Are electric razors and pre-electric shave lotion any good?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Rocco Balducci

Are electric razors and pre-electric shave lotion any good?

Post by Rocco Balducci »

Just wanna know what everyones take on electric razors is? I've never been able to use them because they leave my skin feeling weird and oily, but wondered if it was just me.
yoyology
Captain Yo

Re: Are electric razors and pre-electric shave lotion any go

Post by yoyology »

Rocco Balducci wrote:Just wanna know what everyones take on electric razors is? I've never been able to use them because they leave my skin feeling weird and oily, but wondered if it was just me.
You're certainly not the only one. Many gents here moved to electrics from cartridge razors because of irritation, then found that the electric was convenient, but gave a sub-par shave.

Welcome to SMF, by the way!
Karl G. Siewert
Librarian and yo-yo enthusiast
Tulsa, OK

"Someday I'll find it, the BBS Connection, the razor, the stubble, and me."
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

My only experience with electric pre-shave oils is limited to 'Lectric Shave unscented, circa 1988. I don't know which I hated more, the 'Lectric Shave or the cheapo Remington that followed. It was enough to make a stock Sensor and Edge gel seem positively luxurious - which they did, when I made the switch in 1990. More recently, I've tried wet/dry shavers and used them with shaving cream. I've used ones by Norelco and Panasonic. In purely relative terms, I prefer the wet/dry - shaving cream combo over a dry electric with an oil solution, since it's closer to wet shaving, and more comfortable. Even using them wet, though, electrics - particularly foils - irritate my skin too much. I get a decent shave off of them, but my face doesn't like me for it. Not only that, but I find them very tedious, especially since I have to over the same spots again and again. They're noisy, too.

~ Nathan
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Rocco -

I'm 55 years old and have used quite a variety of shaving tools over time. I returned to wet shaving about 3 months ago, after around 15 years of electric shaving.

The electric shavers that worked best for me were the foil-type shavers (a Sanyo single-foil shaver, followed by a Braun multi-foil shaver). I could never get a rotary shaver (Norelco) to work well on my neck and throat. With a good-quality foil-type shaver, I was able to press and buzz in every direction until I had mowed down all my whiskers into a uniform smoothness, without skin irritation.

I tried an electric preshave product once - probably William's 'Lectric Shave - and didn't like it. Subjectively, it felt to me much like shaving a sweaty, dirty face, and I didn't observe a noticeably better shave. Since the product has been on the market for many years, however, there are undoubtedly men who find it helpful.

I switched back to wet shaving for a change of experience, as I was already doing fine with an electric shaver. I'm still inclined to revert to an electric shaver for travel.

My wet shaving experience has taken on new dimensions this time around, as I have learned more about building lather from cream or soap than I knew before, and the concept of beard reduction through relathering and multiple passes of the razor is new to my current experience.

I have been involved with a number of Internet forums over the years, and this one is exceptional. The mutual respect and civility that characterize this forum, and the great body of experience made available to all who gather here, make it a great place to hang out.

I welcome you to this great experience :D

- Murray

Post by 2 »

Murray: You have said everything I felt and more. That was a tremendous paragraph you wrote there.

I am 27, have gone back and forth between electric and cartridge and now DE. It will be unpopular to state that with my sensitive skin and very tough beard, electric and a good preshave lotion I can get an almost close as DE shave with less irritation.

I have found the foil type (e.g. Braun) also works best for me. I have a very difficult to shave neck and the foil does a pretty decent job of it. I have tried both the Williams and the Mennen brand of Electric preshave. I also lived in Japan and used a Gatsby brand of preshave. The gatsby was FANTASTIC. I actually miss it a great deal. The mennen works ok and the williams is just too greasy to use.

I enjoy the fun of DE. The passion of all the various steps, the use of a badger brush, and so forth. But I have very difficult to shave skin. So I am going back to my beard mode and will most likely use a DE for neck and cheek trimming only.

The point I am getting is, that if you aren't obsessed with an EXTREMELY close shave, I feel a decent made electric and maybe Mennen pre-shave, or if you can find Gatsby preshave from Japan, is quite good.

