I think I know where alot of the irritation comes from

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
JayBird

I think I know where alot of the irritation comes from

Post by JayBird »

When my face stubble begins to come in, which is about 6 hours after a shave it is extremely "sharp" stubble. The stubble itself irritates the hell out of my neck during the normal movements of my head and neck throughout the day. Before I know it I have red bumps all over my neck that never really get a chance to heal.

Anyone familiar with this? I don't think any type of shaving is going to help me. :cry:
Jay
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

perhaps not but a light lotion or on the opposite end of the spectrum a talc might help
Crunchy Frog

Post by Crunchy Frog »

From the title of this post, I thought perhaps you had met my wife.

Oh, OK, nevermind.

Larry
Ben

Re: I think I know where alot of the irritation comes from

Post by Ben »

JayBird wrote:When my face stubble begins to come in, which is about 6 hours after a shave it is extremely "sharp" stubble.
What kind of blades do you use?
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
av8roc

Post by av8roc »

Hmmm. Obviously you need to shave 3 times a day! :lol:
vespergo

Post by vespergo »

it's great to see all these newcomers on the boards, it'll help increase the knowledge available to everyone.

how long have you been shaving with a DE? the neck is the toughest part to figure out for most newcomers, it took me a little while to get it down , now it's just another part of the face. but keep with it and maybe try a different blade or razor if you're still having problems with your neck after a month of shaving everyday. certain blades give my neck problems, like the us personna's bought in wal-mart and in several other drugstores.

a merkur LH or HD with israeli blades was a savior for my neck area.
Josh
JayBird

Post by JayBird »

I have only been shaving with a DE for a week. I still need to touch up with a Mach 3. Depending on my schedule I don't have time to use a DE and have to use the Mach.

I have always experienced "stubble irritation" and I'm hoping the DE will solve that. I am currently using Merkur Blades while I wait for my Israeli's to arrive. I've been through so many creams and gels trying to figure this all out with no luck :x
Jay
crawlingchaos

Post by crawlingchaos »

To contrast with Josh, I'm quite happy with the us personnas. They seem to be milder on my face than the merkurs, which are what I started with, while still getting a smooth shave. This one spot on my neck regulary started burning a couple hours after a shave, this is quite minimized with the personnas. So the point is, yes, you may want to give a different blade a try, if it still bothers you after another couple weeks.
What neither political party has ever learned is the most basic of all lessons: When you make someone else's character the issue, your own character becomes the issue too.
-David Gerrold
CRR

Post by CRR »

JayBird wrote:I have only been shaving with a DE for a week. I still need to touch up with a Mach 3. Depending on my schedule I don't have time to use a DE and have to use the Mach.
Give it some time. Try different blades and soaps/creams, etc. Also pay attention to hair growth direction. Most people's neck hair grows in various directions and shaving without knowing how exactly the hair grows can cause problems, even if it's not painful.

Stick with it and hopefully things will get better.

For me, the Mach III was the source of some irritation, although only if I tried to get too aggressive. I have pretty tough skin, so I had to go up down and sideways and then again to get some irritation.
Chris.

Steady Boy, Steady!