Blade use counting

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

Thanks for the offer Scott but I think I will stick with my wet ware organic blade sharpness sensor. It is located just to the right of the cleft in my chin and is hardwired to give an alarm when it senses a less than perfectly sharp blade passing over it. The instruction manual says I should immediately change blades at that point. It seems to be in good working order and if I ever get to the point that I need an LED light to tell me how many sleeps it has been since I changed the blade I will be in a condition where the nurse wouldn't want me to have anything sharper than a bedpan in my possession.
I might consider an electronic blade aid only if it had a cool sound effect like the RED ALERT alarm from the old Star Trek or a klaxon type submarine Dive Alert.
"AAOOOOOOGA!! AAOOOOOOOOGA! Blade Change ALERT - This is not a drill - repeat THIS IS NOT A DRILL! IMMEDIATE BLADE CHANGE REQUIRED!"
Now THAT has some potential. Everyone will want one. Trust me.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

GollyMrScience wrote:Thanks for the offer Scott but I think I will stick with my wet ware organic blade sharpness sensor. It is located just to the right of the cleft in my chin and is hardwired to give an alarm when it senses a less than perfectly sharp blade passing over it. The instruction manual says I should immediately change blades at that point. It seems to be in good working order and if I ever get to the point that I need an LED light to tell me how many sleeps it has been since I changed the blade I will be in a condition where the nurse wouldn't want me to have anything sharper than a bedpan in my possession.
I might consider an electronic blade aid only if it had a cool sound effect like the RED ALERT alarm from the old Star Trek or a klaxon type submarine Dive Alert.
"AAOOOOOOGA!! AAOOOOOOOOGA! Blade Change ALERT - This is not a drill - repeat THIS IS NOT A DRILL! IMMEDIATE BLADE CHANGE REQUIRED!"
Now THAT has some potential.
Everyone will want one. Trust me.
:lol: :lol: WARNING!!! WARNING!!! Potential hostile blade closing in...

I like the "AAOOOOOOGA!! AAOOOOOOOOGA!" part the best though... :lol: :lol:
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

GollyMrScience wrote:You realize of course that one of the research geeks for the big cartridge shaver systems is monitoring this thread. Realizing they can't add one more blade to the system they will then have an onboard computer to count for us or perhaps a color changing razor cartridge that tells you when you should change the blade rather than leave that big decision to your own sorry self.
They already did. The lube strip losing its colour so fast is no accident. Making the blade look worn out, when it likely isn't yet, is a pretty good plan for them. :wink:
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

GollyMrScience wrote: "AAOOOOOOGA!! AAOOOOOOOOGA! Blade Change ALERT - This is not a drill - repeat THIS IS NOT A DRILL! IMMEDIATE BLADE CHANGE REQUIRED!"
Now THAT has some potential. Everyone will want one. Trust me.
I can't do that, Dave (In best HAL voice)

Actually, some kids I'm working with are using a text to voice module. I could use that, and a loud klaxon, but then I'd have to change the battery with every blade.
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

If I ever did get one of those AAOOOOOOGAH!! alarms I would probably have to change to a new wife at the same time I changed to a new blade.
Hmmmmm..........
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
Lil' Shaver

Post by Lil' Shaver »

Here's what I use to keep track of my blade useage. Its just a paper card taped to the back of my medicine cabinet and I use a magnet to identify how many times Ive used the blade. The HD is for my Merkur HD and the S is for my gold Slant.

Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

Zaniix wrote:"This is a dead parrot!"
"I don't like spam!"

Maybe we could build a razor holder that changes a number every time you pick up the razor to shave yeah yeah, .
There is one out there. I have seen it on B&B but can't seem to find the thread about it. It looked like a regular Mach3 base holder but when you picked the razor up out of the cradle it tripped a counter
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape
ShavingShack
Vendor

Post by ShavingShack »

Is it this?

https://www.drdynamics.com/products/sha ... asp?bhcp=1

I've also seen this around which looks very similar to the suction based dial thing I saw posted earlier:

http://www.shavetracker.co.uk/

and no, we don't stock them!

Dan
vespergo

Post by vespergo »

I usually try to keep a mental note but if i forget and think that maybe I've had too many shaves with the blade then I just toss it, I don't wait for the razor burn.
Josh
shavetracker

Shavetracker - partner needed

Post by shavetracker »

Hi all

I am the inventor of the patent pending "shavetracker" mentioned further up this thread.
I dreamt the idea up one night in the shower, when I realised I never actually know how many times I've used my blade. Having a sensitive skin, I am one of the suckers who pays for Gillette bosses ferraris by throwing my blade in the bin before it gets blunt, to be on the safe side. I hate to think how many blades Ive discarded with only 2 or 3 shaves behind its name!
Anyway, as all inventions go, the initial enthusiasm and optimism got me as far as applying for a patent and creating a website. It then grinded to a halt.
With a fulltime job, I simply havent had time (or money!) to market the product and approach licensees and distributors. I posted the product on ebay, and have made a few sales through my website, but "blade usage counter" is not exactly a popular google phrase!

I need a partner to team up with me to get this product on the market. It has potential, without a doubt. Think about it, shavers are one of the biggest markets there is, and the problem the device solves, is one the majority of shavers can associate with. Its cheap, simple, rustproof, foolproof, already developed, and mass quantities available on short demand and low cost.

The problem lies in the marketing required to get this item out of my bathroom onto shelves.
So, in a nutshell, I need someone who's willing to spend a bit of money on marketing in exchange for 50% of all revenue created.
Why so generous? Because 50% of something is more than 100% of nothing!

I've given up with "invention marketing firms" who offer empty promises and demand massive upfront fees.
I'm not interested in the money for the marketing, Im interested in the profits to be made from mass-selling this clever little gadget.

All contracts to be drawn up by solicitors.

The product can be seen on my website at www.shavetracker.co.uk

Any takers, PM me
Gus