There are many choices out there, I feel the point of this forum is to provide great info and allow people to find what works best for them.

Also there are tons of great, decent people here!
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi 2 -

Yes, it appears we have a lot in common (give or take a few years :) ).

I have a beard and only shave my neck and throat, which is tricky territory. I have my technique well worked out with an electric, but I am still working on it with a blade. I'm having a great time, though! :D

I think if I hadn't spent so much money, so quickly, on my new wet shaving hobby, I would have gone back to the Braun. I have no regrets, however.

Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss this beyond this thread.

- Murray

Post by 2 »

Murray,
Indeed indeed. I almost feel obliged to stick to the DE as I have so much respect for the kind and civil people on this forum. I also just love the "gadgetry" (if you can call it that, as its old technology). Also becoming passionate about something is just fun. So I like wet shaving, but blade shaving is harsh on my face...period.

I spent $100-150 on various wet shaving gear and I am reluctant to sell off my merkurhd and blades. I'll try to use it to clean up my neck, throat, and cheeks. If I find i still get irritation bad on my neck I'll throw in the towel and move back to my braun electric.

Oh and in regards to the Gatsby product. I doubt it would be easy to find outside of Japan but here is a pic link of what I am talking about
http://store.yahoo.co.jp/cosmebox/j45077883.html
Maybe if you see it in your local Japanese supermarket, pick it up. Works great.

-Two
godsantagonist

Post by godsantagonist »

i've spent too much money on electric shavers.

i have used king of shaves oil with electrics before though. it was ok.
Birth School Work Death
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Gents,

No need to perpetuate this thread. Rocco the troll has left the building.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi 2 -

Just as some electrics are kinder to the skin than others, so too does this principle apply to razors and blades.

I started with a Merkur Classic (long handle), upon my return to wet shaving. I found it too aggressive on my neck, however. I also just discovered, upon closer examination, that the shaving head is way out of alignment on that razor. I have read about similar problems with Merkurs on this forum, so I am down on Merkurs right now.

After reading a good review on this forum of the Weishi razor, as a gentler and reasonably well-made razor, I ordered one. (Well, actually, I ordered 10, because they were so much cheaper that way :shock: )

I've been shaving with the Weishi for awhile now, and I get much better shaves than I did with the Merkur. Old Gillette Super Speeds and 3-piece Techs are also reputed to be gentle shavers. (In fact, I have a couple of old Gillettes that I just haven't gotten around to trying yet, as the Weishi has been so good.)

So far, I haven't noticed much difference between blades. The change of razor and developing technique have made the greatest difference for me. Most others, however, report a very different experience between brands of blades.

I would urge you to try a gentler razor, and possibly a different blade, before giving up on wet shaving.

- Murray

Post by 2 »

Murray,
Out of curiosity do you have any of the 9 extra you purchased? I wouldn't mind giving it a try. I could pay pal you for one if possible. If not how about a gillette?

I have tried both Feather and Derby Extra. The Derby extra seemed to be a little bit better for my face.

I have a sample pack of blades, its just takes a long time to go through them all. I'll get to the other blades in good time.

Have a great Monday!

-Two

PS Lets move this to PM and save people the hassle of reading our conversation! :)
justme-

Post by justme- »

Just wanted to point that I too have used an electric. Remington version of a Norelco. Gave a pretty good shave with new heads, but always gave irritation, especially on my neck. I found the Lectra pre shave stuff a necessity, stiff irritated but much less a degree. Never felt oily to me.

got to be too much trouble since if I shaved everyday my neck was torn up bad, but if I waited more than 2 days I needed a razor....defeates the purpose IMO.
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

I have also dabbled with electric shavers and had the best results with a high end Remmington using king of shaves kinexium shave oil. I can get a really good shave with no irritation. The main reason I used electric shavers was due to the irritation I got from the devil's own spawn (mach 3's and the like) Now I have seen the light with a DE and brush I am in shaving nirvana. In a nutshell, I not only get a really clean shave but most of all I positively look forward to it.

Tony
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.