New ShaveMyFace.com Dopp Bag Project

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
verde
Ice Ice Baby

Post by verde »

Johnnie wrote:If you notice, 1 & 3 are very similar. Maybe if we make a bag like 3 with but set up like 1 we can have the best of both worlds.
I like this idea!
-Mike

"If you teach a poor young man to shave himself,
and keep his razor in order, you may contribute more
to the happiness of his life than in giving him a thousand guineas."
--Benjamin Franklin
zoe's dad

Post by zoe's dad »

Johnnie wrote:If you notice, 1 & 3 are very similar. Maybe if we make a bag like 3 with but set up like 1 we can have the best of both worlds. With 3 we can put elastic pockets on the short sides for brushes, elastic bands across the long sides for hair brushes and longer tubes. Doing it this way you can either lay it down on the counter ir have the option to hang it.

J
I'm all for that, in a nice light brown, nothing too dark.
dave
soulshine

Post by soulshine »

Johnnie wrote:If you notice, 1 & 3 are very similar. Maybe if we make a bag like 3 with but set up like 1 we can have the best of both worlds. With 3 we can put elastic pockets on the short sides for brushes, elastic bands across the long sides for hair brushes and longer tubes. Doing it this way you can either lay it down on the counter ir have the option to hang it.

J
i like this idea....something with light brown leather, perhaps some canvas & the name embroidered in black. that would be slick.

s~s
kirkawall

Post by kirkawall »

You can't go wrong with a light brown/tan. Ages well and looks even better after a few years of use. I say all leather, all the way. I will allow myself at this point a modest "woo-hoo!"

best,

k
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

I have always found the hanging kit bags to be the most practicle and usefull. They have a place for everything I need and I know just where everything is without having to rummage about in an old style Dopp bag. That being said I am very much in favor of #1 preferably made from a combination of leather and canvas.
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

I vote for the hanging bag with a bunch of elastic band type holders and maybe to outside zipper compartments on each side. They don't have to be to big. I would prefer a canvas bag. Anyway that's my two cents worth.:D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

I can go for a kit that works flat and as a hanger, so long as the hook can be folded down. Brown is okay. But how about fabric in a tweed look? So where do I sign? :)
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
xChris

Post by xChris »

Color -- black or cordovan
Chris
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

Chaps wrote:I like the zipper utilikit. Can't go wrong with a classic design as that.

Danny
What Danny said.

Greg
Elandur

Post by Elandur »

I personally like the Zipper Utilikit. If they're well made (Which I'm sure they will be!), they can last a long time. I'm sure the others can too, though. I guess I'm a bit biased, my dad has a bag almost exactly like the one in the picture (Though the leather is a lighter color, which may be because of the age, I'm not sure). He's had it since before I was born, though I'm unsure of it's actual age (I'm 20 now, so it's at least that old). He still uses it (Though he has embraced the dark side - Electric shaver!), and there are no problems with it.
It's such a classic looking design, and would look right at home just about anywhere.
If you guys end up making the Zipper Utilikit, I'd definitely be inclined to buy one, assuming one of the places I recently applied to decides to hire me :-D
-=:Vincent:=-
DEF

Post by DEF »

I agree that a flat style like #1 or #3 would be best. I also like the idea of brown leather.

Regardless of style, though, it's a good idea to design the thing from the contents outward -- for e.g., make the thickness of the bag no less than the height of the tallest major-brand cream pot (Trumpers?).

Thanks,
Doug
Doug
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Thanks for all of the great ideas. I'm going to see if we can combine 1 & 3. The majority seems to prefer brown. I think a nice tan canvas with cordovan or chestnut leather would look nice.

J
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Just keep us in the information loop...AD, AD, AD, AD!!!!!!!!!!!!

DISREGARD THAT STATMENT...I resemble that remark...
(Racso) Oscar...
wassomeoneelse

Cool!

Post by wassomeoneelse »

I like the utilibag. I guess because I have always used one like it in the Army. I use one now and a shaving mug fits quite nicely in there with the straight.
Pete_T

Post by Pete_T »

Well it seems a little late, but I like style 3, and I also like that nice matte black leather. Somethig Id suggest is lots of zippers, pull strings and snaps, Ive never liked much elastic/plastic in luggage, feels cheap to me
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Johnnie,

Sounds like we may have a forum going here. What are the chances of getting a protype made and letting us have a look? You sort of need to hurry before my AD disolves since I'm being forced to purchase some new Tabac and a Shave Mac on the advice of Clive and others. Also there's a new Merkur coming out that I proably won't be able to resist.

I'm still in favor of the hanging bag like or similar to the one you have as long as it can sit on a counter without toppling over. I realize you can't have everything and compromise is in order but you've really sparked my interest with this one.

Keep us in the information loop.

Thanks buddy, appreciate it. Sorry about the "buddy", it's a Southern thing. :D
(Racso) Oscar...
Ray

Post by Ray »

#1 and I like the leather and canvas look
A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval. Mark Twain
Bluemando

Post by Bluemando »

I like #2 (Zipper Utilikit) It has a nice traditional classic look to it. I'm into 'retro' :wink: #3 is "okay" but it looks a bit "busy" to me, with the multiple zippers and whatnot.
-- Glenn --
drumana

Post by drumana »

can't go wrong. they are all good. think i like the hanger the best though.
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

I am obviously late to this, but #1 or #3 or some combination thereof in leather and canvas would be great. The inside should not have a platic lining (like the one I know have that rips and turns brittle) and it should clean easily.

Oh happy day, something new to buy that is shave related.
Dave LeBlanc

Of a thousand shavers, two do not shave so much alike as not to be distinguished.
Samuel Johnson: Boswell's Life, Sept. 19, 1777