Angels Shining Down?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Angels Shining Down?

Post by mantic »

Gents-- Like you all, I've been getting far superior shaves using a brush and the British creams. But, let me tell you, the stars must've lined up just right this morning, because I think I had the closest, most comfortable shave I've ever given myself. The past few nights I've been applying Em's "skinicidal" aftershave balm/moisturizer before retiring, but haven't noticed any difference shaving the next day. However today I showered, washing my face with QED Man Soap (Peppermint!) and letting it sit there for a few minutes before rinsing it off to let the glycerin take hold of my whiskers. After showering I re-wetted my face and lathered up some Trumper Violet. I used a touch more water than I usually do, and I was afraid the lather might've been too airy, but it seemed to paint on my face OK (Savile Row super) so I went ahead with the shave. I didn't do anything particularly different with the shave--two passes, one with the grain and one across the grain in a criss-cross fashion--and my M3T razor was actually on the downhill side of its cartridge life. But after the shave...my gosh...baby's butt smooth and ZERO irritation, cut, nick, or burn. I couldn't believe it.

Finished up with Trumper Limes skin food (from my new 200ml bottle that just arrived! It'll last years!).

I don't know if was the Em's balm, the QED Man Soap, the Trumper Violet, a combination of them all, or just pure luck, but ya gotta love it when everything comes together.

--Mark
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Mark,

Sounds like you're off to a great start today! I just love mornings like that :-)

Personally, I really think your great shave was due mostly to the QED soap and the extra water in your lathering process. Just recently I found that adding a bit more water to my lather makes a world of difference. Before, I think my lather was too thick. The extra water hydrates the cream and really enhances the lubrication which is what makes for the most comfortable shave possible. I have found this to be the case with all my English creams. Soaps are another story. IMHO.

Vince
:::Vince:::
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Vince-- I'm sure the QED soap played a part. I generally get a better shave when I take a shower first and wash my face with a high glycerin soap like QED. I may have taken a little more time than usual today to massage it in; I hadn't slept well last night so I let the peppermint smell wake me up some. And like I said, I've been using Em's balm for the past few nights so that may have played a part too. *shrug* Whatever...I'm not complaining. :wink:

--Mark