New ShaveMyFace.com Dopp Bag Project

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above » Thu May 10, 2007 11:25 pm

Style 3 (flat) with zippered pockets at each end. Each pocket should be about an inch wide with a zipper on top.

Aztecface

Post by Aztecface » Sun May 13, 2007 9:00 am

I like #1 the best. #2 looks too much like my present bag.

How is this project progressing?

What about cost? An estimate?
Regards,
Jani

biomesh

Post by biomesh » Sun May 13, 2007 7:56 pm

Even though it is kinda late, it would be nice if there were snap-in inserts along the inside of the bag that held elastic loops that could be removed or replaced as time passes.
- Robert -

merkur07

Post by merkur07 » Mon May 21, 2007 10:47 am

# 1 looks practical, and I'm all about that. I also took something similar that came with my luggage when I went to Mexico City and dug the fact I could hang it on the back of the bathroom door in my hotel room. It also packed well in my suitcase to boot!
Robert
--------------------
Razors: Cobra, Futur, '59 Fatboy,Gem G-bar,Slant
Blades: Feather ProGuard/Polsilver/Trig Silver Edge
Brush: Merkur Silver Tip
Shaving Creams: Proraso Red and 50+ others

a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above » Mon May 21, 2007 1:49 pm

Initially voted for #3 (with zippered side compartments) then thought a #1 hanging bag would be better. Then I went on a trip and in the hotel thought of how nice a good dop bag woud be. I realized there was no good place to hang it near the sink/mirror where I would do my shaving. There was a towel rack over the toilet tank (:-B ) and one over three feet away at the other end of the counter, the sink being at one end. And of course the shower. So if that is what I may run into on the road, I'm back to #3 which can be put right next to me as I shave. There would still be enough room on the counter for my wife's steamer trunk that doubles as her "toiletry bag". A reality check for a road warrior.

xdhatcherx

Post by xdhatcherx » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:55 pm

Would it be possible to morph a couple of those designs into one? For example create a zippered connection so you can have a hanging piece to attach for when it is needed, or just have a bottom compartmentalized piece for when IT is needed? Does anyone see what I'm saying? :?
Dustin

final_id

Post by final_id » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:24 am

Hanging is a high priority for me, since I travel for work to expensive cities where I end up in teeny tiny downtown olde style hotel rooms. Anyone ever been in the Belvedere or the Ameritania in the theater district in NYC? Ridiculous ...

I like a smaller bag that hangs.

I would also suggest appropriate pockets for -- shaving mug (a round thing of some sort, that would allow the mug to then include items within it without scratchig / damaging); straight razor(s); DE razor(s); creams; brushes. The right dividers / arrangers are paramount, otherwise the bag is just some nice dop kit with an SMF logo on it.

But you shouldn't count my vote and ideas at all unless it's going to be in the $50 or less range. I realize a lot of guys here are involved in purchasing high end "gentlemen's accoutrements" but I'm a bargain hunter. My whole shaving set up was less than $50, and that counts brush.

Just some thoughts ...

Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:33 am

Update: I'm still working on this project, slowly. I'd like to have this ready for shipping by the end of August.

I'll keep everyone informed.

J
Johnnie
Keep it Wet

kenrup
Vendor

Post by kenrup » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:59 pm

xdhatcherx wrote:Would it be possible to morph a couple of those designs into one? For example create a zippered connection so you can have a hanging piece to attach for when it is needed, or just have a bottom compartmentalized piece for when IT is needed? Does anyone see what I'm saying? :?
I agree, I like the hanging but would still like access when hanging isn't feasible.

BlankTim

Post by BlankTim » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:37 am

I'll cast my vote for #2, Good old fashioned DOPP-style kit bag.

The one I have worked flawlessly for me on my trip to Vegas a month ago, but it's had better days. I've looked and looked but I can't find a new one that has that classic kit bag look to it. The one in the photo is very close though.

innotivity

Post by innotivity » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:27 pm

How does #1 work if there is nowhere near to hang it up? If it ends up working like #2 and #3 anyways in that case, then getting #1 is a no brainer. If there is a convenient place to hang it up you're in the money, and if not, then it's still ok.

AlbertAnthrax

Post by AlbertAnthrax » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:19 pm

So whats going on with this?
Paul

Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:38 pm

I think the project is in limbo...

I'd almost forgotten about it till it came up on the net...

We'll just have to wait and see...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...

AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:25 pm

I'll see what I can do to resurrect the thread. I know Johnnie has his hands full at the moment.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs

Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:05 pm

Gents-

We still definitely plan on completing this project. At the moment my wife and I are expecting our second child any day so I've been a little busy the past few months, I've started a small business and all while searching for a new home and job in Texas. We plan on moving out of state within the next 6 months. Probably to DFW or Austin.

For this particular project I am going to try and work with the manufacturer directly. At this point I need to give him our specs and see if he can do it. If he is able to do it I will find out what his requirements are and go from there. I plan on speaking to him sometime this week.

I will keep you updated.
Johnnie
Keep it Wet

Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:36 pm

Oh ya, I also have a 1 1/2 year old son who loves hid daddy. :P
Johnnie
Keep it Wet

Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:13 am

Johnnie,

I figured it was something like that. With all you have going on right now, take your time. We're not going any where and if the interest was there in the beginning, it will be there when you get ready.

Congrats on the new baby and I wish you success in your new business venture...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...

AlbertAnthrax

Post by AlbertAnthrax » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:28 am

Yea you are busy. I was just wondering.. :D
Paul

a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:45 am

New babies, and the wives that just had them, are more important than shave bags. Congratulations. Get back to us when you can.
Dave

Mr. Igg

Post by Mr. Igg » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:10 pm

a-cut-above wrote:New babies, and the wives that just had them, are more important than shave bags. Congratulations. Get back to us when you can.
Dave
:?:

:lol:

(Seriously, congrats! We'll stand by while you take care of clear priorities!)
Bryan