Newbie Ready for Advice

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
rcymozart

Newbie Ready for Advice

Post by rcymozart »

Hi everyone,

I've been shaving with a Mach3 for a long while now, but always with pain. To the point that I had to shave every other or every third day just to feel like I had healed up enough to shave again. About the time Mantic started posting his videos on YouTube, I went out and got a brush and some Proraso cream. Since then, I can shave every day, though still with some pain, irritation, and razor burn (mostly, I think, from not being consistent with pressing lightly with the razor).

Today, I ordered a Merkur HD and the sampler pack from LetterK as I'm ready to take this to the next level. From what I've seen, I expect to get a much better shave and, hopefully, much less irritation. No irritation would be a dream come true! There's nothing worse than shaving and seeing my face look fine, but my neck look like I scrubbed it with sandpaper and then having to go to work and live with it all day long.

If I can get my act together once everything arrives, would posting before and after pictures be appropriate towards getting advice or tips? Should I wait a couple of weeks to get used to the new equipment before doing so?

Either way, thanks for providing a great resource here!

Robert
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

First of all, Robert, welcome to SMF! We are glad you joined us. It looks like you are getting the right gear to begin your adventure into wetshaving. You didn't mention what kind of brush you have, but since you did mention the Proraso Cream, I will assume you got the Proraso brush as well. If you did, that is a good brush to start with. It is a boar hair brush and eventually you will want to get a badger brush, but the boar will do just fine for now. I have one and I keep it in my rotation and use it especially for soaps. You will find that shaving with a DE razor is much different than your Mach3. Just remember to let the razor do the work, i.e., no pressure. Keep watching Mantic's videos and keep practicing and you will do fine. Be sure and keep us posted on your progress. Again, welcome.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
Rob

Post by Rob »

Robert, nice name by the way, welcome to these fine boards! You've found the right place. Like you, I had to shave every other or every third day back when I used a Gillette Sensor. The Mach3 would rip my face a thousand ways so I had to stick with the Sensor as it gave me the least painful, yet still extremely painful shave.

Since coming to these boards, reading up on shaving, asking questions, and getting the right hardware, I am now able (and happy to) shave every single day with no irritation. Definitely start working on your technique at creating lather now. That way you'll have good lather for when the Merkur and blade packs arrive.

Pictures could help, possibly. I've never had trouble with bumps or ingrowns, but maybe the other guys can help you differentiate between the two. My best guess that is with a few weeks of the Merkur your irritation and neck redness will slowly fade.

You can get an irritation-free shave. I'm proof!
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome to the best shaving community ever!

The number one most important technique to develop in my experience is to learn patience. As you become more patient with the shaving experience, you become so much more relaxed about it and once you are relaxed about it, it becomes an enjoyable experience.

I now liken my joy of shaving to my wife's enjoyment at attending a spa for a couple of hours. I don't worry any longer that showering and shaving can take up to 35 minutes sometimes. It simply doesn't matter to me any longer. Sure, I can do a shave in about 15 minutes or slightly less if I really am in a rush - but I'd rather plan my time so that I can enjoy the shave instead.

Get into pics and posts as soon as you start using your kit. You will be overwhelmed with the amount of advise you will get from all corners of the globe. We are a fearsome bunch here at the SMF forums, and will be your trusted companions throughout your learning experiences and beyond.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Welcome, and I think you'll be pleased to find that shaving becomes more pleasant---both as you do it and the aftereffects. You've probably read it, but let me repeat: good prep, light pressure, correct blade angle.

I had an insight recently: when you rinse your face after the first pass before lathering for the second, you'll feel a fair amount of stubble---more than you would feel after a pass with a cartridge razor. You may unconsciously assume that you're not using enough pressure. Not so. The residual stubble after the first pass is fine. That's why you do a second pass (across the grain after the first pass with the grain). Reducing the stubble in each pass is key. Since you're just starting, I would suggest that you either stop there, or do a third pass across the grain in the other direction. Polish your technique some before trying against the grain, which requires you to know thoroughly a good blade angle from a bad.

Good luck, and enjoy.
rcymozart

Post by rcymozart »

Thanks, everyone! I'm looking forward more and more to when the razor arrives (looks like next Thursday, if UPS tracking is to be believed).

As for my brush, I'm no longer sure of the brand. I picked it up for ~$6 at a RiteAid in town and there's no branding anywhere on the brush. It is a boar brush, though. And the time will soon come for it to be replaced. I've never dropped it, but I noticed this morning that the smallest of cracks had started in the handle. Probably from temperature differences going from hot water to much cooler air in my apartment on a daily basis. I'm not too concerned yet, but it's as good a time as any to start looking for a better quality brush.

Any tips there? Badger hair is a definite, but everything else is a mystery to me. I'd like to not spend much, but get something that isn't cheap in quality, either.

Thanks again!

Robert
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

rcymozart wrote:Thanks, everyone! I'm looking forward more and more to when the razor arrives (looks like next Thursday, if UPS tracking is to be believed).

As for my brush, I'm no longer sure of the brand. I picked it up for ~$6 at a RiteAid in town and there's no branding anywhere on the brush. It is a boar brush, though. And the time will soon come for it to be replaced. I've never dropped it, but I noticed this morning that the smallest of cracks had started in the handle. Probably from temperature differences going from hot water to much cooler air in my apartment on a daily basis. I'm not too concerned yet, but it's as good a time as any to start looking for a better quality brush.

Any tips there? Badger hair is a definite, but everything else is a mystery to me. I'd like to not spend much, but get something that isn't cheap in quality, either.

Thanks again!

Robert
If you are looking for a good badger brush at a great price, I strongly recommend the Savile Row 204 Super Badger. You can get this brush from Charles at QED for less than $50. I bought this same brush after several SMF members recommended it. As with everything else related to wetshaving YMMV, but I love this brush and use it almost everyday. I have another badger and boar I keep in my rotation also, but the SR-204 is my go-to brush.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"