Shaving supplies in Amsterdam?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
hedliniv

Shaving supplies in Amsterdam?

Post by hedliniv »

I will have a 20 hour layover in Amsterdam, so I have just enough time to do some shave shopping! Any great ideas or places to go? Any particular products to look for or avoid?

I would love any insights or advice!

George

P.S. - I will be is St Petersberg Russia as well so the same questions apply...
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Stop in any pharmacy and look for the Dutch made "De Vergulde Hand" line of mens products. They make an excellent and inexpensive shave soap and cream. The cream is one of my personal favorites and shaves as well as or better than the three T's.

Chris
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Good lord Chris,

If there's anyone whose judgement about shaving creams/soap can be trusted then it's yours..... :)

Are you really so impressed by De Vergulde Hand?? Equals or surpasses even the three T's from good old England?
That's a mighty compliment for this 450 years old formula!

Pleasant thing is, that it's a really very cheap shaving cream, balm and soap and available almost everywhere.

I do like it a lot myself, particularly the scent.

As for Amsterdam: no grooming shops worth visiting, but THE shop to be visited is PGC Hajenius tobacconists at the Rokin: one of the most beautiful cigar "temples" in the world.
Don't forget to visit this one George, you won't regret!!

Peter
Peter
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Peter:

Yes, I am quite impressed with several of the "De Vergulde Hand" products. The shave cream in particular is a stand out. I love the fragrance and the efficacy is slightly better than the three T's for me. Also, the formulation/ingredients is superior to the English products. In addition it's very inexpensive making it on eof the best all around shave creams IMO.

Chris
Ben

Post by Ben »

drP wrote:GoTHE shop to be visited is PGC Hajenius tobacconists at the Rokin: one of the most beautiful cigar "temples" in the world.
Don't forget to visit this one George, you won't regret!!

Peter
True. I've been there. The wall of pipes also is quite a sight to behold.
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

I've been hearing abount De Vergulde Hand for a while now. Anyone know of a North American source?

Greg
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

It has been said that there's a large stock of De Vergulde Hand at Tony Espo's place...... :mrgreen:

De Vergulde Hand translated in English: The Gild Hand
Peter
BklynBoy

Post by BklynBoy »

+1 on PGC Hajenius, my favorite cigar shop anywhere (including the cigar temples in London). I also suggest that after getting your cigar at Hajenius, take a short walk to the bar:
De Still
Spuistraat 326 -A 1012 VX
Amsterdam,

This tiny place usually has more than 400 whiskeys in stock, plays great jazz and always has a nice crowd of welcoming Amsterdamers
Gary
reginald-van-gleason

Post by reginald-van-gleason »

When I was in Amsterdam I did see some Tabac shaving soap available at the local drug stores-

excuse me... pharmacies.

Sorry. Didn't want to create any confusion there. :D
hedliniv

Post by hedliniv »

Keep the ideas flowing! 5 More days till I'm there!