing by accident, due to the way the mirror-mirror reflection appears and how you'll react to a possible sideways movement.

Use your fingers to feel where there's stubble. Gel the back of your head up. Keep the gel moist with the fingers. It'll feel weird at first, but it's far more effective than looking into mirrors.

Use an adjustable DE, set the adjustable to the safest setting, take the setting up *gradually*. I bought a Merkur Futur *just* for shaving the head, it became used for the rest of my face. :)
Headshave

Post by Headshave »

jallen013 wrote: i really wanted to like it but found it far more awkward than just shaving with a regular handled razor. i forced myself to use it for a week then it went in the garbage bin.
I considered that, as well as the Headblade razor, but read that they clog up far too quickly. Also, the prospect of possibly having to rely on internet "shops" for replacement blades for these things put me off. I shot through packs of mach3 cartridges quicker than the jet flyby in the advert, at least 1 pack a week. The damn things clogged up, more than anything. £5+ a week...? It was getting expensive.

A DE was the only possible answer. I've not looked back since. :)
Mr Bad Example

Post by Mr Bad Example »

Headshave wrote:
jallen013 wrote: i really wanted to like it but found it far more awkward than just shaving with a regular handled razor. i forced myself to use it for a week then it went in the garbage bin.
I considered that, as well as the Headblade razor, but read that they clog up far too quickly. Also, the prospect of possibly having to rely on internet "shops" for replacement blades for these things put me off. I shot through packs of mach3 cartridges quicker than the jet flyby in the advert, at least 1 pack a week. The damn things clogged up, more than anything. £5+ a week...? It was getting expensive.

A DE was the only possible answer. I've not looked back since. :)
I used a Mach3 on my face and head for years. Then I dabbled with the HeadBlade while I was getting used to using my Merkur Long Classic on my face. The HeadBlade was more trouble than it was worth, so one night I was shaving with the Merkur, and I figured, "Why not?"

It was as easy as shaving with the Mach3. No lie.

The other thing I like is that if I get lazy and let my hair grow for a few days, the Merkur will still go right through the hair. Once I had over a week's growth, and I went straight to the Merkur without clipping my hair first. It took longer, but I still got a smooth shave on the first pass.

I don't know why I ever hesitated to use a DE on my head.

[EDIT: Tightened up the prose a bit]
Matt
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I'm with Jeff on this one. The way I shave my head, if I used a DE I would land up in the ER.

One thing I have done since I started *really* shaving is using the 3 pass scheme on my head too. What a difference that has made. My head was quite smooth to begin with, but now.............throw mamma from the train!

Clive
jallen013

Post by jallen013 »

fallingwickets wrote:One thing I have done since I started *really* shaving is using the 3 pass scheme on my head too. What a difference that has made. My head was quite smooth to begin with, but now.............throw mamma from the train!

Clive
i've been shaving my head long enough that the 'ol scalp has gotten pretty tough. one pass against the grain with liberal overlap from stroke to stroke and my head's BBS.
Mr Bad Example

Post by Mr Bad Example »

jallen013 wrote:
fallingwickets wrote:One thing I have done since I started *really* shaving is using the 3 pass scheme on my head too. What a difference that has made. My head was quite smooth to begin with, but now.............throw mamma from the train!

Clive
i've been shaving my head long enough that the 'ol scalp has gotten pretty tough. one pass against the grain with liberal overlap from stroke to stroke and my head's BBS.
Likewise. One pass, and I'm golden.
Matt
pendergrass

Post by pendergrass »

I've been shaving my scalp for 7 years now, and I started off with a twin-blade. I quickly learned that was not the way to go about things, so I switched to a Mach 3 blade, which far improved the circumstances, though not entirely. I then started shaving my scalp with a straight razor, which is by far the best shave I've ever experienced on my scalp. I have difficulty shaving my face and neck due to sensitive skin, and I haven't had great luck with a straight blade on my neck (probably due to its dullness, but maybe just because I'm not very good at it). I'd like to switch to a DE for my face/neck, and a straight on my scalp (though I'm willing to try the DE).

Has anyone here used a straight razor on their face and neck that would care to lend some advise, or a DE on the scalp and lend advise on that?

Also, what's the best way to sharpen a straight blade?
--
Holla.
D